When The Universe Conspires

[ONESHOT] Café & Cliché

Flashback

 

“There you go, one tall coffee for the lady and a smoothie with banana muffins for the annoying brat.” The handsome employee said with a smile handing us our orders. My friend frowned in disapproval and gave him a dead glare.

“Today I’m a customer so treat me right, Ahn Jaehyo!”

“Whatever Ukwon. Just move, you’re slowing the line and people are waiting. Right pretty?” he gave me a wink and I laughed. Ukwon dragged me away from the line and we padded to that familiar spot of ours. We took our seats and then Ukwon started complaining again.

“Don’t talk to that jerk, I really can’t stand him. He’s always nagging at me to clean my side of the room, I mean he’s not even sleeping there and he hardly comes to the dorm at night. What gives him the right to tell me to clean!?” he ranted waving his hands on the air like a crazy monkey.

We both glanced back to the counter from our corner were Jaehyo was attending the customers, he gave Ukwon a winning smirk and my best friend raised his middle finger in reply. Disgusted by his actions I slapped his arm in annoyance.

“What was that for?” he hissed with a frown while rubbing the part of his arm I just slapped.

“You shouldn’t do that in public Ukwon!” I scolded him.

“But you saw what he did! I was trying to defend myself and the one you’re beating up is me? I thought we were friends.” He said accusingly trying to make me feel bad, unfortunately that doesn’t work on me anymore. Ukwon scoffed indignantly before grabbing one banana muffin shoving it into his mouth.

“Because I don’t want people to stare, you’re a trouble maker. Besides, he’s handsome.”

“Handsome?  Why don’t you look at me in the same way? I’m hot; girls say it all the time! But I just got ignored by you!” he complained taking a sip of his smoothie playing with the straw.

“We are best friends, someone has to tell you the truth, and you are good looking.” He smiled satisfied with my answer. “But your roommate is hotter.” I stated looking back at Jaehyo, he smiled and I waved back. Ukwon rolled his eyes and changed the topic.

“I think I’m gonna withdraw from the math class, that old woman is driving me nuts!”

“I can help you but you’re just too lazy to even open the book.” I said while holding my coffee and drinking it without noticing it was still hot. My tongue stung so bad as my eyes were watering. Ukwon eyes widened in alarm and shoved me his straw inside my mouth.

“Just take a sip; it will soothe the tongue burn.”

“Thank you.” I managed to say.

“Clumsy girl.” He shook his head and I punched him.

“Talking about classes don’t you have math class like right now?”

“Oh ma gawd! I’m going to be late!” he panicked and slung his backpack on this right shoulder while taking the last bite of his muffin. He ran to the exit door but abruptly turned his heels and came back just to snatch his smoothie from my hands, what a glutton!

I sighed as his silhouette disappeared from the corner of the café, he will never change. Reaching my bag I took out a book and began reading it, my classes were over so I decided to stay here for a while. The weather became weird and rain began pouring furiously outside blocking the sun rays. Nonetheless I continued reading without worries.

“Sorry if I’m bothering you, but can I sit here?” Someone asked standing in front of my table. I gazed away from my book and looked up to the owner of the voice. There was this guy with deep meaningful eyes, pointy nose, sharp jawline and reddish hair with drops of water falling gracefully on his face.

“Sure.” Is all I could say, I looked away from him and he was right, the café was crowded with people trying to shield themselves from the heavy rain outside. He sat on the chair which was previously occupied by my best friend.

The awkward silence made me feel uncomfortable. I would give light glances from my book to stare at his face, he was too alluring. His calm collected face which radiates coldness but at the same time somehow mysterious. I swear he caught me staring and gave me a small smile, embarrassed I hid my face with my book pretending to read which I was only staring at the letters.

“Nice book.” He said leaning over with his arms resting on the table.

I blinked few times to process the whole situation before replying in with a casual question. “You read this book?” I asked with curiosity, something told me not to involve myself with a stranger but I couldn’t help it. This girl wants to know about him, definitely.

“No, I was just looking at the cover.” He stated with a small grin on his face. I just nodded like a fool. No conversation was made after that.

