surprise, surprise;;

Disappointment, Heartbreak, and Sparks

Title: Disappointment, Heartbreak, and Sparks

Characters: Kim Jongin; Han Yoon Ji; Huang Zitao; Kim Eun Hye; Do Kyungsoo; Oh Sehun;; featuring Park Mi Nam, Wu Yifan, Kim Joonmyun, Kim Minseok, Lu Han, Park Chanyeol, Zhang Yixing, Byun Baekhyun, and Kim Jongdae

Description: Their ending was confusing, but it lead only to two things—disappointment and heartbreak; until another person came along, and added another to the equation of her emotions.

||to fully understand this oneshot's plot, you may read Tao's oneshot, “When The Clock Struck Twelve” first||

the narration of this story will switch from first person to omniscient third person with the change obvious enough for the reader to realize, yet it will not be stated point-blank;

do enjoy;;


Yoon Ji racked her brains of a way to apologize to Zitao. A sigh escaped her lips, and she immediately thought of a somewhat brilliant idea.

Her feet quickly scrambled towards a room, grabbing a paintbrush, a canvas, and some paint.


I was determined to make Zitao forgive me. Of course, part of my reason was to erase my bad reputation with his friends (specifically Jongin), but mostly, it was for my relationship with Zitao. I wanted to stay friends with him. After all, he knew my intentions from the start.

I felt bad; no, wait, I still feel bad. He was nice to me all the time, yet I treated him like some undeserving piece of crap—which he obviously isn't.

I was lucky to have him; many girls would've given a lot just to be Zitao's girlfriend. I didn't appreciate him. Maybe what they said was true, you don't realize what you have until they're gone.

My fingers traced the now-dry paint that stained the canvas. He better forgive me after this.


The long wait was excruciating for the troubled girl. She shifted her weight from one leg to the other, though both were already tired. She yawned helplessly, and her eyes shot to look at the people ahead of her.

Only three people more, she thought, groaning inwardly.

She was in line, buying ingredients for a homemade cake. It was her apology gift for Zitao. She knew how much the boy-at-heart loved cake (yes, she actually paid attention to the Chinese's whims).

The moment she looked up, the cashier looked at her, making her gasp.

It was Eun Hye, and for a moment, Yoon Ji thought of running away.

She walked towards the conveyor belt, placing the products gently on top, and the ingredients were scanned by Eun Hye.

Yoon Ji nervously smiled at the cashier, saying, “I'm really sorry, I'll make it up to you, I promise.”

Eun Hye smiled back, making Yoon Ji's eyes morph into owl-like ones, surprised. “It's fine, Zitao explained everything to me last night. He wanted to apologize to you—that's why he was trying to talk to you,” she said, removing much of Yoon Ji's tension.

Sorry,” she started, “I'm really a heavy sleeper. I didn't even know that Zitao was there.” Her voice was low, yet the words had a sincerity that could melt the iciest of hearts. “I just heard his voice message earlier, and I—I just knew that I had to make him something to compensate,” she looked down, shame creeping into her being.

It'll be fine,” Eun Hye consoled, scanning the last of Yoon Ji's products with the laser gun. “Zitao's not one to hold grudges. The ones you should worry about is his friends,” she then winked at the befuddled girl, adding, “especially Jongin.”

I dragged the shopping bag to my kitchen, placing its contents on the counter. I started making the cake, mixing all the needed ingredients for the chiffon. As the mixer did its job, I split some eggs—egg whites into a bowl, yolks in another. I added sugar to the egg whites, and removed the bowl of dough from the mixer. There, I put the mixture of egg whites and sugar, and watched as it turned frothy and was made into icing.

After a few seconds, I put a few drops of red food coloring, and it soon turned into a pinkish substance. I stared at the small piece of paper that Eun Hye left inside the paper bag.

Zitao's staying at my place for today—you should go later!”

I sighed. “This is going to be a long day,” I said as I continued baking, and soon enough, the strawberry shortcake was done.

I grabbed a box, big enough for the cake, and started decorating it. It was navy blue, and I started to draw miniature stars on them, even a shooting star.

I wrote a note on the lower right corner, saying, “If I ever see a shooting star, I'd wish for you to forgive me! For now, I'll just ask you.” with a tiny emoticon of a smiling person put beside it.

The cake was small, yet it looked delicious, even for me. It had strawberries following the edge, also in a circular fashion, much like the cake. White and pink icing decorated the whole cake, and in the top's center, written in pink was a “Will you please forgive me?” with a star-shaped candy on the end.

I was hoping that he would—all this effort shouldn't go to waste, right?

The petite female had the box in her hands, a nervous, yet warm smile plastered onto her face. She was wearing a white shirt, painted with “I'm really sorry; please forgive me!”. She let out a huff of air, and pressed Eun Hye's doorbell.

Eun Hye opened the door and smiled. “Oh, hey, Yoon Ji! Come on in!” she said, later seeing the shirt that Yoon Ji wore for the “occasion”.

I'm hosting a party—wanna stay? It's Christmas eve, after all!” her happiness seemed to be highly virulent; Yoon Ji then found herself chuckling. “Sure, as long as you let me see Zitao later,” Eun Hye pulled her inside and the other girl gasped.

