The Wind Blows

Angelic Monster

The thick growth of mushroom infested trees surrounded a damp, mossy rock on the floor level. Surrounded by a bunch of chickadees who had come to eat the seeds that he was holding out in the palm of his hand, Ryeowook stared down at the pretty shadows the was sun casting onto the wet, leaf covered ground. The shadows twinkled and moved around as the rust coloured, autumn leaves twirled to the ground.

How he wished he could enjoy this wonderful day; it was what the younger Ryeowook would have liked. But that was before his first friend and first love had left his life. Of course, Nana had taken good care of Ryeowook. The young man thought back to the kind ahjumma, how she had cheered him up and given him clothes and food, how she had taken care of him... and ultimately, had left him alone again. He thought about what he had seen earlier that day, the glimmer of hope that had been so quickly destroyed.

And he sat there, alone in his memories of sadness and of being left behind as the sun slowly started to descend from its perch in the middle of the sky.


 

The old lady chuckled as the boy in front of her tore into a sticky rice bun savagely, savoring each bite as though it were his last.

He swiped the back of his hand over the back of his mouth, mumbling his gratitude through the mouthful of sticky rice that he was trying to swallow.

"I guess it's too late to tell you to eat slowly then, child?", she remarked, wiping a single crumb away from the corner of the boy's mouth.

He gulped down the food in his mouth with a big mouthful of water, "Thanks, halmeoni!"

 


Ryeowook had known it was coming when she didn't give him a sticky rice bun after dinner that day. Of course he had known it; it had been a tradition for the two since they first met. He just wished he had been able to thank her. He shouldn't have let her work the whole day when he knew that Nana was sick. Sighing, the sighing young man got up from the rock, effectively scaring all the birds away and started to walk home. They wouldn't miss him that much. A loud, howling wind was kicking up.

He remembered what he had seen that morning.


Very few people were walking on the wet streets that morning. The rain had just gone by, leaving a damp, foggy town in its wake. Only those who absolutely had to, and those who didn't care anymore, had taken to the lonely roads.

Ryeowook was one of these people. He put his hood up as the wind blew his hair this way and that, thinking about what had just happened.

Why did they all leave him as soon as he started hoping?

As if called by these words, he suddenly saw the face of someone that he thought he would never see again. Stopping in his tracks, Ryeowook looked back just in time...

A car screeched as it tried to avoid the inevitable, slipping and sliding as it went. He was just in time to see her face; a face full of happiness that he'd never seen before.

Was it his long lost noona? He would never be sure. But, he knew in his heart, that that would always be the face of his noona. A face with emotions he himself would never be able to cause.


 

He walked along the streets that were now dry as the sun reached its bed.

Would it be worth it, he wondered to himself.

Observing the sun as it disappeared, the ticking of his heart suddenly became very obvious.

He remarked this to himself detachedly, it's time, I'm done, I give up.

 


Now, it was his turn to fly away from everything. He looked down at the scene, feeling very sad as he remembered how little impact he had had on the world. The maddening chains that had engulfed him however, were gone and he turned to see her smiling face...

She was an angel, yet she had managed to destroy him.


 

[A/N] Well...this is awkward. I mean, I know I at one-shots because I have NEVER, I repeat that, NEVER gotten a higher than 78 score (I think?) on them. There's generally no plot in them either... hmmm... =____=;

I did my best, hope ya like it!

 

*For first time readers on here, although I doubt it...

Halmeoni = Grandma

Noona = Older woman/sister (male's POV)

 

- Ahem. This contains such embarassing writing. Can you see me shaking my head at 12 year old Ai_Dami? Yeah... Anyways. Edited! :D