Chapter 4

Second Confession/두번째 고백

Sungjae woke up and yawned, greeted by the sunlight and the view of Seoul from the window as he combed his long hair with his fingers.

He was up.

"Hyunsik?" he called.

No answer.

"Hyunsik?" he called again.

That's strange, Sungjae thought. Today is the day I'm going to look like a human.

He crept around the rooms, looking for Hyunsik.

 

Eventually he came to Hyunsik's room. Sungjae smiled mischievously as he saw Hyunsik, still sleeping.

"Wake up, Hyunsik!" he shouted in Hyunsik's ear, "Today's the day you promised me that......"

Hyunsik yawned.

"Okay, okay, it's time to go,"

"Great!" said Sungjae. "Let's go!"

Hyunsik stared at him.

"Not yet,"

"Why not?"

"We need to brush our teeth first and wash our faces,"

"Uhhhhh......right," said Sungjae.

Hyunsik helped Sungjae to the bathroom, teaching him how to brush teeth.

"This is how you brush your teeth," said Hyunsik.

He squirted a drop of toothpaste on a toothbrush, and on another clean toothbrush for Sungjae.

"This tastes good!" said Sungjae.

"NO!" shrieked Hyunsik, "You can't eat that! It's not food!"

"Oh,"

"Like this - chika chika chika"

"Chika-chika-chika" Sungjae mimicked.

Hyunsik gathered some water from the tap and gargled.

Sungjae gargled too.

Hyunsik spat it out, just as soon as Sungjae spat it out too.

Sungjae mimicked Hyunsik as he washed his face.

"What's that? Can I eat it?" asked Sungjae, referring to the soap bottle.

"Sungjae, no!" said Hyunsik, "That's poisonous!"

"Oh," said Sungjae as he mimicked Hyunsik's movements.

 

After they were done, Hyunsik prepared for himself and Sungjae a breakfast of rice, kimchi, bulgogi and spinach.

Sungjae practically tore on the food, munching them rapidly as he finished the rice in a go.

Hyunsik was not even able to catch up.

"You must be hungry, huh?" said Hyunsik.

"I'm always hungry," said Sungjae.

Hyunsik gaped.

"Do you want some more rice?" asked Hyunsik.

"Yes, please!" said Sungjae.

Hyunsik gave Sungjae a second bowl, then a third and a fourth.

Finally Sungjae was full.

"Okay," said Hyunsik, "Get dressed,"

 

Sungjae dressed in his hanbok as soon as Hyunsik finished dressing, and they headed out.

They walked the neighbourhood, until they came to a nearby barber shop.

Hyunsik helped Sungjae to a seat.

"Good morning, agassi," greeted a barber with a smile.

Sungjae glared. He thought that Sungjae was a lady.

"I'm a man," said Sungjae, firmly with his deep voice.

"Oh dear, do forgive me for my rudeness," said the barber, "Here is the magazine, let me know which style you want,"

Sungjae looked through the magazines and stared in fascination.

"These hairstyles are all so amazing!" he exclaimed, "I can't decide!"

Hyunsik helped him until he selected a style for Sungjae.

"You'll look good in this one," said Hyunsik, showing him a male model with short hair and fringes.

"Okay," said Sungjae, "Let's do this,"

 

The barber got his scissors ready as he cut off Sungjae's long black hair.

Then he continued to cut, trim and style Sungjae's now short hair until he got the hairstyle he desired.

Sungjae stared in the mirror in amazement.

"Well, what do you know?" he said, "I like it!"

 

They headed out the barber shop and headed to a mall.

"Where are we?" asked Sungjae.

"A mall,"

"What's a mall?"

"A building where you eat and buy things,"

They headed to a clothes store.

"Look!" cried Sungjae pointing to a white dress in the ladies section, "A hanbok!"

"Sungjae!" said Hyunsik, blushing as he pulled him away and dragged him towards the men's section, "That's not a hanbok, that's a dress! It's for women!"

"Oh," said Sungjae.

They headed for the men's section where Hyunsik helped Sungjae choose a selection of clothes.

They chose shirts, pants, shoes and socks of many different kinds. Hyunsik paid, but thought that Sungjae would want to try on one of the clothes now. Sungjae agreed.

Sungjae went to the changing room and tried on a pink shirt with beige pants, as well as white socks and brown shoes. But his pants would not stay up.

"Hyunsik?" called Sungjae. "I need help,"

Hyunsik walked into the changing room.

"Oh," said Hyunsik, "You need several belts,"

"What are belts?" asked Sungjae.

"To tighten your pants,"

Hyunsik went to get some belts and then came back.

"Thanks," said Sungjae.

He selected a brown leather one.

"Uhhhhh......how do I put this on?"

"Like this," said Hyunsik.

He showed Sungjae how to put on clothes properly and how to wear a belt, and then tie his shoelaces. It took half an hour in the changing room, but Sungjae finally got the hang of it.

"I guess it's not easy being a human," said Sungjae as he stepped out in his new look.