1. He meets him in the summer.

Butterfly Boy.

Butterfly Boy.

 

 

 

Hyunsik meets him in the summer. He's taking a short-cut through the park because he's late for class and there he was; sat next to the flowerbed, holding out his hand to an culmination of butterflies. Hyunsik's so startled by the the sight he has to stop and watch for a while. The boy has various butterflies of all colours and shapes fluttering and settling around him, a bright adoring smile on his face. Hyunsik hasn't seen this many butterflies in one place, let alone this city! Hyunsik wonders if taking out his phone and taking a picture would be really weird. But he's not sure if he'll ever see this again and it's a moment he wants to preserve.

 

The boy looks young, almost like a child by the way he's behaving, but at the same time he looks older than Hyunsik. What fascinated him other than the butterflies, were his uniquely formed lips, bowed and pressed to the middle. Underneath his beanie were thick auburn locks, cut short and neat, his eyes sparking with amusment. And Hyunsik is reaching for his phone, he's going to regret this he's sure. He's about to unlock it when he sees the time. , he is so late! He dashes off, the 'butterfly boy' lingering on the edges of his mind.

 

He sees him again in the park, only this time, Hyunsik doesn't have a class to be late too. No. He's here with a cold drink in hand and coursework under his arm. It isn't weird to do work in the park, right? He sits down on the bench, scattering all his papers and books on the table. He's about to put his headphones in and begin working when he spots him. He's at a different flower bed, laid back on the grass, walking a butterfly along his fingers. Somewhere in Hyunsik is jealousy but it's muted by surprise and utter fascination. Butterfly Boy laughs, a warm sounds that's carried on the gentle breeze. It's almost like he's talking to the winged insect. Hyunsik then scoffs at himself because that's ridiculous and actually starts his work.

 

When he's finally finished, he stretches out the ache in his limbs and checks the time on his phone. It's nearly five but the sun is still bright, maybe it's a little colder but Hyunsik doesn't really notice. Butterfly Boy is still here, albeit in a different spot. A spot that's just a little closer to Hyunsik. He can see the boy a bit more clearly now. He's got a small frame but it's fairly muscular. There's a butterfly on the tip of his thumb and he looks deep in conversation with it. Suddenly, it's fluttering away, gently flying over the park and onto... Hyunsik's table. Hyunsik is so stunned by the coal and off white colour of the butterfly's wings he doesn't even notice the boy trotting over. But he looks up and there he is. He doesn't really acknowledge Hyunsik, he just gives him a few glances as he holds out his hand to the butterfly. The guy is almost an eyesore because he's dressed entirely in red (although it's all carefully coordinated), and Hyunsik wonders if he's got OCD or something before he remembers it's none of his business. But the butterfly doesn't budge it only lazily fans it's wings in the almost setting sun.

 

“I'm sorry,” Butterfly Boy says with another fleeting glance at Hyunsik. His voice isn't all that deep but it has a warm rumble to it. “Come here!”

 

“It's fine,” Hyunsik smiles and turns his attention back to the black insect. He's never seen one up so close before. It's mostly black with dull white speckles on the edge of it's wings. He can even see it's antennae and what he affectionately calls the tongue because he doesn't know it's scientific name. He's entranced.

 

“I don't know why he landed here. He was telling me about how buttercup nectar tastes better than rose nectar and suddenly -” Hyunsik's not entranced any more because that's the most ridiculous thing he's heard this year.

 

“What?!” Butterfly Boy gives him a dirty look, like he's the weird one. He urges the butterfly back onto his hand some more but it doesn't budge. Did he really just say a butterfly spoke to him?! “That's a butterfly...” Hyunsik can feel the laughter boiling in his stomach. “It... said... that to you?!” Butterfly Boy rolls his eyes with a sigh and throws up his hands in defeat and steps back.

 

“Fine, I'm leaving!” He hisses at the butterfly and walks away. Hyunsik hastily grabs his things and starts chasing after him. He might've just made a big mistake. Maybe the guy has a mental problem so he talks to butterflies an imagines they can talk back? What does he know?! He can't believe he just went and offended him so carelessly!

 

“Hey, wait! I'm sorry!” He catches up to him but the shorter just carries on walking, ignoring Hyunsik. “So a butterfly can talk to you, that's cool.” There's no response. Hyunsik sighs. Well he's apologised for offending him, there's not much more he can do, no matter how curious about the boy he is.

 

 

 

 

He's looking for Eunkwang, his friend whose major is biology and Butterfly Boy is there. Of all places the boy could be and he turns up at his University! He's got a long slim box in his hands: a display case. Why has he brought a display case all the way to the science of block of his University? He's spared a glance as he waits in the doorway of a classroom. Hyunsik takes his chance.

