Love, Friendship, Selfishness, Betrayal.

Fool That I Am
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jessica didn't think she was lack of anything, but there’s just something about Seohyun that always annoyed the hell out of her.

Maybe the fact that Seohyun was pretty much a perfectionist. She always did her best in whatever she was doing. She always made sure that she would get a great result in the end. On the other hand, Jessica was the complete opposite. She was lazy and easily satisfied. She was kind of person who would do any work in a simple way and got it over with.

Jessica always thought that if she put as much effort as Seohyun did, she would be just as great. The thing was, she didn’t want to. We are different, she kept reminding herself. There was no need for her to do things the way Seohyun did. And that was fine.

Of course nobody knew that Jessica had this feeling towards Seohyun. They were classmates. They were good friends. They got along just well in these past four years. Even Seohyun herself, probably had no idea about this.

Jessica knew that this was stupid, but she couldn’t help it. If she could she wanted to get rid of this pathetic thought but you couldn’t cure a sickness if you didn’t know the cause of it. The worst part was, she didn’t want to find out.

Or maybe, she was just too scared to admit it.

 

-----

 

Until one day, she was forced to face her biggest nightmare that was Seohyun.

It was their last year of college. They were assigned to make a business project proposal in a team. Usually, Jessica was fine to be grouped with everyone but she never ever thought that Seohyun would ask her to join her team in that particular day. She hated that she couldn’t refuse it.

Jessica was not one to be lead. She didn’t really like to be ordered this and that. But Seohyun always had a tendency to lead. The problem was, Seohyun was a pro at it that nobody would object what she said. She was good at planning, even management risks. She was reliable and Jessica just had to admit that Seohyun was indeed that great.

Surprisingly, that was not as annoying as having Kris in that team. Kris was Seohyun’s boyfriend. They had been together for four years and that was enough to irritate Jessica.

Jessica remembered how she met Kris for the first time. Of all the people, he stood out the most because he was tall. He was the first person she spotted when she walked in to her new class. She thought he was kinda cool and wouldn’t talk much but she was wrong. Along with his best friend, Park Chanyeol, he was being so loud in class and always made commotion. He was actually such a chatterbox and laughing so much.

Jessica had always thought that Kris was perfect. But she was never sure what made him that way.

Unfortunately, the person who asked her out was Chanyeol. Well, Chanyeol was not less attractive than Kris so she accepted him. A few months after that, Kris started dating Seohyun. Jessica and Chanyeol broke up after a year, meanwhile Kris and Seohyun were still going strong up until now.

That made Jessica wondered, what if she dated Kris back then and not Chanyeol, would she be in Seohyun’s place right now? But then again, she knew that was stupid. Kris didn’t like her to begin with.

 

-----

 

Now that they met frequently to work on the project, Jessica realized one crucial thing. Before this, purposely or not, she had avoided being alone with them. Especially Kris.

Everytime they met for project, she kept wondering why the hell she agreed to be in the same team with them. And of all people in class, why Seohyun just had to pick her. Fortunately, Taeyeon and Baekhyun joined their group too. So she didn’t have to be a third wheel.

“Done!”

“Finally..” Baekhyun said tiredly whilst stretching his whole body.

Taeyeon yawned and then lied down on the cold floor, rolling here and there.

Seohyun was still busy checking everything on her laptop, meanwhile Kris was playing with her hair beside her.

Ugh.

Jessica rolled her eyes.

They were at Seohyun’s house right now. They just finished the first chapter of their proposal. Seohyun said they needed to finish this today, because of her own target.

Jessica looked out the window and sighed. It was already dark outside and she had to go home alone. Actually her house was not that far from Seohyun’s but still, walking alone this late at night wasn’t really a good idea. She had no choice anyway, she had no boyfriend who would her girlfriend everywhere. Like Kris.

“Anyone hungry? Should we buy something to eat?” Kris asked.

“I’m hungry!” Baekhyun yelled.

“Me too~” Taeyeon said sleepily.

“Could you buy something for us, Kris?” Seohyun smiled as she caressed Kris’ cheek with her thumb.

Jessica quickly looked away. She couldn’t stand the sight.

“I think I’ll go home.” Jessica said and stood up.

“Oh Sica, let Kris took you home!” Seohyun said abruptly. Jessica and Kris looked at her like she was crazy. “um.. I mean.. it’s not safe to go home alone.” She added.

Okay.

Jessica perfectly understood that Seohyun was kind and all but for her this felt like she was purposely rubbing salt into her wound. Kris was like one of the source of her misery and they had to walk side by side, alone? Seriously?

“No, it’s okay. I’m fine. It won’t be that scary.” Jessica refused.

“It’s not fine, what if you meet some bad guys on the street?” Seohyun insisted. “Kris can walk you home and buy something in convenience store on the way back, right?”

Kris sighed. “Alright. Let’s go Sica.” Kris already headed to the door.

Well, it wouldn’t be that bad.

After bid goodbye she quickly followed Kris outside.

 

It was awkward. Like really really awkward.

Until finally Kris broke the silence.

“I think our project will be the best, I looked at other groups' but they seemed vague.”

...

He really tried hard to break this awkwardness, didn’t he?

“Yeah, I think so too. I’m glad I’m in your group, Seohyun and you work well together. You two are really right for each other.” Jessica said smoothly, even though she didn’t mean it. 

“We are? Why do you think so?”

“You are perfect. Just like Seohyun.”

“eh? I’m not!” He quickly denied. “I’m nowhere near perfect. but because of Seohyun, I always try to be a better person in everything I did. She affects people in a good way, right?”

Not for Jessica at least.

“Yeah, she always makes people around her shine along with her.”

 Jessica cursed herself. Did she just dig her own grave?

“That’s right.” Kris nodded proudly. As if saying yes, that’s my girlfriend for you.

“Good for you.” Her voice was rather harsh. Unintentionally showing her jealousy.

She didn’t know if Kris sensed it or not, but she was glad that he didn’t say anything about it.

 

Weeks passed, her sickness wasn’t getting any better. Everytime she watched how the couple acted around each other, she felt like running away from there. She couldn’t stay focus on what she was doing everytime they were around.

“This afternoon, should we go to that steak restaurant? We can see the interior, the prices and of course tasting it too.” Kris said.

“We should go.” Taeyeon agreed absentmindedly.

The others were just nodding.

But Jessica had no plan to go. “Can I not go..?”

“Why?” Seohyun asked.

“I will do the rest of the proposal, so you guys can go. Is it okay?”

Luckily, they agreed. She thanked God, she didn’t have to waste all afternoon watching Kris and Seohyun all lovey dovey.

The meeting of that day finally ended.

As they parted way, Jessica’s eyes wandered to Kris and Seohyun. How they happily walked together to Kris’ white Audi. Being a gentleman he was, he opened up the door for her.

Jessica couldn’t help but wishing it was her that sitting on that passenger seat.

 

At one point, Jessica finally realized that it was not about Seohyun anymore. It was all about Kris.

 

-----

 

Without her knowing, Jessica had been staring at Kris longer than she thought she did. But he didn’t look confused or amused, instead he looked like he was analyzing her. As if he was trying to understand what she was thinking. Or maybe that was just her mind playing trick on her again.

She opened to ask the questions that running through her mind, just to close it again a second later. What should she say?

I like you, do you like me?

Can you stay with me?

Can you leave her for me?

No.

That sounded beyond stupid.

Why would he like her?

Why would he stay?

Why would he leave her?

Who was she to ask such foolish questions anyway?

She averted her gaze and inched away from him. She had to get a grip. What the hell did she think when she ask him to come? She chuckled as she thou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter