Do...I know you?

Matchmaker

 

They met for a very first time when they were eighteen, on a blind date.

Sehun would never forget the dumfounded glint in Jongin’s eyes when he made a greeting “Hi, are you Kim Jongin? I’m Sehun, your date.” and Sehun’s embarrassing face would be a never-ending piece of trifle Jongin could tell over and over again from year to year.

 It was a surprise to both of them back then because their target partners were totally different but as soon as the part of who set them up for the date was revealed, it no longer sounded weird at all. That was something Park Chanyeol definitely did for his terrible sense of humor and the two young boys could no doubt imagine their hyung was observing them from somewhere with his binocular, laughing the out of him while they were struggling in the most awkward situation.

Then again you would never know what you got if you didn’t take the risk. After the mess of that night Sehun made good friend with a straight male who by the way was a very talented dancer and Chanyeol got himself a potential cohort in playing prank on Sehun. “I feel like I’m being used”, Jongin dramatically whined but the smirk at corner of his lips denounced his enthusiasm.

One of the main reasons they kept on their childish game was that Sehun didn’t seem to mind it at all. Well, he always yelled at them for sure but never stayed mad for long even though there was a time they called the younger boy and faked the voice to be a secret admirer continuously in three days before their beloved dongsaeng found out them being behind the joke the whole time.

However, this time was different. Because they had sworn over their dead bodies that they would never meddle in his love life again and all Sehun could think now was how to kill them when he got back home.

 

The prank started quite familiar with a phone call.

“Hey, what’s up dude?”

“I need you a favor Sehun. I asked Chanyeol but he was still stuck in Jeju from yesterday because of the storm and I….”

“Wooo wooooo, calm down man. Breathe first and I’ll help, don’t worry.”

“Okay. I’m running late for the audition of the next play and I forget I will have an appointment with my doctor in 30 minutes.”

“You saw a doctor? I didn’t know you were sick”

“Yeah, yeah it’s not important though. The point is I took a test back then so could you go there and get the result for me?”

“Oh…okay, no problem. I don’t have any class this morning anyway.”

“Great! I’ll text you the address. Thanks man!”

“You’re welcome.”

 

Sehun regretted the second he walked through the glass door of that office.

Being the youngest professor in history of Seoul University, he was supposed to be wiser, turned around and saw himself out as fast as possible right when the red heart shape signboard caught his eyes. But nope, he preferred to be the dumbest person in the world and obliviously approached the receptionist, asking for an appointment under Kim Jongin name. That girl led him to a small room in the back and the moment he stepped inside, he knew he was trapped.

“Have a seat please. Doctor Lee will see you in a minute.”

With that she closed the door, leaving him bewildered for a while.

First of all this was definitely not a normal consulting room because there was no medical appliance anywhere.

Secondly they hung a lot of happy couples’ photos on the wall and the air here kind of smelling like lavender.

So up to his fast conclusion whoever going to meet him was obviously not a real doctor. Maybe she’s a therapist….. Or a matchmaker.

 

A matchmaker.

 

You gotta be kidding me!

 

Sehun thought it’s still not late for him to turn back and ran for his life but when he’s about to reach the knob, the door suddenly opened, revealing a middle aged woman who he assumed to be Doctor Lee.

“Where are you going dear?”

She gave him the most questioning look that Sehun abruptly had a feeling of guilty for intending to ditch on her although he was actually the only one victim here.

“Er….nothing.” he scratched his neck awkwardly, shrugged shoulders a bit “Just wandering around.”

The wrinkles on her forehead slowly faded away and replaced by a warm smile as she tightened the folder against her chest and walked past him toward her desk.

“Hi, I’m Lee Jieun. Sorry for making you wait….” she took a quick look on the file before dropped her attention back to him “Oh Sehun. Like I informed Jongin on the phone, we finally found a perfect girl for you and….”

It was like big thunder above his head and Sehun couldn’t help but jerked back while holding up both of his hands to make her stop.

“Woooo, wait wait. First of all, how do you know my name? And what the heck is a perfect girl for me?”

