His name is Jong Dae

A new beginning

As I put my hand on his shoulder, he slid his arm and placed it firmly on my waist. “I’m not really a great dancer,” I warned. His eyes crinkled as he grinned, “Have mercy on my toes!” We both laughed at his joke and then he said, “Come, the waltz has begun.” I was clearly dumbfounded because I didn’t hear any sign of instruments being played at all but he seemed to be in a trance as he started to sway to his own tempo. “I don’t hear anything,” I hissed. “That’s because you’re talking. Just calm down and listen to the wind,” he murmured. I closed my eyes and calmed myself. Soon enough, I heard the lilting melody of the waltz. I began to dance to the rhythm and a smile tugged at the edge of my lips. I had never felt so blissfully at peace and this felt splendid.  He gave me an angelic smile and said, “You seem to be a superb dancer.” “That’s only because I’m dancing with you,” I replied. He grinned and twirled me in circles then he laced through my fingers and gave my hand a squeeze. “You should smile more often,” he said. ” What do you mean? I am always smiling,” I retorted. He gave me a brief smile and traced my lips with his finger, “That’s what you think and what everybody sees but I know there is sadness behind that smile.” I turned my head and sighed. “I could really use a wish right now,” I whispered. He pondered on my remark and asked, “Hmm… What would you wish for?” “I don’t know. Happiness? Freedom?” I replied.  “Happiness can be gained through the freedom of your heart,” he replied. ” What is that supposed to mean?” I asked. “You want happiness, which can only be obtained if you are willing to free all the worries and insecurities of your heart,” he explained. “How am I supposed to do that?” I asked tiredly. “I am always full of worries. How is my future going to be like? Will I accomplish all I worked for? Who is my fated soul mate?” I continued. Gosh, I sound like Minji right now. He just gave me a small smile and began to drag me towards the exit. “Where are we going?” I asked nervously. He winked as he replied, “To get you your wish of course.” ” I don’t even know you and you didn’t even tell me your name,” I blurted, freeing my hands from his grasp. He stood there giving me a devil-may-care kind of expression but I still didn’t budge. He sighed and said, “My name is Chen.” ” Chen…?” I probed. He rolled his yes and replied, “Kim Jong Dae is my real name.” “Alright then. It's lovely to meet you, I’m (Y/N),” I replied. He gave me a crooked smile,” Since that is settled, let’s get going.” “Wait!” I exclaimed. “What now?” he asked impatiently. “At least give me a hint about where we’re going,” I begged. He grinned wickedly, “Somewhere nobody can find us.” I gulped nervously and began to rub my hands on my dress. He laughed seeing my expression and tugged at my arm once more. “Come one, don’t waste any more time. Let’s go check out the place you missed out big time during your knock out just now” he said grinning widely. Okay, sure. If I could be just alone with this guy it would be more than enough. But wait. What did he just say? Knock out? “Wait.. What about the knockout?” I asked helplessly. He just winked and dragged me to the exit. We both ran out from the wonder of lights into the darkness of the night.