Scars Last Forever

Contaminated

“Mama what’s happening?”

“Come on baby, just grab your teddy and follow daddy.”

“Why do we have to leave mama?”

“Honey, just trust me alright. I‘ll tell you everything when we‘re safe again.” Kibum’s mother explained, wrapping her arms around the toddler for only a few seconds before continuing to pack her possessions.

“Okay mama.”

“Alright sweetie, hurry and go to the basement with daddy. I’ll grab your things.”

“Yes mama.” the toddler obeyed, running down the flight of stairs.

Outside he heard a loud boom that sounded like thunder. He felt the ground shake violently beneath him. The child tumbled to the ground as vases and family photos shattered around him. Glass shards bloodying his hands. Kibum grasped his favorite teddy bear tightly in his palms. The boy cried for his father only to be cut off by another round of thunder-like bangs. Kibum attempted to crawl towards his father who waited by the basement cellar.

He craned his neck to get a good look at his mother. Her petite hands struggled to grasp the abundant amount of family possessions. She wobbled cautiously down the stairs, careful not to drop any of the suitcases.

“Go to the basement Kibum! Hurry!” the terrified woman cried in distress.

“But mama-”

“Don’t worry honey! Mama’s coming!” the woman cried.

She reached the bottom of the staircase successfully. Leaning forward to balance her weight, she stumbled towards the cellar as fast as her legs could carry her. Her son and husband ushered her to safety.

“Hurry mama!” her son pleaded.

“Kibum, go in the basement! It’s safer down there!” his father demanded.

Kibum’s father reached out to help his wife with the baggage. Together they rushed down the stairs to safety. They dropped the baggage in a separate corner. Mrs. Kim pressed toward her son.

Little Kibum was terrified. He was huddled in a ball in the corner farthest from any of the boarded up windows. He hugged his teddy for dear life. His mother crouched down beside him, waiting patiently for her husband to return to her.

The basement was pitch black except for the few dimly lit candles at the other end of the room. All entrances were blocked off thanks to his father. A few weeks before Kibum’s father had done some revision on the house. He began by replacing the windows with non-shatter glass. Then he started building different sized shelves in the basement. He also added on a smaller room. Every time Kibum would ask his father why.

Just in case.” his father would say with a smile.“

 He never understood what that meant. Kibum found out that the room was stocked with a supply of food. Of course he didn’t know what that was for. He didn’t know what any of this was for. The packing, the random food supply, the rebuilding, the hiding, or any of the violent ground shaking. All he knew was that something really, really bad was happening and no one would tell him what it was.

Kibum’s father was finishing lighting the candles when he froze. Everyone noticed that the ground had finally stopped shaking. Kibum could just make out the terrified look on his fathers face as a high pitched whistling noise broke out. His head slowly turned to his wife. Kibum could see both his parents faces drop. All color drained out of their faces. The whistling gradually got louder and the house started rocking side to side at an inhuman speed.

“Get down!” His father screamed. He darted over to the corner with the rest of his family. Kibum’s mother wrapped her arms around her confused son. He could hear his mother’s shaking voice whisper that everything was going to be alright.

The rocking escalated. The shakes got even more violent than before. The whistling was so high pitched you could barely hear it. The small cracks between the boards that had previously let in little bits of sunshine turned dark. Outside you could hear what sounded like trees being smashed into the ground. The house above us still rocked back and forth at a rapid pace. At first you would think that it was just an earthquake, but even an earthquake could create such sounds.

After a while everything stopped. All the rocking, the whistling, the crashes, they all stopped.

“Daddy, is it done now?” little Kibum asked his father. You could see that him and his wife had calmed down a lot. The color returned to their faces. The father smiled sadly to his son and ruffled his hair.

“Yeah baby, it’s all done.” He whispered on the brim of tears. He looked at his wife who was covering to choke back to sobs. He rubbed her back and kissed her on the cheek.

“It’s all done.” he repeated. The man sighed in relief. He tilted his head against the wall and smiled.

“Daddy, tell me what happened?” the child begged.

Another sigh escaped his fathers lips. He sat down comfortably against the wall next to his wife and kid.

“I don’t know how he’s going to understand,” his wife said, “He’s still too young for all of this.”

Her husband nodded in agreement, “I know, but I have to try.”

He repositioned himself against the wall. He patted the twisted carpet next to him, signaling his child to come sit. Kibum carefully stood up and walked to the other side of his father.

“Kibummie, everything that just happened is what we call an apocalypse.” his father explained.

“A what?”

“Apocalypse.”

“What does that mean daddy?”

“It’s bad Kibummie. It’s really, really bad. You see it happens when the Earth gets hit by something that is so strong and so big that it can cause the earth to, for lack of a better word, die.”

“Like a rocket daddy?! Rockets are like this big!” Kibum exaggerated with his hands.

“No son,” his father chuckled, “Rockets are much bigger and they do good things.”

“BumBum, your father is wrong. When something big hits Earth it’s not called an apocalypse, but it can cause something very bad too. They call it a mass extinction.” Kibum’s mother explained to both Kibum and his father. At first his father looked confused. Then he realized his mistake.

“That’s what I was getting at. You didn’t let me fully explain.” his father clarified. Kibum looked at his mother who shook her head.

“You could have explained all you wanted and you still would’ve been wrong.”
“Yeobo! Why are you being so mean to me! I’m just trying to help our son understand what’s going on!”    

“Then get your facts straight you big dummy.” She said while jokingly slapping his shoulder. “Bummie honey, I’ll tell you what really happened.”

“Okay mama.”

“Your father was right about the apocalypse, but not the reason for it. The real reason was that two countries were fighting. You know what countries are right honey?”

“Yes mama. It’s a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.”

