Final

Good Morning, Sunshine

 

It was by habit that Minho found himself slowly waking up, just before the skies would turn from a thick nightly gloom, merging out of the dark berry blues, to a shade that matched the colour of the shallow ocean. His surroundings were not illuminated yet, but the cooing of the Koel was prominently marking the awakening of the birds, and inturn the rise of dawn.


He carefully shifts in the linen covers to face the boy contently spooning a white fluffy pillow that rested between them. The floor length windows behind the said boy were slightly ajar making way for the petrichor breeze to sway the sheer curtains, along with a few strands of his auburn hair.


This was the first morning that Minho had the privilege of waking up to Taemin lying beside him, eyelids covering the glistering brown obsidian of his eyes and shallow breaths being the only indication of any movement, he was effortlessly beautiful to Minho. Too beautiful, too fragile. The natural colour to his cheeks adding that hint of extravagant beauty and the soft curves of his lips, peach pink and plush made his heart race just a little bit faster without his consent; all Minho wanted was the taste that his lips would allow. Minho thought to himself how unfair it is to look as gorgeous as Taemin did at such ungodly hours of the day as he lay there, deep in his slumber, caught up in his own dreams, unaware of how big of an impact the boy was having on Minho without even trying.


Minho wanted to relish in the morning elegance that Taemin provided as he slept there besides him, but he knew better that as the sound of the rain grew louder and crashing of the waves became increasingly noisy, the boy would start to stir around until he’d finally wake up. It was just those moments before the fluttering of eyelids and coarse voiced good-mornings that Minho found the most captivating though. Taemin’s expressions were starting to show signs of slight discomfort and a lot of reluctance to waking up, Minho knew that it was soon time that he’d have the pleasure of welcoming Taemin’s dazzling gaze and hopefully a shy smile.


He noticed the sun creeping up on Taemin’s nearly exposed elbow and the vast expanses of his neck and collarbones. Minho was so caught up at staring at Taemin’s face that he hadn’t let his eyes roam lower than his jawline. Once he did though, his breath instantly got caught up, the pale, supple skin shined especially radiant under the light. The sun kept at it’s coarse of intruding the two as it further illuminated the marble skin of Taemin’s cheeks, half of his delicate nose and those full lips. If Minho thought that the boy looked beautiful before, then the added light was taking his understandings of Taemin’s allure to a whole new level. His skin looked petal soft, glowing and allowing it’s radiance to draw him in even more; his only wish was to run the tips of his fingers over the soft curves of his face, oh he wanted that so badly, but he held back. Deciding to just admire the gorgeous face from afar while sulking inwardly; right then he knew that he envied the sun more than anything. He was jealous as it lent gold to Taemin’s skin, kissing it so discreetly, making sure Taemin slept soundly, yet pushing Minho over the edge with it’s teasing, glimmering glory, yes, he wanted to be the sun.


The yellow sheen on Taemin’s face now crept up to his eyes, the fluttering was slow and forced but after what seemed like a long agonizing minute, but was probably just a few seconds, Taemin finally opened his eyes. He looked straight at Minho, brought up this small hand to keep the sun-rays out of his eyes and curved his lips into a small, shy smile. That’s when Minho caught hold of the reality that was infact Taemin, Taemin smiling like he had imagined, shy yet beyond gorgeous, just for him, blocking out the sun and paying him his undivided attention. He took this as his cue and leaned in for a soft kiss, almost a caress of their lips, sweet and innocent, sealed with love. It’s in that moment when Minho realised that he was no longer envious of the sun, he smiled to himself thinking about how silly he was to even ponder upon a thought like that just instances before. However, he found it fitting to greet his lover with a ‘Good morning, sunshine’ regardless, smiling to himself partly because of his own internal dialogue and partly because of Taemin’s reactions to his words, oh he was definitely no longer envious of the sun.