oo1~ Final

Concrete Angel

 

A small sigh was heard on the quiet road leading to the middle school. Suddenly a figure was seen through the fog, walking slowly to the school. A small lunch she packed swinging from her right hand. A painted smile was on Bella's face as she slowly continued to walk towards the school building in front of her. Again today she wore the same light blue t-shirt that was so dirty, it looked as if she had worn it for the past few days, and she had. Her blue jeans had holes in them and she didn't care.

She walks to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holdin' back
Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides the bruises with linen and lace

Later, as Bella sat down in her fourth hour class, her teacher slowly walked by, issuing orders for the experiments they were about to do. Bella's face remained hidden, and as the teacher tried to get a better look, the arm moved down into Bella's lap where it stayed the rest of the class. The teacher sighed and continued toward the front of the classroom. When Bella walked to the lunchroom, the rush of students managed to crush her into the lockers nearby. As they passed, a boy with pure black eyes and the same color of hair stepped up, offering her a hand. She smiled lightly and took the offer. Bella knew him, his name was Chen.

As Bella continued to the lunchroom, Chen kept pace with her and he found that she was a very good friend. But as he saw the bruises on her face and arms, he reached out to hug her. He smiled sympathetically.

"We bear a secret storm." Bella laughed at the Chen's words, feeling happier that she ever had.

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask
It's hard to see the pain behind the mask
Bearing the burden of a secret storm
Sometimes she wishes she was never born

When Bella got home that night, she dodged the blows from her mother and scampered up to her room, waiting for the other houses window to open. When it did, she grinned and leaned out, speaking in hushed tones to Chen opposite of her. Suddenly a light wind blew, with it came the first drops of welcoming rain. Bella just stood still for a moment, feeling the beautiful rain on her face. Chen grinned as Bella stretched out her arms, an imitaiton of flying. But try as she might, they weren't real, so she opened her eyes and grinned sweetly at the boy.

"I feel loved, thank you." Bella was no longer ignored or hated by everyone, she had this boy.

Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
Concrete angel

Suddenly, Bella's door slammed open and Bella's eyes widened as her mother grabbed her roughly by the shoulders and began shaking her back and forth. Chen's eyes widened and he ached with sympathy. Bella turned her face towards him and mouthed, 'help' before her mother yanked it back in place and took the to the corner. Shadows on the wall displayed it all. A few houses away, a young couple entered their bedroom and closed the windows before turning off their lights. They didn't want to hear any of Bella's beatings. Sadly, when morning came, they'd be too late to save the child who's soul was now left for fate.

Somebody cries in the middle of the night
The neighbors hear, but they turn out the lights
A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate
When morning comes it'll be too late

Somewhere thinking of Bella that night, none knew they'd never see her again.

A few minutes after the beating started, the police and an ambulance arrived to find Bella's mother punching Bella in the face so hard, blood was pouring where teeth had once been. Chen was waiting outside beside the no crossing line belonging to the police, knowing his friend was gone. Sadness was sketched into his face as he remembered the brief look of bliss on Bella's face right before her mother came in. At least, he hoped, she's in a place that loves her.

Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
Concrete angel

A few days later, Bella's mother was in jail for abusing her child, waiting for the charges to be completely filed.

The next day, if anyone walked past the cemetery, they'd see a group of people standing beside a small gravestone under a quiet, shady tree. A small angel girl with an upturned face standing beside it, the guardian of Bella. A name written on the polished rock murmuring of promises and love now dead. Another broken heart that the world has now forgotten. Chen, standing beside the adults, quietly did a 180 and began walking, only to meet with the smiling face of his friend.

A statue stands in a shaded place

An angel girl with an upturned face
A name is written on a polished rock
A broken heart that the world forgot

He grinned and hugged her. Bella smiled as well, knowing what she hadn't known before. A light breeze began to blow, pulling leaves from the tree above. Suddenly a near inaudible call came from the hill to their left. Bella looked up and saw with happiness in her eyes, other, beckoning to them. Bella grabbed the Chen's hand and began pulling him towards the small group of children who ran down to meet them. Suddenly, Bella felt something on her back. She spun around and saw with pure joyful bliss, she had wings. They all did, even Chen. They all grinned and began tossing leaves at each other.

As the people moved away from the grave, everyone caught a glimpse of Bella and a few other, laughing and waving to them. Then they smiled and continued on their way home, knowing that now Bella was safe. And then the concrete angel smiled, as a whisper floated towards the children, I am your concrete angel...

Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
Concrete angel