The storm ceased outside and the café doors were open once again revealing a group of guys around my age, they walked to my spot with huge grins and some of them were snickering. “Hey Minhyuk we were looking for you this whole time and you are chatting here with a beautiful lady?” the guy with weird hairdo said.  So his name was Minhyuk.

“Oh really, let’s go Zico.” He stood up and was about to leave but stopped tracks to face me. “Thank you for letting me keep you company I-“ Minhyuk didn’t finished his sentence when my phone rang. I answered and it was a frantic Ukwon in the verge of breaking down, telling me that he got stuck inside the university elevator on his way home. I immediately ran out of the café without bidding goodbye to Minhyuk and his friends, knowing Ukwon he’s the kind of person that freaks out easily to the point of hyperventilate.  

----------------------------------------------------

I haven’t seen Minhyuk since that day, two months have passed and no trails of this mysterious boy. To be honest I really wanted to know him, but the circumstances were stronger.

Resting my chin on my palms and staring into nothing but trees outside my classroom I sighed, things being normal lately, nothing interesting.

“I got something for you!” Ukwon voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

“And what would it be?” I asked uninterested. I wouldn’t expect anything good coming from my best friend. Thanks to him I miss the chance to meet a hot guy. Sometimes I just wish he got stuck in the elevator forever.

“I hate seeing you alone, so I set you for a blind date.” He said while his lollipop.

“What? Have you really gone nuts after a semester of math?” I asked him bewildered.

“No, I barely passed that subject. Don’t change the topic!”

“And who’s gonna be my date?”

“A friend of mine of the dance academy, meet him tomorrow at 7:00 pm in the same café we always go. He already knows who you are.” And with that he ran away to his next class. I didn’t feel like meeting anyone, stupid Ukwon you always put me in awkward situations.

----------------------------------------------------

It was seven already as I arrived the café, there was no sign of my date. I was looking around to see if he was already inside. “Looking for someone?” Jaehyo asked me as he place a coffee on the table.

“I haven’t ordered yet.” I smiled back.

“Don’t worry pretty, is on me.”

“Thank you!”

“No problem, are you here for a blind date?” he asked me as he was cleaning the table beside with a cloth.

“How do you know?” it seems like everyone knows I’m on a blind date!

“You never come here on Thursday nights, and Ukwon wouldn’t let me sleep talking all loud on the phone about setting you up on a date. I would have offered if I knew he was so desperate to hook you up with someone.” I laughed at his funny reply, I wouldn’t have mind if it was Jaehyo anyways.

“I just hope he didn’t set me up with someone weird.”

“Trust me; I may despise Ukwon for having the guts to argue with me, but this time he made a good choice.”

“You know him? I mean my date?” he just nodded.

“Well I’m heading back to change my shift is already over, I hope you have a fun date, pretty.” He waved and went back to the kitchen.

I kept waiting about ten minutes, taking a sip from the coffee I saw someone peeking outside the windows, I was almost sure he was looking at me. I frowned and walked closer to the windows and gave him a weird look, just to notice he wasn’t alone. When they both saw me their eyes widened. I gestured them to come inside maybe one of them was my date, who knows.

They both sat beside each other as I kept my blank face ready to ask them about why they were watching me.

The guy with chic hairstyle whispered to his friend loud enough for me to hear. “Zico hyung was right, she’s pretty.” And then his friend nodded.

“So…” I interrupted their little ‘not – so –secretive conversation’. “May I know why you two were peeking outside?” they shifted uncomfortably.

“I’m Jihoon call me P.O and he’s Kyung. We didn’t mean to stalk you, we were just curious…”

“About what?” I crossed my arms not convinced.

“We wanted to meet you before our hyung, you’re supposed to be his blind date.”

“So none of you are my date?” I asked then who is it?

“Sadly no!” Kyung whined.

They were pulled by the ear and let out a loud shriek as another guy gave them dirty looks, I immediately recognized him by his hair, Zico I think is his name. “Are you guys done stalking someone else date?” he asked in a serious tone as Zico shooed them outside of the café.

