Front Row

(ii) Memories of Our Childhood

 

“Hey yo! Open the door…” Donghae knocked on Hyukjae’s bedroom door as though he was a policeman.

 

It was only 7 in the morning and there was about an hour and a half left till school starts. Hyukjae didn’t have to wake up so early. He hates this time of the day.

 

“ready for school?” Donghae asked sarcastically as Hyukjae greeted him with closed eyes.

 

“Why are you always so early? Don’t you ever sleep?”

 

“Well… it’s just a waste to sleep. Life is out there you know… you have to live it!”

 

Hyukjae went back to his bed, half ignoring his friend’s rants.

 

“Hae, stop using lines from movies.”

 

The slightly older boy was about to pull his blanket over himself to keep the morning chill from his body, but Donghae was faster. He completely took the blanket off and jumped on Hyukjae.

 

“Come on!!!! It’s the first day of grade 4!”

 

“Thanks for reminding me that holidays are over, loser!” Hyukjae pushed Donghae off. That boy just doesn’t understand the term ‘personal space’.

 

The two boys have known each other since they were babies. None of them remembered how or exactly when they began to silently agree to be the best of friends. But neither of them admitted it. At their age, it was pretty lame for boys to have “best friends”.

 

“Oh come on. Seriously. Let’s go. I wanna be early cus I wanna see if we’re in the same class.”

 

“Douche. Of course we are. We have the same surname.”

 

Actually, that was a theory made up by Hyukjae himself. 2 years ago, they realised that they have always been in the same class and neither of them could understand why. So Hyukjae took the liberty to make up  this theory. And Donghae, being Donghae, believed in it. Of course, he didn’t realise that their friend, Lee Sungmin, had only been in their class in the first grade. Therefore, nullifying Hyukjae’s theory about the classes grouped by surnames.

 

“But still…. Let’s go. I want to choose the best seat for us.”

 

“Ugh… you’re going to sit at the front again, right?”

 

“Daddy said that it’s the best seat!”

 

Hyukjae sat up, “Can I choose our seat this year?”

 

“If I let you, then can we go school now?”

 

Hyukjae weighed the options. He really hated waking up early. But knowing that the unfortunate fate of his school year could be changed, he immediately stood up and prepared himself to go to school. Finally, in all his years of living, this was the first time he would be able to choose their seat!

 

Donghae was the type to listen in class and put his hands up for every question asked by the teacher. Hyukjae, on the other hand, preferred to put his head on the table and rest during class. So sitting in the front row was never a good thing for him.

 

But… why they never thought of sitting separately… none of them knew.

It was just not an option.

 

The walk to their school was loud – as always – with Donghae chattering about the movie he watched yesterday and Hyukjae pretending he was interested. Truth be told, Hyukjae couldn’t care less about movies. But listening to his best friend talk is probably the one thing that brightens his days.

 

As soon as they reached the school, Donghae dropped his heavy bag on the floor and ran towards the school’s bulletin board. Hyukjae just stood there in amazement as he picked up Donghae’s bag and carried it with him. Who in their right mind would leave their bag at a random place? Hyukjae shook his head once. Donghae would forever be a kid.

 

“Hyukkie! Hyukkie!!!” Donghae ran back towards his friend, “we ARE in the same class.”

 

“told you…”

 

“alright now, it says we’re in 4B. Let’s go find that class.” Donghae turned around when he realised Hyukjae wasn’t following him, “Hyukkie? Aren’t you coming?”

 

“Are you forgetting something Hae?” Hyukjae asked

 

Donghae tilted his head, thinking very hard. “No. I brought my umbrella. I brought my pencil case. Ahhhh!!!!” He shrieked, “I forgot to bring my wallet!”

 

Hyukjae shook his head for the second time that day, “not that! You never bring your wallet anyway.”

 

“What? What did I forget then?”

 

Hyukjae raised his left hand, where Donghae’s bag was hanging. “This!”

 

An hour passed and all students were now ready to start off their school year. They were lined up in front of their respective classes, waiting for their teacher to arrive and unlock the classroom.

 

“Good morning students! You may all come in.”

 

They all scrambled in their class, some eager and some just wanted to sit.

 

“Now students. Since you are already in grade 4, I will assign you to your seats.”

 

Hyukjae’s eyes widened. The whole reason he woke up early and agreed to leave for school early… is so that he could choose where they would sit. But this teacher oh-so-conveniently stole that right from him.

 

“Any ideas on how we should group you guys?” The teacher asked her students.

 

“ooh! Ooh! Me! Me!” Donghae jumped and raised his hand in the air.

 

“yes? What’s your name, sweetie?”

 

“Lee Donghae! Why don’t we group based on surnames?”

 

“That sounds like a great idea!!!”

 

Donghae clapped for himself. He was proud to come up with such a genius idea.

 

“Okay, now we’ll start with Donghae’s surname since he gave us this idea.” She turned to him and smiled, “All the ‘Lee’ students fill up the front rows.”

 

Donghae smiled a really wide smile. He was proud of himself and when he turned to Hyukjae, he was sure Hyukjae was proud of him too.

 

But Donghae was oblivious to Hyukjae’s faltered smile and loss of hope in life. The taller boy followed his eager friend, dragging his feet and bag to the seat Donghae, once again, chose for them.

 

Donghae always gets what he wants.

 

----

Hey readers...

First chapter here.

Sorry, this one is rushed. I just hope it makes sense... 

Do comment and tell me if it's good or not :)

Thank you