Doctor Lee seemed not impressed by his shocking reaction, not a little. Instead, she chuckled and moderately moved the wheeled chair closer to the edge of the table so that the distance between them was shortened.

“Well, look like your friend didn’t tell you about this huh?”

“No he didn’t and he wouldn’t have a chance to explain it either because I’m so gonna murder him after leaving your office.”

Sehun tried to compose himself from cursing out loud but his words were fierce enough to scare the elder woman as he saw her widen her eyes behind her old glasses.

“I think he was just trying to help you.”

“Help me? By finding me a girlfriend?” Sehun sarcastically snapped back, rubbing his temples in disbelief

“Yes. And we finally found a per…..”

“I’m gay.” he plainly cut off in the purpose to end this embarrassing conversation here

“Oh…..”

“And I don’t want any relationship right now so you can save that girl for a better man. Good day Doctor Lee.”

His second effort to save his day was failed as that woman reached out and grabbed his elbow, pushed him back to the chair with another motherly smile on her lips.

“Wait. Can you just stay a bit? I think I still have something that might change your mind.”

She paused to see if the younger male showed any kind of interest in her words but sadly got none. They stayed in that uncomfortable position for a long good ten seconds before Sehun let out a small sigh, being a gentle man and leaned back against the chair, making a gesture to tell her continue.

“I’m listening.”

Doctor Lee gave him an exploratory look as if he would take this opportunity to escape before cleared , fingers working on her laptop nearby

“Sorry for my stubbornness dear. I just can’t stand my client walking out of my office without any potential partner in hand. Besides your friend already paid for this” she pressed the button and stood up, content was full in her eyes “At least take a look. It doesn’t kill anyone right?”

Sehun silently watched her spread out few papers that had just been printed from the laptop on the table, his indifferent expression sometimes could kill the latter’s mood immediately but it seemed not to affect the elder woman at all.

“Okay, let’s start with this one. His name is Lu….” her eyes browns met in confusion for a moment then she tossed the paper aside, take the next one up and read out loud “Okay, so this guy is Kris. He’s Chinese but lived in Canadian since he was a child. Moved to Korean five years ago. An architect, owns an apartment in Gangnam. Wow, he’s rich….and hot too. Here….”

Sehun received the paper with a little hesitation and put it back on the table after a few seconds in front of Jieun’s surprising face because she thought Kris would be the most suitable candidate ever.

“What’s wrong?”

“He’s not my type.” he casually shrugged, earning another gasp from the elder woman.

“He’s not? How comes?”

“Well, I want to play the top. He definitely was born to play the top too so yeah, that’s the problem.”

“Oh….”

Apparently Sehun was proved to be the pickiest client in the history and knowing himself too well, he decided to save both of them time and effort to find someone perfect for him. That’s why when Jieun finally gathered herself after the latest shock, dropping her attention to others papers on the desk, Sehun proactively stood up and made a proposal

“You know what, I think this process will take a while so why don’t you give me all of them and I will choose one by myself at home. It’s fair enough for us.”

He ended it with a soft smile to promise he would truly take a glimpse at those guys for once and bowed slightly before excused himself out to head back home, be ready to throw Jongin out of the window.

 

*********

 

“It’s not a joke, I swear.” the tan skin boy opened up a beer can, trying to keep distance from his friend who practically stopped listening to his a minute ago “You don’t think we wasted our money on something like that do you?”

“We?”

Sehun raised his voice but still kept his eyes on the paper he had read since the moment Jongin stomped into his apartment. Jongin was startled a bit at his slip of the tongue but he couldn’t care more. If he’s going down in this case, he had to take Chanyeol with him.

“Yep, I and Chanyeol hyung really want you to find your other half.”

“So that’s why you guys filled out a form for me and accidently described my ideal type as a girl huh?”

The younger retorted mockingly, recalling the embarrassing moment at the matchmaker’s office. Across the room, Jongin took a huge gulp on his beer, shrugged shoulders and made the best innocent face as he could

“Well, that was Chanyeol hyung’s masterpiece. I have nothing to do with it.”

“You’re his accomplice.” Sehun sharply accused, wondering why he still got enough patience to actually continue this conversation and not kicked his friend out of here.

