Chapter 26

Pursuit of Parallel Happiness

Hmmmm where’s that ice cream? I wondered as I rummaged through the fridge. I have escaped to the kitchen for a dessert break from all that craziness in the living room.

 

Aha! Found it! I grinned at my discovery and was able to give myself a pat in the back when I heard the kitchen door slide open.

 

“All that drama for nothing, huh?” Tiffany commented as she entered the kitchen.

 

Hearing her, I turned around and gave her a bewildered look before realizing belatedly that she was referring to Taeyeon and herself.

 

“Anyway, I realized I have not quite thank you for covering for me.” Tiffany said as she held my hand. “Thank you, I really appreciate it.”

 

I responded with a smile. Words weren’t needed at times like this. Understanding my gesture, Tiffany returned the smile and took a seat next to the kitchen table.

 

“Have you thought about why you were given the chance to travel between dimensions?” Tiffany suddenly asked.

 

The question reminded of the last Tiffany and the fact that I am the only Tiffany able to travel using the pocket watch. Honestly, I have no idea as to why this only applies to me.

 

Shaking my head to her question, I gestured the ice cream in my hands and asked, “Ice cream?”

 

With a spoon she took from the table, Tiffany dived right in to the ice cream and took a bite before continuing.

 

“I believe everything happens for a reason. I want to believe in that. And from what I gathered, your journeys seemed to revolve around fixing our relationships with Taeyeon,” Tiffany paused as she carefully phrased her question. “Do you think your Taeyeon is behind all this?”

 

That caught me off guard. I never imagined that my Taeyeon would have anything to do with this.

 

“Now that you mentioned it, the girl who sold me the pocket watch…” I gasped when I connected the dots. The girl at the weird shop did resembled Taeyeon despite the mask to hide her face.

 

The kitchen fell silent as I took out my pocket watch and fiddled with it fondly.

 

Could it be?

 

I smiled sadly at that thought.

 

“Anyway, it’s amazing to be able to travel through dimensions and meet yourselves, isn’t it?” Tiffany tried to change the subject when she saw my down expression.

 

“Yeah,” I sighed. “It does feel like a dream, to be able to see you, our friends and especially Taeyeon, regardless of which version she is.”

 

“In that case, let’s not waste another moment away from them. Shall we?” Tiffany said as she stood up and move towards the kitchen door.

 

I followed suit, only to find her froze at the door.

 

The sliding door was slightly opened and there stood Taeyeon at the other side.

 

“What… what dimension travelling?” Taeyeon stuttered as she looked at me. “You… you are Tiffany?”

 

Uhoh.

 

And that was my last thought before the familiar bright light mercilessly blinded me once again. Of course, not forgetting the inevitable hurt that followed.

 

-

 

Ugh, too freaking bright.

 

I squinted my eyes and let them adjust to the ambient lighting.

 

Purple room. Waist height drawer. Timber made closet. Bedside table. Photo frame. And not to mention, the freaking bed right next to where I landed.

 

“I am back.” I said to no one as I stood up to take a sit at the soft bed.

 

It took me some time to come to terms that I was caught and sent back to my own universe. Good thing my job was pretty much done in that universe.

 

My thoughts quickly wandered back the last conversation I had with the other Tiffany.

 

The girl at the shop!

 

I immediately make a dash to the bus stop.

 

It seemed like luck wasn’t on my side today as I watched the bus moved off the bus stop while I was just a few metres away. To make matters worse, the bus didn’t stop even with me running behind and shouting on the top of my lungs for the bus to stop. I would curse my luck but I decided that it was more appropriate to curse the bus driver.

 

*Censored* What the *Censored* is wrong with the bus driver?! How can he *Censored* not see me?! *Censored*, *Censored* and *Censored*!!!

 

After a moment of contemplation, I figured that this may be my calling to go green for the day and take a walk since the mall was not that far away. Besides, it was a choice between waiting half an hour for the next bus or walk. Feeling restless from the anticipation of meeting the mysterious girl at the store, I decided that walking it off could do me good.

 

Of course, as how life likes to screw you over, it felt like déjà vu when I stood once again in front of the store. Or where the store should be.

 

What in the world?

 

Instead of the store I have visited just weeks ago, I found myself staring at a Music CD store blasting the recent release of a nine membered group.

 

Bewildered at how the store could have changed within such a short period of time, I still went into the shop to confirm what my eyes were seeing. Needless to say, CDs were all they have. No shell necklaces, no woods craft, no antique-looking coins and most disappointingly, no cute and dorky girl who goes by the name, Taeyeon.

 

Dejected, I made my way home since the mall no longer holds my interest.

 

The bus ride back home was uneventful, except that random stranger who bumped into me when I got on and gave me a blank stare instead of apologizing. I couldn’t care less though, as all I could think of was to sit down and nurse my belated splitting headache. The adrenaline rush initially due to the abrupt change of events and then my fixation on finding that mysterious girl must have masked the inevitable headache till then.

 

However, my headache did not mask the hurt and disappointment. I was as if on an emotional rollercoaster ride. One moment, I was with friends and Taeyeon, the next, back in reality where Taeyeon is no longer around. In fact, it was depressing that all I wanted at that point of time was to travel to the next dimension.

 

Suppressing my depressing thoughts, I did what my best friend does best – space out.

 

And so I missed my stop.

 

Fortunately, I snapped out of it when I heard the bus bell as someone was getting off the next stop. Walking back one stop wasn’t that bad till I saw a familiar looking car across the street, parked right in front of my apartment building.

 

I was still trying to pinpoint where I saw the car before when Jessica came out of the building. Or rather, she stomped out.

 

Right, Yuri’s car.

 

And that was the moment Jessica looked up at my direction.

 

Oh . I am screwed, aren’t I?

 

Instinctively, I ducked down behind a parked car and prayed real hard that she didn’t see me.

 

After what seemed like forever, I carefully peeped at the entrance while staying hidden.

 

Phew, she didn’t see me.

 

The car was gone and I stealthily made my way to the building and back to my apartment, feeling paranoid that Jessica was still around and possibly waiting to jump on me any moment.

 

Woah, what’s the rush? I thought when I saw that Jessica didn’t close my door properly.

 

I rolled my eyes at her carelessness and strolled in towards the couch.

 

Wait, she’s not coming back, is she? My eyes widen at that thought.

 

“Shall not take that chance.” I said to myself as I took out my pocket watch, not bothering to even prepare for the dimension jump and merely trust my adaptability skill.

 

The hour hand was stuck at 1. I guessed I was at Dimension 1 and have skipped Dimension 12 when the previous Tiffany played with my watch in Dimension 11.

 

“Everything happened for a reason, huh?” I spoke to no one again, when I thought of what the last Tiffany told me.

 

Following that train of thought, I decided to just go with it and come back to 12 later. I turned the knob to adjust the hour hand to 2 before pushing the button in.

 

Click.

 

-

 

A/N:

Sorry for taking so long to update this and not replying to all comments this time round.

In fact, I was in the process of revamping the plot cos I seriously think the story is kinda draggy and I am starting to bore people out. I actually ditched all my initial ideas for the ending in favor of a brand new one. Of course, I won't tell you the details but I would like to think that it's less predictable? No worries, all published chapter are not affected.

I have also considered all the comments and decided to steer clear of controversial topics aka genderbender issues. If you would like to read something genderbender-ish, head to my utter fail multi-shot. Well, it's not really genderbender either but close enough. It's not complete yet and I honestly have no idea what I was doing there actually, so read at your own risk. Lol.

Once again, thanks for the comments! Love reading them! =)