Chapter 1

More than just an Idol

 

You didn't really understand what was happening right now, all you'd known was that you had to escape, to get away from the sight of your boyfriend kissing another girl. You'd ended up outside the door to your best friends house without thinking that he might not be in. He probably had schedules and practises to do, it didn't stop you hitting the buzzer once more though, praying someone answered. Much to your relief the door beeped allowing you to enter and run up the stairs to the second floor where the dorms main door was situated.

You'd barely knocked when the door was pulled open by Minho, he was wearing sweatpants and had half a banana shoved into his mouth, his hair was rioting around his head and he had not one scrap of make up on, not the stunning visual appearance that most people were used to seeing from him.

“Hey ….” he muttered around his banana “want Taemin?”

You managed to nod your head as Minho screamed for Taemin. You were barely keeping it all held together as Minho smiled at you after finally swallowing his mouthful of banana. “You ok?” he asked suddenly “you look kind of pale”

You bit your lip hard as tears built in the corners of your eyes. Minho got a terrified expression on his face at the sight of your tears. A typically male response to an upset female, he seemed to get himself together though, grabbing your arm and pulling you further into the dorms and slamming the outer door shut so no one could see you stood there. “-....-?” he asked softly “what happened?”

“Jae....” you muttered, but could get no other words out about your pig of a boyfriend out.

Minho nodded before going and pounding on Taemin's door once more. A few minutes later the annoyed and half asleep face of your best friend appeared at the door “what do you want Minho” he mumbled rubbing at his eyes trying to clear them “I'm trying to sleep here”

“.... is here” Minho said indicating you stood behind them.

Taemin looked over his face breaking into a large grin as he noticed you, suddenly energy was restored and he bounced over to you, only realising as he got closer that your face definitely wasn't happy. “....” he said softly, hand coming out to squeeze your shoulder.

“Taeminnie” you whispered, the tears finally coming thick and fast. Taemin gasped and pulled you into his chest, wrapping his arms around you as he led you quickly past Minho and into his room. Shutting the door behind you both and pushing you onto his bed all the time keeping you locked in his arms. His hand was soothing on your back as he gently rubbed circles there, trying to get you to calm down. “what happened?” he asked again after you had finally gotten your sobbing under control.

“You were right all along” you answered miserably “Jae is a jerk”

Taemin scowled at your boyfriends name. He had never made any effort to disguise the fact that he hadn't liked your choice in men. “Why?” Taemin asked “what did he do this time?”

You sighed and wiped at your eyes, “I got you all wet” you said, avoiding the question and plucking at Taemin's now soaked wife beater. He casually waved away your words “no problem, now answer the question”

“He was kissing that girl from the office you saw him with” you practically whispered. “He wasn't even trying to hide it from me this time Taeminnie”

Taemin's face went dark, his usual cheerful expression vanishing as his fist clenched. “the ” he muttered “he was never good enough for you ...”

You smiled slightly “only you ever thought that Taemin”

Taemin relaxed briefly to put his arm back around your shoulders “i've known you since we were both in diapers …. I think i'm the only one qualified to judge if someone is worth you and trust me that pig never measured up” Taemin suddenly grinned evilly “probably in more ways than one way huh?”

“Taemin” you squeaked elbowing him “Why do I put up with you?” you asked him.

Taemin grinned and gently bumped his shoulder into your own “because you love me” he answered back “and I love you ….”

You managed another watery smile as you nodded “your right, I do love you” Taemin all of sudden looked uncomfortable as he stared down at his legs quickly. “Taemin?” You asked him “am I not allowed to love you back suddenly?”

Taemin shook his head, opened his mouth to say something stopped, then frowning obviously decided it was worth saying as he made up his mind about something and returned his gaze to your own “I mean it … I really like you, as more than just a friend. I have for a long time now. I just never thought you could feel the same way about me” Taemin shrugged his shoulders “after all i'm still just the annoying guy who used to pull your hair when we were kids to you”

You sat there in shock, unable to process what Taemin had just told you. He liked you, as more than just a friend, you'd been in love with Lee Taemin since you were 11 years old and he told you that he was going to marry you. At 11 however and with a proposal made with a candy ring you had been pretty sure he was joking and hadn't taken him seriously. Especially as soon after he had been successful in his casting audition and had been launched into SHINee, the maknae of the group and a world wide idol. How could he possibly like you. “how....?” you asked “I mean... i'm so boring”

Taemin laughed “You have no idea how beautiful you are.... Your kind and happy and when you smile at me its the best part of my day”

You blush this time and look down at your hands, Taemin carefully reaches over and links his fingers with your own “say something?” he urges quietly “please say something?” he repeats nervously biting at his lip.

“I like you to” you admit “I think I fell in love with you the very first day we met and you poured sand down my back from the sand pit in kindergarten. I just never thought I was good enough for you either”

Taemin grinned widely his perfect mouth pulling up into a heart stopping smile “your perfect for me”

You manage to smile back at him but your heart is going crazy as Taemin leans a bit closer to you and hesitates a few centimetres from your lips, you move the final distance separating you until after waiting 16 years you are finally kissing Taemin. It's perfect, is the first thought that manages to enter your brain, his lips are soft and gentle against your own, his hand coming up to rest on the back of your head holding you still. When he pulls away from you, your pretty sure your face is on fire your blushing so hard, Taemin however isn't looking so composed either.

“I can't believe we waited so long to do that” he eventually mumbles making you grin like a stupid person at him. “neither can I”

The nervous look suddenly slips back onto Taemin's face “we can do it again right?” he asks.

You nod “you better”

Taemin needs no more encouragement this time as he pulls you over to his body letting his lips meet your own once more. He presses harder this time, hunger getting the better of him as his hands slide to your waist, then down to your hips. You end up straddling his legs with your foreheads pressed together, you with your eyes still closed as Taemin gently kisses the tip of your nose.

“I love you ….”

You open your eyes and smile easily at him, Taemin is more than an idol to you, more than an amazing dancer or singer, more than a cute maknae or a pretty face. He's the one you run to when your sad or upset, the one who buys you snacks when your to lazy to shop, he used to do you maths homework at school because you so badly, not that you did any better when he'd done it for you but it was the thought that counted. Taemin was your best friend, and now it seemed he had upgraded himself to boyfriend as well. “I love you to Lee Taemin” you whisper “forever”