 

“Hey, um...” He walks up to him and the contents of the case are revealed to him. Butterflies. All different sizes and colours, pinned to velvet with a small placard under each. A collection of dead butterflies. “I didn't mean to offend you the other day. I'm sorry.” There's silence and a small nod. Hyunsik's forgiven it seems. The boy seemed so happy when they flew around him in the park, why would he keep dead ones locked up?

 

“I'm donating them. I can't live with the guilt.” Butterfly Boy says, voice quiet with a hint of remorse. This boy is very strange, stranger than Hyunsik first thought.

 

A tutor arrives and starts talking to Butterfly Boy avidly about the encased insects. His face lights up as he smiles but it doesn't quiet reach his eyes. Hyunsik quickly checks the time on his wrist watch and thinks he can see Eunkwang another time. Butterfly Boy is lead inside the classroom leaving him awkwardly waiting outside. He watches the short boy as he hands over the display case, his happy demeanour faltering a bit. He must really care about the butterflies. His curiosity for him grows and grows. They bow to eachother and the boy leaves, smiling at Hyunsik, waiting.

 

“You want to get a coffee?” Hyunsik offers and Butterfly Boy nods but doesn't move with Hyunsik. Instead, he holds out his hand.

 

“I'm Minhyuk.” The taller can't help but grin as he returns the shake.

 

“Hyunsik.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minhyuk is an easy person to get along with. He's open caring, funny in the right places, talkative, clever, and he listens. Something about him just relaxes Hyunsik from the core. It's a very nice feeling.

 

They've grown close over coffee in the park, surrounded by butterflies. Minhyuk is like a magnet to them, he naturally attracts them. They flock in, sometimes there's a lot, sometimes there's only one or two. Minhyuk talks to them as if they're people but Hyunsik finds it's endearing. The other's face is so full of joy and contentment as he communes with them, it's a beautiful innocence. He teaches Hyunsik the names of each and Hyunsik's sure he's forgotten most of them because there are so many.

 

One day, Minhyuk announces that he's older than Hyunsik after asking when his birthday is. But when Hyunsik asks the same question, he doesn't get an answer – he's flat out ignored. So Hyunsik doesn't go any further and rarely asks Minhyuk anything. Sometimes, he feels as if Minhyuk knows everything about him and he knows nothing about Minhyuk. Nothing other than that he can talk to butterflies. Hyunsik feels as if the friendship is very one-sided. But Minhyuk worms his way into Hyunsik's life regardless, a butterfly on his shoulder.

 

 

Somewhere along the way, Hyunsik comes to the realisation that he's fallen in love with his Butterfly Boy. It's so simple that he almost admits it immediately. It feels so natural that he thinks that he's OK with it – he knows he's OK with it.

 

Minhyuk is at his place, enjoying some tea as he leans on the railing of the balcony, a aladania mimic crawling along his finger. It's a name that Hyunsik is surprised he can remember but then realises that it's because he sees that certain butterfly so much around Minhyuk, that's how it stuck. He's dressed in blue today, the edges of his figure glow orange in the sunset. His red hair has long since washed out and it rests neatly along his eyebrows a smoky black. The smile of the elder's features is heartbreakingly beautiful, it makes Hyunsik's chest ache, feeling he hasn't had for a long time. A the little voice in his head says: 'you're in love Hyunsik' and he agrees with it.

 

“He says stop staring,” Minhyuk's amused eyes land on him and Hyunsik's insides get churned up. He laughs and joins his friend's side on the balcony.

 

“Sorry.” Minhyuk offers the butterfly to him so he holds out his palm and the insect creeps across. Hyunsik ignores that their hands touch for a bit. During his time with Minhyuk, he's had many a butterfly upon him but he doesn't think he'll ever get used to the feeling of small soft legs, practically weightless as it moves on him. It makes his skin pleasantly shiver.

 

“He says I should tell you something.” The mimic settles on the back of his hand and Hyunsik looks up at Minhyuk who's turned his attention to the vista of city in front of them. “But I'm not going to. Not yet.” Minhyuk's hair is a little bit long and he doesn't stop the hand that reaches up to fix his hair into a neat line. Minhyuk doesn't flinch, he doesn't to anything in response, but Hyunsik knows he's crossed a boundary, and he has done without regret.

 

 

 

 

A new year has been and gone but it's still cold in February. Hyunsik congratulates himself for making it this far through the academic year. He's also made progress with Minhyuk, he knows a lot more about him now. He wonders if it's down to his unconscious physical contact that's made the him open up. But then he thinks no, because that's weird.