Woah. Your house is just—oh my God. It's so beautiful!” Yoon Ji said, eyes marveling at the sight. The walls and ceiling were of a sky blue color, and clouds adorned the uppermost part, making it seem as if they were looking at the day sky. The pieces of furniture were almost all white, and the floor was covered with a green carpet—it mimicked grass perfectly—with yellow spots that looked like tiny daisies.

Eun Hye laughed mirthfully, mumbling a quick “thank you” before dragging the other into the kitchen.

Hey, hey. Would you help me cook the food for the party later?” she said, sitting on a wooden chair. “Oh, sure! I'd be glad to help,” Yoon Ji answered, her hands placing the box of cake on the table.

Her eyebrows were knotted, sweat dripping from the contours of her face, down her chin. Her focus was unrivaled, making Eun Hye gape at her. Yoon Ji's fingers flew over the keyboard, typing unknown codes and fixing Eun Hye's wrecked blog almost immediately. Finally, a smile grazed her lips as she pressed the “Save” button on the screen's upper right corner.

Is this good enough?” Yoon Ji asked, smiling at the other female. The other's jaw was dropped, and was already impressed the moment Yoon Ji started typing.

Thank you for the help! Oh gosh, it's beautiful!” she started pointing at different features of her new and improved blog, expressing how much she loved the details.

Oh—Yoon Ji! It freaking moves! It's so cool!” Eun Hye scrolled over the small selection, gasping in awe every time the picture moved to unravel a menu.

Those are just the basics. It's quite easy to do, once you get the hang of it,” she stated, bliss was what she felt with Eun Hye's compliments.

Why do I have to learn this when I have you?” Eun Hye suddenly hugged Yoon Ji, and the other hugged back with glee. “Thanks for all the trust, but, unnie, don't you want to learn?”

Eun Hye chuckled, embarrassed. “I've no patience with these things, so I'll let you handle it,” she jumped up at a small 'ting!' heard from the kitchen. She walked briskly towards the room, but not without grabbing Yoon Ji's hand first.

The smell of freshly baked cookies wafted through the air, and the two gladly sniffed it, letting the enticing scent register in their brains. “Unnie, it smells so good! I hope that those pabos still like decorating Christmas cookies!” Yoon Ji said, hands covered with thick mittens to take the baked goodies from the oven.

She put the still-hot metal plate on top of the marble counter, giggling as Eun Hye tried to take one. “Unnie, that's still hot,” she reprimanded, making the older female laugh. “I know—just wanted to try, okay?”

I nonchalantly knocked on Eun Hye noona's door, with Zitao hyung pressing the doorbell. He looked joyous, obviously because he got a new girlfriend on Christmas eve. Obviously, I was quite butthurt, jealous, a more formal term, because I can't be with the one I like.

Before I could sigh in much sadness, Zitao hyung's new girlfriend opened the door, grin reaching her ears. She pulled us inside—her strength surprised me—and made us sit on the white sofas.

Jongin,” she said, emphasizing my name, “don't mess with the couch's covers. I just changed them yesterday,” she quickly told me, remembering the time when I spilled soda on her old sofa. I nodded, making her warm smile return.

Her house looked like a daycare's room; it made me relax immediately, smiling at the new, childish design. It was then, that I noticed another pair of ladies' shoes waiting beside the door. Eun Hye noona went in the living room, holding a tray of Christmas cookies and some decorating materials (edible, of course).

A smaller girl followed her from behind, holding a small box fit for someone's birthday. I almost laughed—it looked as if she was going to confess to someone. I couldn't see her face clearly, mostly because of the curtain of auburn hair that hid it. She put the box down and stood up straight. I gasped almost inaudibly, recognizing the girl.

It was Zitao hyung's previous girlfriend, Han Yoon Ji.

I stood there, nervous about their reaction on seeing me there. I saw Jongin's mouth open slightly, surprised as to why I was here. I cleared my throat, capturing their attention.

Yah, Zitao,” I started, jokingly putting my hands on my waist as if I was mad. I broke out into a small smile, showing him my shirt. “Do you like my shirt? I made it especially for you,” I had my hands in a “ta-da!” kind of way, making him chuckle. “I'm really sorry for doing all that shi—I mean, crap, to you. You didn't, and still don't, deserve it.”

I grabbed the box and pushed it to him, and he held it in his arms. I bowed 90 degrees; it hurt my back, yes, but it was worth it. I was still bent, and I mumbled out words as loud as I can, saying, “Forgive me?”

He laughed, making me tense. “Straighten up already, I know how much you hate bowing!” I did exactly as told, laughing along. “Oh thank goodness, I felt like an old woman with osteoporosis!” The other people in the room laughed as well, and that's when I noticed some other people.

Luhan, Yixing, Yifan—or Kris, whatever, Jongdae, Minseok, Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Chanyeol (wearing his creepy smile), Joonmyun, and Mi Nam.

Why was Mi Nam here, anyway? Meh, whatever. I couldn't care less.

Zitao flashed me a grin, “Maybe if this cake is good enough, I'd forgive you--” I interrupted him quickly. “Yah! You know how good I am in baking!”