“Aigoo!” she reached out to pinch her sons cheeks, “My son is too smart.” Kibum smiled bashfully. “Anyways, what happened was the two countries got so mad they threatened each other with what we call nuclear bombs. Kibummie, you have to understand these things are dangerous. We had the house redone just incase they went through with their plan, and it looks like they finally did. But we’re safe. If we stay down here for a while I think everything will be okay. Do you understand baby?”

“Yes mama, but what about our house? Can’t we just keep living there?”

She glanced at her husband before speaking, “No honey, I don’t think we’ll be able to live up there for a while.”

His father nodded, “Your mothers right. We probably won’t be living up there for a while.”

“Okay.”

“How about we unpack out stuff.” his mother suggested. They nodded in agreement. Kibum’s father helped his family to their feet. Together they walked over and organized there things.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~A Few Months Later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I wanna go back outside mama!!!!”

“You can’t go out there!” she screamed, trying her hardest to hold him back.

“But I wanna! I don’t wanna play here anymore!” Kibum cried. He wiggled out of his mother’s grasp and ran up the stairs. He heard his father run up the stairs behind him, but he had already pushed open the door.
The door was sprung up only to be slammed shut after a few, painful seconds. Kibum screamed in agony. The pain was overwhelming. His right arm burned to the point that he thought it might fall off. Waves of pain seeped through his body. His father grabbed him and dragged him down the stairs. Kibum’s wails of pain echoed in throughout the room. His mother ran towards him screaming out incoherent words. His father laid the suffering child down on the sofa. Kibum thrashed around, dabbing his sizzling flesh.

His body was tense. Every muscle was clenched together, as if they were trying to squeeze away the pain. His parents argued. The excruciating pain in his shoulder caused him to scream and yell at the top of his lungs. His parents could barely hear themselves. His mother ran over to the first aid kit.

“I know this is gonna hurt, Bummie, but it will help a lot so just stay still alright.” his mother babbled, holding a bottle of alcohol. The words were cut off from Kibum’s ears by the piercing loud cries.

His mother held the bottle in her hand. She twisted the cap off and poured it along his burned limb. Kibum’s cries became even louder if that was possible. The poor boy’s body flailed on the sofa causing his mother to poor nearly half the bottle on the floor. His father held him by his wrists to restrain him. The panicking boy whipped around and tried to free himself from his fathers grasp.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the ache in his arm worsened to the point were the suffering toddler gradually slipped out of consciousness.



When the toddler awoke he noticed the pain in his neck was gone. His shoulder and arm still ached from the amount of alcohol his mother had pour on him. He looked down at his arm and shoulder only to see his mother wrapped them in white gauze.

“How do you feel?” his mother asked softly. Kibum couldn’t muster up the strength to say anything so he just nodded instead.

“You should be ashamed of yourself young man,” his father’s voice boomed, “We told you not to go up there. It’s not safe.”

The little boy looked down in shame.

“Honey take it easy on him. He’s just a kid.” his mother insisted.

“A kid that should’ve listened to his parents.”

“You’re right, but-”

“No buts. He’s already been punished. Look at him,” he pointed to his son’s burns, “He got his consequence. He’s gonna have to live with that the rest of his life.”

“Honey.” she said in a stern voice, “Stop it.”

“Stop what? Teaching our son?”

“You know exactly what I mean.”

He rolled his eyes and walked to his room. Kibum looked at his mother with sad eyes.

“Don’t worry BumBum, It’s gonna be alright.” she soothed. Kibum smiled at his mother and sat up. He wrapped his arms around her neck and squeezed her in a hug.

“Thank you mama.”

“You’re welcome baby.” she replied with a smile. She patted her sons hair gently.

Kibum released his mother from their hug. He leaned back against the couch with his teddy. He lifted his good arm and traced along the gauze. The excruciating pain from earlier was gone. Only aching and throbbing remained.

His mother rose to her feet and walked to the cabinet. She returned the aid kit to its rightful place. Pausing for a moment before closing the cabinet, she turned towards Kibum. She looked at her son pitifully. She blames herself for his burns. For not being able to stop him from getting hurt.\

His mother snapped out of her thoughts and returned to her son. She sat down on the couch next to him and was careful not to touch his burns. She grabbed the blanket off the arm of the couch and covered herself. Kibum snuggled into his blanket with his teddy.

“Is daddy gonna be alright?”

“Yes honey, your father’s just stressed out. He was really worried about you. We both were.”

“Sorry for making you worry.”

“It’s okay honey. All that matters is that you’re alright now. Go back to bed sweetie. It‘ll help with the healing process.”

“Alright mama.”

“Goodnight sweetheart.” she whispered, planting a kiss on her son’s forehead before slipping off into a deep slumber.

“Goodnight mama.” Kibum whispered softly before slipping unconscious for the second time that night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Authors note~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

HI EVERYONE!  THANK YOU TO THE FOUR SUBBIES I HAVE! I KNOW YOU'VE WAITED KINDA LONG FOR THIS SO THANK YOU!

 

I just started writing this yesterday and it was about 7 pages in word so I'm pretty proud.

I know this chapter probably isn't the most entertaining or special but I hope you like it! (: I worked hard!

This is basically the start of everything. the apocalypse started because of World War 3 just incase you didn't understand. And the basement...think of it like a mini home. They do have their own rooms and stuff it's just smaller than upstairs.

Kibum is a toddler in this and I believe I have mentioned that a few times. The next chapter will be kinda when they branch out and what happened afterwards. i think the first few pages he will still be young, but then I will fast forward to when he is like 20.

Kinda giving it away but I hope it helps. I don't know how long the next chapter or any of the other ones will take but i'm guessing 1-3 days. I will update right after I finish writing them.

Again I know it isn't the most entertaining but I hope it gives you a good over view of everything...

THANKS YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3