“Oh come on…” Jongin dramatically whined, walked toward the sofa “Tell me it’s not that bad. And it’s very impolite to not look at someone when he’s talking to you. What are you reading there….?”

He reached out to yank the paper out of the other’s hand and despite of his buddy’s effort to take it back, Jongin literally pushed the cold can straight into Sehun’s face

 “YAH!! Give it back you jerk.”

“Woooo, let me see…” the tan skin boy laughed in amusement, spoke out loud the information printed there “Name Luhan…Chinese, twenty seven years old…. Wow, he looks like seventeen. A dentist….Oh, Sehun he just lives three blocks from here. Ah, wait….Oh…Oh…Okay, that’s it. You have to see this guy man. He’s so perfect for you. Look, he even loves resolving Rubik cube for fun.”

Sehun rolled his eyes at the last comment, hit his friend’s arm and snatched the paper out, quickly folded then put it into his jean’s pocket.

“It’s none of your business.”

But how could Jongin ignore the fact that their money was going to have a chance to be paid back? If someone asked him whether he believed in fate, he would not hesitate to say no. However both he and Chanyeol still had faith in one thing called soul mate and that Luhan guy was way too close to Sehun’s one.

“Did you try to contact him?”

Sehun easily recognized the high pitch in Jongin’s voice that he only used when he was in super excited mood.

“No, I didn’t. And I won’t so….just forget about him okay?”

“What? Why?”

“Because….he prefers an older lover plus he doesn’t want any relationship right now. It’s written clearly on his profile.”

The latter cried out and that just earned another weird questioning look from the dancer

“Well, if it makes you feel more confident, you definitely look older than him…”

Sehun was about to make an objection on that cruel statement but then he remembered the childish smile Luhan put on his face, he had no choice to shut himself up and listen to the rest.

“…and what’s a big deal? You don’t want any relationship either. May be this will change both of you guys mind.”

Although he hated to admit it, Jongin had a good point and he also knew well his idiot friends wouldn’t let him live peacefully for the rest of his life if he didn’t give it a try.

 

***********

 

Sehun wandered around the small room, looking through stuffs here and there to kill time when he was waiting for the dentist. After hearing the whole story from Jongin, Chanyeol wasted no time to grab the phone and made a quick appointment for him. Sometimes he really wondered why he agreed to be friends with them in the first place.

The click from the door snapped him back. Sehun was rooted his foot to the ground because the Chinese man in person was much more gorgeous than what he could remember. They locked their gaze at each other for a split of second as if they had met before until Luhan lips loosened into a wide smile.

“Hello, I’m doctor Luhan. Have a seat please.”

The younger male blinked several times to gather himself together then obediently sat down on the high chair next to him. Seeing the latter busy reading his medical record, Sehun decided to make the first move.

“Your office is really neat.”

“Well thank you.” Luhan chuckled while his hand flipped a paper, not actually pay attention to the chitchatting “My friends always call me a freak neat.”

 

Yep, I knew it.

 

“I think it will be nice if you arrange some small plant pots here and there. You know, to make the room livelier.”

Luhan put down the blue board on his desk, surprise was all over his face and Sehun knew he had scored.

“You really think that too?”

“Yeah, it’s obvious right.” he casually shrugged his shoulders “And you should put some puzzle books here as well, because you know….your patients might get bored.”

That was like the most pathetic flirting Sehun had ever done so far but judging from how the older one’s eyes sparkling at that suggestion, he guessed it’s worthy.

“I know.” Luhan squealed in enthusiasm, stood up and walked toward the medicine cabinet at the corner of the room “I always want to place a small stand here and bring in my puzzle and Rubik Cube from home. Sometimes I have kids and I bet they would love to play around a bit.”

He spun around to face his patient again, some kind of curiosity lingered at the tip of his tongue as he tilted his head and narrowed his eye brows in surmise

“Do…I know you?”

It sounded so weird because he was aware that they just met and he would definitely remember someone as handsome as the human being standing in front of him if they came across before but somehow that guy kept giving him a familiar feeling like they knew each other for years.