“I’m really sorry about those two brats.” He bowed in apology.

“Don’t worry I was having a great time with them, are you possibly my da-“

“No I’m not, he’s coming soon, please wait a little bit.” He smiled and headed outside taking Kyung and Jihoon with him. I watched them disappear, this has been an interesting night so far but my date is nowhere to be found. If Zico is not my date and the first time I saw him was with….no way! I tried to shake my thoughts away it was not possible. It can’t be possible.

“Did you wait too long?” I recognized his voice almost instantly. Turning around it was him. Minhyuk.

“Y-you are my date?” I stuttered so badly, seriously I’m making myself a clown tonight.

He pushed the chair and sat on it, fixing his gaze on me as I was playing with the hem of my shirt awkwardly.

“Yes.” Minhyuk simply replied.

“But how?” I mumbled to myself merely audible for anyone to hear.

“How?” he heard me after all… “Well let’s begin with two months ago; I met this girl on a rainy day exactly in this place. It was crowed and I needed a seat, surprisingly she was sitting right here.” He pointed at me. “And she was reading a book intently not aware of her surroundings which I found cute. The next thing I know she was staring at me like a curious cat. Then she leaves without saying goodbye.” I was totally in shock! He did notice a lot of things, my mouth was wide opened but I couldn’t say a thing. “Days after I found out she was best friends with my dance mate Ukwon, by the way we are in the same dance academy if you’re wondering.”

“He told me before but I didn’t know it was you.”

“Shall I continue or do you wanna go somewhere else?” he asked with a warm smile.

“Just continue, I think I like your story.”

“So I told him I needed a date and Ukwon suggested her. Now I’m sitting here in front of that girl talking nonsense.”

“Maybe that girl wants to know about you too.” I told him like I wasn’t talking about myself.

“Really? I’ve been dying to know her name for the past two months…” he grinned and I blushed.

“So Ukwon never told you her name?”

“No, I just wanted to hear it from her own lips.” Minhyuk I think I fell for you.

--------------------------------------------

We dated for almost two years, but things were getting complicated in our relationship, we would fight for stupid things. The gap between both of us was greater as days passes.

“Minhyuk, I can’t stand it anymore! Can you be more patient when I say I’m busy?” I held my hands on the air.

“Busy? Maybe you’re busy flirting with another guy.” He sharply replied. I felt offended. After all the arguments we had, it’s been load in a mountain of frustrations about to blow up. I had to let it out.

“Maybe we should just break up.” I walked to our room taking my suitcase and stuffing my belongings inside as fast as I could, I couldn’t stand being in the same apartment and room with Minhyuk anymore.

“You want to break up? Then is fine with me.” He shouted back. “But you will never find someone like me!”

“That’s the point Lee Minhyuk!” I shouted back taking my suitcase and purse slamming the door shut.

----------------------------------------

I cried for days, he didn’t call me nor I did the same. I just locked myself in my room and Ukwon would occasionally visit me, it took me time to heal. After weeks I started working normally again until I was promoted to work overseas. I felt bad for leaving my family and best friend here, but part of me told me it was the best way to forget and let go.

 

End Flashback

 

My grip tightened on my cup of coffee, as I recalled those painful memories, he was right I would never find someone like him. I was still in love with him, but after a year and a half of my absence, the most common thing he would do is to date another girl. On the other hand I drowned myself in work.

“Hey you came back!” I saw Jaehyo approaching me and then taking a seat.

“You’re still working here?” I asked him.

“Yes, and you’ve gotten prettier.” Jaehyo gave me his signature wink.

“And you’re still handsome as always. Isn’t your manager going to scold you for talking to me?

“No, I am the manager…” he chuckled pointing proudly to his golden ‘manager’ tag.

“Congratulations! The taste of the coffee has improved a lot.” I complimented him, giving him a hug.

“Yeah, I hired a new barista.” He pointed at the short guy that was brewing coffee behind the counter.  “Taeil, he’s much sought when it comes to coffee shops, I’m glad he accepted working here although his paying a little higher than the others employees.”