He raised his hands in defeat after putting the cake down. “I know, I know. Of course I forgive you. I wasn't even mad at the first place, Yoon Ji,” he opened his arms wide, and I grabbed him in a friendly hug, catching Eun Hye unnie's award-winning smile.

I broke away quickly, grabbing the canvas that I had painted earlier. “Here, keep it! I worked hard on that!”

They all looked shocked—who wouldn't be?

I gasped at Yoon Ji's painting, an unstoppable curve forming on my lips. It was beautiful—simple, yet wonderful.

It was a painting Seoul at night, sky dotted with stars and the moon, and the Han River, plus some skyscrapers in the distance, filled the view below. The painting seemed to twinkle, both from the celestial bodies and the buildings' light. Even I, had no idea that Yoon Ji possessed this talent. This was inspired from one of our dates—the one where I took her to Café Gureum just for us to enjoy looking at the scenery.

I looked at my friends. They were also amazed, none of them looked at the canvas blankly—not even the troll, Jongdae (don't misunderstand—I love all of my friends, including him).

I placed the canvas down and clapped at Yoon Ji, making her stare in confusion.

Thanks, Yoon Ji,” were the only words that left me.

The party commenced, all fourteen people in the house enjoyed themselves, and Yoon Ji thought of finally confessing to Jongin. Before that, she walked to the kitchen, about to get herself some water, when she accidentally bumped into Mi Nam.

“Hey, Mi Nam unnie,” she started, testing the waters. “What brings you here?”

She laughed at the other's awkwardness, replying with a line from SHINee's song, “Hey! Why so serious~?” Yoon Ji giggled along, slightly growing comfortable. “Did Luhan invite you?” she asked, knowing about their dating fling since 4 months ago.

Of course he did—we're together, Yoon Ji!” The younger girl was shocked, then she sighed. “Lucky you. I-I've been wanting to confess to Jongin oppa for years—you have no idea how dense that person is!”

Just confess straight-on. If he likes you, he likes you, and he'll accept your love. If he doesn't, then go find another man—you'll feel the spark, and then, you'll know that he's the one,” Mi Nam said easily, not even faltering just a tiny bit.

Okay, unnie. I will,” Yoon Ji said, gathering her guts.

A deep sigh escaped her lips as she made her way to Jongin, clutching the pouch of chocolates. She finally spotted the mess of his hair, when she saw a person with him. She froze and stared, eavesdropping unconsciously.

Hey, Jongin,” Kyungsoo started, and the other mmm-ed in acknowledgement. “When are we going to tell them?”

Tell us what? Yoon Ji wondered mentally, still looking at the two friends.

When do you want to tell them? I'm okay with telling them, you know. I love you, hyung.”

At that moment, Yoon Ji felt three things. Shock, for obvious reasons. Disappointment at Jongin, for being attracted to the other (Yoon Ji had nothing against same relationships—she only thought that this was extremely unexpected), and a small heartbreak, because she knew that Kim Jongin, the man that she had admired for years, will never be with her.

 


epilogue;

The cold wind of winter bit the exposed skin on her hands as she walked along the streets of Myeongdong. She spotted a newly opened store on her left, and there was a bounce in her step as she approached it. Unlike the other shops, this one contained clothing both for men and women, and so she entered, pushing the glass door open.

She looked around, and a beige fedora hat caught her eye.

This will go well with my new coat, she thought, as she reached for it. After a few seconds, she looked at her hand, that was not in contact with the hat, but another man's arm.

She stared at him, momentarily dazed.

How handsome.

Smiled, he did, and gave you the fedora. “It's okay, there are probably more of those,” he said while chuckling.

She couldn't help but notice that he had a slight lisp.

And cute, too, she thought, letting a smile out as well.

Hey, I'm Sehun. What's your name?” He asked politely. “I'm Yoon Ji,” she answered in the same manner; her eye smile made the other fall in love at that precise moment.

He held out a hand, and when their fingertips touched again, they thought of the same thing.

These are definitely the sparks I was looking for.


So, hello again, guys! I'm really sorry if I disappointed you with this. I'm sorry if you weren't expecting sudden KaiSoo there. If you aren't satisfied, please tell me, so I can make a Kai-centric oneshot.

This one was mostly about the girl's mission to be forgiven, and the sparks with Sehun, so I think I am going to make a REAL Kai oneshot. Sorry for letting you down. /shot

Kai's kinda my bias, so /welp/.

I had the urge to put a plot twist, OTL.

Mianhaeyo. 미안해요. [lol did I even write that Hangul right? I DIDN'T COPY PASTE I SWEAR]


post-script;;

I'll try to make another oneshot connected to this (so yeah not a oneshot anymore aaaw), and I will post it here, if my other friends (HEY THERE GUYS.) allow me to do so. If not, then, maybe I'll post it on my own account? ㅋㅋㅋ~

p.p.s;;

I got the idea of the beige fedora from the teaser of “What Is Love”.

Sehun had that hat, left it in the room, went out, and then, Kai danced with it. ㅋㅋㅋ~

안녕! Goodbye!