First Love (Part 1)

(ii) Memories of Our Childhood

This would probably be a two-shot...here's part 1

---------------

 

“Geez Hae. Just go and ask her out. You’re seriously too obvious.”

 

“What are you blabbing about?”

 

“Hae, you day in, day out. We all know what that means.”

 

“Not following you Hyuk.”

 

“Why else would a boy tease a girl?”

 

“Cus she’s…tease-able?”

 

“That’s not even a word!!!”

 

“Look, I like her. But I don’t know man. What would I do? Just tell her that I like her? And then what?”

 

Hyukjae, the wiser one out of the both of them, rolled his eyes and exhaled loudly.

 

“Hae… you’re just unbelievable.”

 

“Well Mr Smarty Pants… tell me then, what should I do?”

 

“Just tell her.”

 

“And then?”

 

“That’s for you to figure out.”

 

Both the 12 year old boys continued their walk home in silence. Donghae, thinking of ways to tell the girl that he was interested in her. Hyukjae, on the other hand, was just enjoying the calm scenery around him. When Donghae reached his house, he turned to wave as Hyukjae gave him a nod in acknowledgement. He would then continue to walk for another minute to reach his own house.

 

A few hours passed and Donghae was beginning to feel restless. He couldn’t come up with a way to tell Jessica, the girl he supposedly liked, that he wanted to be more than just friends. No matter how much he thought about it, it would be weird to suddenly stop teasing her and become all lovey-dovey. He wasn’t even sure if that’s what he wanted.

 

After dinner, Donghae sneaked out of his house and made his way to consult with his, much wiser, friend.

 

“Hyukjae-ya!!” Donghae’s whisper was more of a scream, “Hyukjae!! Open the window!”

 

Donghae continued to throw pebbles to Hyukjae’s window, in an attempt to attract his attention. Hyukjae’s house was two-storey high, but that has never stopped Donghae from climbing up the old tree to get into Hyukjae’s room. The tree has been of convenience for both Donghae and Hyukjae for years – and many more to come.

 

“Hyukjae, you douche! I can see your shadow through the curtain! I know you’re in there. Open the window!”

 

Hyukjae, caught red handed, opened the window with a pout on his face.

 

“Geez Hae. Don’t you think we’re a bit too old for this?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Use the door man. It’s not like my parents don’t know you’re always here.”

 

Donghae ignored the suggestion and instantly sat on his friend’s bed.

 

“Hyukkie… I’ve been thinking a lot about how to tell Jessica”

 

“Man… you’re still talking about that.”

 

“How would I tell her? You’ve got to tell me Hyukkie.”

 

“First of all, do you even like her?”

 

“You told me that I do. So I guess, yes, I do like her.”

 

“You think you like her, cause I TOLD you that you liked her?” Hyukjae was more amazed than surprised.

 

“Yeah. You’re always right.”

 

“Donghae…” Hyukjae’s voice softened, “you can’t just take everything I say seriously… you’ve got a brain, you can think for yourself, can’t you?”

 

The question hang in the air while Hyukjae remained his gaze on Donghae. The latter was obviously deep in thought – his eyes focused on the round red carpet below his feet.

 

“Hae?”

 

“You’re right. I do depend on you a lot.”

 

Hyukjae nodded and motioned to sit beside Donghae on the bed.

 

“But…” Donghae continued, “how would I know if I like her?”

 

“Well… do you always think about her when she’s not there?”

 

no.

 

“Do you wish you could be with her all the time?”

 

no.

 

“Do you secretly wish she would give you all the attention in the world?”

 

no.

 

“Would you do anything to make her happy?”

 

no.

 

“When she’s sad, do you wish you can run to her and make all her pain disappear?”

 

no.

 

Donghae was more confused than ever. He had remained silent when Hyukjae asked him all those questions. For once, he had kept his answers to himself.

 

“If I felt all that … does that mean I like that person?”

 

“nope.”

 

Donghae exhaled – part of him relieved, part of him slightly upset.

 

“then?”

 

“it would mean you LOVE that person.”

 

Donghae stood from the bed in a blink of an eye. He was confused. Scared. Happy. Sad. He felt emotions he didn’t even know existed. But most of all, there was a part of him that already knew.

 

He knew that he loved someone.

 

But he never dared to say it aloud.

 

“Hyukkie, I have to go home.” And with that, Donghae opened the door, and exited the house.

 

Hyukjae smiled, feeling a sense of accomplishment in making his friend realise his love for Jessica. He just thought that Donghae was in complete shock for him to use the door to exit the house – for the first time in years.

 

But – perhaps – Hyukjae was not as wise as they both thought.

 

-----

sorry guys, for not updating in like FOREVER. Just got caught up in life y'know.. hahaha

Anyways, what's with Donghae hacking SM's youtube huh?? FREAKING LOVE THAT VID OF HIM AND HYUK