Sehun let out a small chuckle, his hair indifferently and didn’t answer to that question. He guessed he made enough a good impression so it’s the time to take the next step before the mood was cooled down.

“Well, I know it sounds awkward but it will be more awkward after you checking my teeth with your tools so I think I’m gonna say it now. Do you by any chance to be free on Saturday?”

Luhan was frozen at his spot, his doe-like eyes widened at its limit and if you asked Sehun, he totally could tell that boy was being scared.

“I’m…I’m sorry what?”

The younger male inhaled a long breath and stated firmly, tried to make it as clear as possible because he would rather dig his own grave than to say those words again

“Would you like to have dinner with me on Saturday?”

It took Luhan exactly six seconds to blink and uttered the very first thing popped in his head at that time.

“I’m busy.”

…………….

……………………..

“What’s about Friday’s night?”

 

**********

 

“So he refused it?”

“Yep.”

“Right into your face?”

“Yep.”

“After all of those stupid plant and puzzle nonsense you’re blabbering about.”

“Yep.”

“Are you going to call him again?”

“What, no!” Sehun almost choked on his beer and spit on his book. He threw a disbelieved look at Jongin before reached out to grab a piece of tissue “Are you insane? I am not going to humiliate myself one more time.”

“Why not?”

“Because he said he didn’t look for a relationship right now.” the younger male finally gave up on finishing his book while his friend was here, tossing it aside on the couch and leaned back with his arms crossed tightly against his chest “And I should have trusted those words from the first time I read them in his profile.”

“Oh come on, he’s just bluffing.” Jongin flapped his hands in the air nonchalantly “Maybe he played hard to get. Maybe he was scared at a sudden offer from a stranger who happened to know him too well. Maybe he needs few days to think about it thoroughly and will call you back. Maybe….”

The endless guessing was cut off by the ringing tone of Sehun’s phone and he couldn’t be more than glad to pick up a phone like this before.

“Hello….Yes, it’s him….Oh….Oh…Okay, I’ll be there at 3. Thanks.”

“Who is it?” the tan skin boy carelessly asked, taking a gulp on his beer.

“It’s Luhan.”Sehun replied in a bewildered tone of voice “He wants to see me this afternoon.”

And he had Jongin dancing on the floor in victory like a mad man.

 

**********

 

Luhan shifted continuously in his wheeled chair, trying to find the most comfortable angel for him to sit but failed. He stared at the laptop’s screen in front of him and rolled down the mouse, the more he read everything written there, the closer his eye brows got.

 

No wonder….

 

A knock on the door made him hastily shut down the page he was on, cleared his throat to call out

“Come on in.”

There came the stranger that hit on him few days ago. Their first meet was such a blur to him except for the part that how someone he didn’t know could read his mind so well. And it poked his nerves to the extent that he had to make some calls, pull some strings to find out the truth behind. He thought it would end there until Yixing pointed out the thing he refused for a really long time. Luhan still didn’t understand why his heart skipped a beat as they locked their eyes when he stepped in but the word “soul mate” kept echoing inside his head and if it meant something, this time would give him the answer.

“Hello Sehun. Nice to see you again.”

He stood up, reached out his hand to gesture a hand shake and he saw the younger hesitated take it. They exchanged an inquisitive look before loosened the grip, the Chinese let out a small chuckle while Sehun averted his eyes away, pretended to be interested in the plain white wall than the other’s face.

“I see you took my suggestion seriously.”

He pointed the blue stand at the corner of the room where a colorful Rubik cube couldn’t be any less visible.

Luhan simply shrugged, leaned back on his chair

“Yeah, I remembered to tell you I always wanted one.”

Sehun tightened his lips into a thin line and nodded in response. He had to stick to the original plan and he couldn’t let those doe-like eyes distracted him anymore.

“So, what’s wrong with my teeth?”

Luhan took a quick glance at the document on his desk then folded it up, placed both his hands on the surface and smiled warmly

“Don’t worry, nothing’s wrong with your beautiful set of teeth. You just had a slight gingivitis because of your habit of eating hot food and drink cold beverage at the same time I guess.”

“That’s it?” Sehun jerked back in confusion, didn’t believe in what he had just heard “That’s the emergency you mentioned on the phone?”