 

He says he lives in a old house nestled somewhere on the outskirts of the city. He inherited it when his Grandfather passed away, his only family left. He also said he'd take Hyunsik there one day. They've fallen into a routine that began long ago in the summer. Park and coffee on weekends, and stay at Hyunsik's usually on a Tuesday. They see each other almost every day for varying amounts of time. Hyunsik remembers not to neglect Eunkwang though, it's almost impossible to do that. His friend and said he changed, he seemed more happy, and Hyunsik just smiled. So maybe he was a little happier lately. It's progress. Progress to what?

 

They're in the park again, only this time, Hyunsik's brought his old guitar with him. He hasn't played since high school, but his fingers find the notes slowly and he's playing old melodies before he knows it. Minhyuk is sprawled out on the grass, a favourite thing of his, butterflies resting around him.

 

“Didn't know you could play.”

 

“I haven't for a long time,” He chuckles, the plucking of strings warming his fingers. “Isn't it too cold for butterflies?” A few passer bys agree with him, giving Minhyuk strange looks because it's February and he's reclining with butterflies.

 

“Yeah but they wanted to see me.” Hyunsik chuckles again, shaking his head fondly.

 

“Why you?” He glances at Minhyuk who's got a white one on the end of his nose. He's laughing, only the butterflies make him laugh like that. Hyunsik bites back the feeling that's clawing it's way up his throat. His question goes ignored, someone’s seemingly too engrossed in butterflies. Hyunsik carefully puts his guitar in it's case and stands up. Hyusik realises he doesn't mean as much to Minhyuk as the butterflies. He's second to butterflies. He's been so stupid.

 

“Where are you going?” Minhyuk doesn't move or look at Hyunsik. He's sick of the sight of butterflies.

 

“Home.”

 

 

 

It's a whole week until he sees Minhyuk again. Hyunsik is about to go to bed it being one in the morning and he's done eighty percent of his work, when there's a ruckus coming from outside. Are the neighbours fighting or something? It sounds like a cat, scrambling along the walls, what the hell? He follows the sound to his balcony, it's coming form below him... Suddenly, a hand is reaching up to the railings and a tuft of dishevelled black hair pops out. Hyunsik knows exactly what it is, or who it is, before a face appears with dirt smudged across his cheek.

 

“Minhyuk! What the hell are you doing?!” Leaning over the railing he helps the elder up onto the balcony. “You're lucky I'm on the first floor! What the-” Minhyuk grins gingerly and dusts himself off.

 

“I wanted to see you.” Hyunsik's anger disappears and he reaches out to smooth Minhyuk's hair back in place.

 

“It's traditional to use the front door,” He sighs and there's a smile spreading out across his face because Minhyuk's nose is scrunching up.

 

“I hate traditions,” And he's fallen again. Fallen back into Minhyuk and he can't stop himself.

 

 

Two cups of tea later and they're stretched across Hyunsik's cheap sofa and sleep is the furthest thing from his mind. He lazily Minhyuk's soft hair as he's nestled under his arm and on his chest. He never wants to move, not for the world.

 

“I need to tell you something, Hyunsik.” He hums and closes his eyes, he's so comfortable right now, he wonders if Minhyuk is too. He hopes so. He really hopes so. “I'm an alien.”

 

It takes him exactly three minutes to realise what Minhyuk's said and even then he has to do a double take. He sits up, forcing Minhyuk to move off him and so he sits with his back to Hyunsik.

 

“You're an alien?!” Maybe this is another of the boy's illusions? Although it's been so long that even Hyunsik's started to believe he really can talk to butterflies.

 

“Yup.” Hyunsik can't tell if it's a joke but he decides it must be because that's the safer option.

 

“Yeah right.”

 

“I'm not joking.” And Hyunsik is stunned into silence. He has about a million questions he wants to ask but he can't voice a single one. “I came to this planet to learn about the ecosystem because ours is dying. But it took me longer than expected and when I called for a ship to take me back I... got no answer. I'm trapped here.” Hyunsik notices the chokes in his words and his hunched figure but he's so sure this is a joke. Anger boils inside of him. Sure maybe Minhyuk is a little weird but this is too much.

 

“Who do you think I am?! I'm not an idiot! Who put you up to this? Was it Eunkwang? I bet you all think this is hilarious!”

 

Minhyuk rounds on him, just as angry as he is, only he has tears in his eyes.

 

“I'm not lying! My planet is dead! I'm stuck here!” Hyunsik is on his feet but he's unsure about where to stand on this. Minhyuk looks serious. He runs a hand through his hair and sighs. What's going on anymore? “I know it sounds crazy but it's true. And... I'd like to stay your friend but if you don't want to... I understand.” Minhyuk leaves through the front door and Hyunsik doesn't sleep for two days.

 

 

•••