Chapter One

Troublesome Law & Love

 

Tuesday morning, Jessica wakes up to realize that she’s still in her office. Papers are all over the table, unorganized. Ants are surrounding her empty glass that was filled with hot chocolate yesterday night. And, well, of course, her messy self. She can see it clearly through the mirror located across her current position.

Being a defense attorney isn’t easy for her. For anyone, too, isn’t it?

Her regretting to be a defense attorney- or anything law related, isn’t something new or rare. Especially to Tiffany, her companion in arms.

Both of them; Jessica and Tiffany, are the most capable among the other defense attorneys in their office. That makes them have to work harder since people need the capable ones to save their lives, correct?

Sighing, Jessica cleans up her messy desk.

Tonight will be her last trial for the current case she’s solving. It’s a relief that this case doesn’t involve death or a really brutal crime but it’s just dealing with someone who distributes drugs. Basic, Jessica thinks. Not that it’s an easy case, it’s just.. She had dealt with the similar thing for at least three times now.

“Jessica?!” The half-screaming voice brings Jessica back to reality. “Are you listening?” Tiffany asks, despite knowing what answer she will get after. Jessica shakes her head, “Sorry, Tiff.” Frowning, Tiffany says, “It’s okay, Jessica.”

Tiffany understands Jessica’s position. What is it so hard about understanding Jessica, anyway? They’re about the same.

Both are gifted with the defending skill, both are forced to enter the law world despite the disinterest they both have towards it.

Jessica has interest in modelling and fashion while Tiffany herself wants to be a singer since she was younger.

However, Tiffany complains less.

-

“What did you talk about earlier?” Jessica asks while handing her money to the cafetaria ahjumma.

They’re having their lunch break together, as usual. Tiffany sighs for having to repeat what she said earlier to the exact same person; Jessica Jung.

But luckily, Tiffany has adapted with the Jessica who doesn’t open up her ears when she’s really tired. Still, though, it’s not really a good habit.

“Can you please take my case?” Tiffany pleads, hoping a simple ‘sure’ to escape from Jessica’s pale lips.

-

Hours later, Jessica finds herself in a taxi. Going home.

It’s late at night, her last trial of the case (which involves drugs distribution) has finally ended.

Jessica actually planned to ask her boss, Lee Sooman, for a few days off. Like what Tiffany did. And that is why Jessica is stuck with a new case, that is supposed to be Tiffany’s job.

 

 

“I need to go back to Jeonju, Sica. Since my parents are going to leave my grandma alone in their house for a one-week-vacation. When I’m back, I’ll help you solve the case. Call me if you need help. I’m really sorry for burdening you. Good luck and thank you so much!”

 

 

Jessica sighs at what Tiffany said earlier. There will be no Tiffany tomorrow. And the next day. And the next, next day. And for a week. It’s not Tiffany’s fault, though. Not even anyone’s fault that Jessica can’t have a day off.

-

New day begins, Jessica walks through the corridor to her office room, holding a hot chocolate on her right hand and a brown handbag on her left. “Yo! Morning Jessie!” Greets a familiar voice, hyper and low enough for Jessica to notice that it’s Chanyeol.

Park Chanyeol is always around there in the morning, he is also a defense attorney (which is Jessica’s friend but sometimes she doesn’t want to admit it because of his weird behaviour). But Jessica questions the presence of the other tall guy, “Why are you here?” Jessica asks, referring to the golden-haired Chinese guy; Kris.

“Eeey, don’t be rude to our Ben Ben, Jessie.” Chanyeol said, covering Kris with his whole body to prevent Jessica from doing further moves (like she even would). Jessica chukles at the scene.

After witnessing Chanyeol and Kris bickering nonsense, she decides to walk away to her office room but Kris stops her to do so, “Hey Jung!” Kris calls. Jessica stops walking but doesn’t turn her head to the source of the voice anyway.

“I heard you’re that arrogant singer’s attorney, replacing Tiffany Hwang, right?” He asks. Jessica isn’t sure about who the ‘arrogant singer’ is, but before she could think further, “See you on the court then. Once again I’m your opponent.” Kris says, chuckling afterwards.

-

After she reaches her office room, Jessica decides to turn on the television settled across her working desk. It’s been quite long since the last time she ever turned it on and afterall, she needs a bit rest.

Once again I’m your opponent.

Jessica sighs, she doesn’t want to deal with Kris anymore. The last time she dealt with him was approximately last year, where he won the case and she nearly lost her job as a defense attorney (which isn’t fortunate because she doesn’t want to dissapoint her father).

She doesn’t like admitting this but –heck! It’ll be her 4th time facing The Almighty Prosecutor Kris and she doesn’t want to loose her job yet. She’s scared.

Before she manages to raise the television’s volume, or to change the channel, or even to think of doing it,  her phone rings. She finds it disturbing but she picks it up anyway, “Yes?”

The caller turns out to be Tiffany, she uses her grandmother’s house telephone since she said her phone’s signal isn’t cooperating with her there in Jeonju. Jessica thanks Tiffany for reminding her to start working on the new case.

Yesterday she was too tired to properly read the evidence file from Tiffany that will help her solve her (supposed to be Tiffany’s) latest case, this time she widens her eyes in disbelief at what she just read. “What.. What the hell!” Jessica curses. She then steals a glance to the television and curses even louder in disbelief.

She doesn’t need to raise the volume to know what the show is discussing about.

She re-reads everything she have read and still can’t believe whatever written in that piece of paper.

The Wolves..

 

*****

Aaah guys, thank you so much for subscribing and commenting!! ;A;  I hope me and my story won't disappoint you ;__: So, what do you think about the first chapter? Hehe, I'm sorry for the grammatical errors, typos, everything, I hope this satisfies you ;w; Please anticipate for the upcoming chapters! Simple reminder: 1.) Don't expect too much from me, I'm a poor writer ;_; 2.)  Commenting, subscribing, adding me as your friend, etc are highly appreciated! Thank you, in advance!! ;w; 

Special thanks to enchantedkai for the beautiful posters!! She made 3 posters for me,  thank youuuuuu veeerrrryyyyyy muuuucccchhhh!!! ;____: And check out her stories too! She's amazing ;w;