“I can tell.”

“When did you come back?” he asked raising an eyebrow in a suspicious way.

“Last night.”

“And does he know?”

“Yeah, I called Ukwon as soon as I arrived, he wouldn’t forgive me if I didn’t tell him anyways.”

“Not that moron, I mean Minhyuk.” As soon as I heard his name my heart lost a beat.

“No, only Ukwon…” Jaehyo gave an apologetic look before standing up.

“Well I’m leaving, this manager job is to nag at others!” he winked once again and went inside the kitchen.

I never thought of coming back, at least not in this situation. I’m still feeling like an idiot by just having the idea that I’ve moved on, so far the feeling of regret is overpowering my previous desires of coming back before boarding the plane. Once again, what on earth was I thinking?

These thoughts were bothering me; I shook my head in denial as I took a sip of the bitter coffee trying to forget.

My phone rang snapping me out for a moment, I reach to my pocket and eyed the ID caller, a small smile crept on my lips as I was ready to shout at my best friend. “Yah, Kim Ukwon! You told me to meet you here more than half an hour ago and there’s no sign of you. You better give me a good excuse!” I said demanding a believable answer.

“Sorry, I just got sidetracked teaching my new students in the academy.”

“Are you coming anyways? That sounded like a prelude of ‘I won’t be able to make it’, don’t you dare to leave me here alone.” I saw it coming.

“Damn you for knowing me too well!” he hissed on the other line. I could imagine his face distort in a playful way.

“But I wanted to see you!” I whined slamming my hand on the table a little too loud earning some stares from other customers. I slightly bowed in apology before going back to my conversation.

“I know, maybe tomorrow. But you won’t be alone. Guess what? This awesome friend of yours, will set you up for another blind date!” my eyes widened in dreadfulness, I just came back yesterday and he wants me to meet someone already?

“No, no, no! I’m not going to meet anyone. Give me a break, the only one I want to see right now is you and give you a big punch in the eye as a present!”

“Well too bad, your date is coming right now! Just wait a little bit! Bye!!!!” and with that he hung up a little too cheerfully. If I see him tomorrow he’s gonna die and I’m serious.

I didn’t feel like meeting anybody, so I sorted to leave before the date arrived. Taking my purse as fast I could I ran to the exit door. I walked a few blocks until it started raining hard. I tried to shield myself in a corner until I heard some footsteps approaching; the feeling of not being alone in an empty alley that someone must be following scared the hell out of me.

“Hyung I found her~” I heard that deep voice, it was definitely familiar. I shiver as he taps my shoulder, slowly I turned around to see P.O and Kyung giving me weird looks.

“Noona, why are you here? You’re gonna get wet!” P.O exclaimed.

“Yeah, just go back to the café is raining pretty hard!”Kyung retort, now both of them were pushing me forward to go back.

“My apartment is nearer than the café guys. I should walk back in less than ten minutes.”

“NO!” they both replied with nervous faces.

“What’s going on with you two?” I crossed my arms and demanded an explanation for their queer behavior.

“Just go back to the café noona, eh you know they are giving free coffee today!.” P.O said waving his hands in the air. I raised an eyebrow, this two were up to something.

“We just receive free coffee on Wednesdays. Spill it boys, what are you two up to?”

Kyung sighed and whispered something to P.O “I guess you give us no choice…”

“I’m sorry noona!” P.O and Kyung bowed before Kyung slung me onto is shoulder.

“YA! Put me down Park Kyung! Where are you taking me???” I tried to get off but his firm grip wouldn’t let me move.

“Noona is for your own sake.” P.O said as he ran beside Kyung. The rain was pouring so furiously that we were all soaked. Props to Kyung for running two blocks to the café carrying someone on his shoulder.

“I already got my daily caffeine shot! For God sake I want to go home, kids I’m serious!” the more I shouted and tried to reason with them, the less they were listening. They just kept running until we arrived.

Kyung let me down and pushed the doors open, shooing me to go inside. “Aren’t you two coming in?” I asked.

“No, we don’t want to ruin you da-“ P.O didn’t finished when Kyung put his hands on P.O mouth as if he didn’t want him to tell me something.