“Oh, don’t you underestimate it.” the latter wagged his index finger earnestly “If you don’t get the right treatment, your gums condition may emit an unpleasant odor. And when the gingiva is swollen, the epithelial lining of the gingival crevice becomes ulcerated and the gums will bleed more easily with even gentle brushing, and especially when flossing.”

Although the lecture about gum sounded a lot exaggerating, Luhan could feel the tension in the eyes of the younger male sitting in front of him and he had to fight the urge to burst out into laughter.

“Alright, I’ll be careful and take medicine too if any.” Sehun held up his hands to signal that he totally understood the situation “Is that all?”

“I don’t know you tell me.” Luhan smirked, leaned back on his chair confidently

“Excuse me?”

“Like how many percent of serious you were when you asked me out the last time, especially after you already read everything on my profile?”

The Korean boy’s jaw dropped. He was got caught so off guard that even he tried to cudgel his brains long and hard to find a reasonable explanation, it refused to work when he needed it the most.

“Errr…..let me explain, I….”

“No, don’t. Save it.” Luhan cut off gently “Just tell me the number.”

Sehun blinked, stared at the latter for a long moment to see if it was a joke or something but when he recognized the Chinese was merely staring back, he knew he was serious.

“I don’t know….uhh… 95%?”

“What happened to other 5%?” Luhan arched his brows questioningly since he was expecting a lie of 100%.

“I don’t know.” Sehun scratched his neck nervously though it was not itchy at all “I left it at home with my idiot friend Jongin.”

He waited for another sarcastic comment but strangely got none. The other just simply grinned delightedly and propped his chin upon his fist

“I bet it’s an interesting story for you to tell over dinner on Saturday’s night.”

Compared to their first meet, Sehun couldn’t count how many time he lost his score today or he actually had problem with his hearing.

“I’m sorry what?”

“Our date” Luhan pointed out “If it’s still on….”

“Yes it’s on, it’s on. It’s definitely on.”

Sehun didn’t let the latter have a chance to finish his sentence because who knew whatever coming next after that. Everything should end at the good part and thanked to Jongin and Chanyeol, he forgot the purest meaning of life.

“You’re serious right? Because 95% is not a good answer and I….”

“No, it’s fine. I always like something imperfect….”

“…..so that I could fully enjoy the bliss of making it into perfection.”

They said in unison, stared at each other again then burst out in laughter. 

A sudden knock on the door along with a female voice cut off their conversation

“Doctor, Mr. Cho is waiting for you.”

“Okay, thanks Lina.” the Chinese replied out loud then dropped his eyes on his current patient “So I guess I see you on Saturday Sehun.”

“Yeah, I think so.” the younger stood up, reached out for a polite hand shake “I’ll pick you up at 7.”

“That would be nice.” Luhan smiled and squeezed his hand a little bit hard as a revenge for being fooled on their first meet.

When Sehun almost let himself out of the door, he abruptly turned around and pursed his lips. This question was on his mind from the day he read the dentist’s profile and he guessed now when every misunderstanding was cleared, it would not be a big deal to ask.

“Just one more thing. Why did you go to a matchmaker when you didn’t look for a relationship?”

“Oh that. Yeah, my friend Yixing filled out a form and sent it without me knowing.” Luhan made an unpleasant face as he recalled the day he found out about this “Anyway when I told him about how strange a patient could know me so well, he got suspect and that how I knew about your little trick back then.”

Sehun let out an “ah” in response, bit on his lower lip for a second before spoke up again, this time a tone of anxiety could sensed clearly in his voice.

“You know what, we cannot introduce yours friend to mine.”

“Huh? Why not?”

“Because they’re all evil.”

“Oh no, Yi….”

Luhan was about to explain that his friend was really not like that  and the whole matchmaker thing was originally not Yixing’s idea, it’s from his colleague named Kai but Mr. Choi already came in so Sehun took it as a sign for him to leave.

But that’s okay he guessed. They would have plenty of time on Saturday.

 

--------------

 

A.N/ Raise your hand if you recognize the scene in “How I met your mother” :”>