“Might as well invite you to eat something after bringing me back here.” I offered.

“No, is ok. We need to go somewhere! Bye!” and they ran off in the rain. Weird kids.

I let out a sigh before stepping in, as usual the place was crowed on rainy days, I was almost sure there were no seats available and it seems to be raining even harder. Poor P.O and Kyung they must be soaking wet by now.

Squeezing myself from the line, I greeted Taeil and asked him if Jaehyo was still here.

“No, he went to a reunion at the main branch; I doubt he’s coming back with this weather. But if you want I can make you another coffee.”

“Not thanks, I’m just going to sit somewhere until the rain is over.” I smiled back.

All I wanted to do was to take a nap at home. Thanks to those two, I have to spend my evening at the café. I strolled to my favorite spot wishing no one had occupied it. But as soon as I arrived there was someone already on my chair reading a book. The book looked so familiar as if I had read it before. I stepped closer to take a look at it, maybe if the person was nice enough he would let me share the table.

“Excuse me…” I shyly asked the person. He removed book that was covering his face and looked up. My heart stopped right there. Those cold eyes I haven’t seen in almost two years made my legs go jelly. His hair was no longer red, but a light brown which suit his flawless face. It was definitely him, Lee Minhyuk in the flesh.

His lips curved into a small smirk as he places the book on the table and gestures me to sit on the chair in front of him. I didn’t know what possessed me to do so but I did as he told me.

“What took you so long, I thought you weren’t coming at all.” He softly said. His voice still makes me melt like a puddle. Why did you have to make me feel that way? I really didn’t want to have that feeling for him anymore but at the same time it was pleasant nearly secure.

“I- I mean we weren’t supposed to meet here.” I said trying to hold a grip on myself for falling again for my ex.

“Why not? You’re my date.” He simply stated, I faced him in shock.

“What? But how come you’re my date I thought-“

“Wanna hear another story?” he suggested still smiling. I just nodded. “A year and a half ago my girlfriend dumped me, I told her she wouldn’t be able to find someone like me, but in the end I was the fool who couldn’t find someone like her. I felt miserable and guilty for letting her go; she just not only left me but left the country as well.” My eyes began watering as I was recalling all those memories, some were painful others were so beautiful that I still treasure like gold inside my heart. “When she was gone I couldn’t bring myself to clean our room, but I gathered the courage after four months, and found this.” Minhyuk took the book that was on the table and gave it to me. “Do you know whose book is this?”

“Your ex-girlfriend’s?” Mine.

“Yes, I found it along with some undergarments she left.” He joked, I wanted to punch him but my tears kept falling and my lips quivered. “This was the book she was reading two years ago sitting in this same café on a rainy day. I fell for her that day. I’ve read this book at least five times already, but there is a line in the book that made realized how much I needed her.”

“What line?” I asked trying not to sound a fool as tears kept running out.

“Page 22.” I flipped the book until I reached the page. The sentence was highlighted in yellow.

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” I read that line in a whispering tone. It hit me in the sudden realization. This was planned. Ukwon texting me at midnight as soon I arrived to meet him the next day here, Jaehyo asking me about Minhyuk, Kyung and P.O being suspicious and dragging back to the café.

“This…was all planned?”

“To continue the story, my friend Ukwon told me she was back last night. I don’t know what got me to tell him I really needed her to know that I am still in love with her and I’m completely sorry. Just wanted ask her if she’s willing to date back a stubborn idiot like me. I will just stop here because I don’t know how the story ends.” Damn you Lee Minhyuk, you just made me fall deeper with every word you’ve just said.

“But I know how it would continue.” I said as my sad tears were replaced with ones full of joy. Minhyuk gave me a look of apology and hope; I could read beneath his cold eyes, they were filled with love and sincerity once I knew.

“How?”

“Like this.” I leaned closer to him closing the gap between us and kiss him as I never did before.

We both pulled away, his face was in shock for an instant then he composed it with a smirk. “So that means a-“

“Yes, pabo! I forgive you.”