Remembrance

Second Choices

"...""Keep this in mind, you are here to pursue your dreams, to go beyond and succeed in life.  You are the future of this nation.  Newcomers, welcome and those who have already been here, keep up the good work.  With nothing else to say, I officially announce the start of this new school year, good luck everybody."  Everybody starts to cheer, even if school has nothing exciting to cheer for.  In the eyes of the student who worked hard to get to such prestigious high school, there is hope and vision toward a golden goal.  Among this hopeful crowd, JiEun stares ahead.  It is her second and junior year of high school.  It has already been a year since she saw him for the last time.  She starts to remember and gets lost in the memory.

 

In the loudness of a party...

-H-hi YoungBae.

-Oh...hey...

-How have you been?  It's been a while since I don't see you...

-Is it a while 6 weeks?

-Well, yeah...sorry for the last time.

YoungBae sighs and smiles slightly to his paper cup of soda.

-So...what school are you going to attend?  What was your score?

-I changed my mind.

-Changed your mind?  Are you not going to the vocational school? How come?

-I was not able to, my father told me that I had to pass it, no matter what.  So, I just did it.

-And your dream...

-It's better like this-the boy said with a simper on his face.

JiEun sighs out of relief and bites her lower lip.  YoungBae still has his face down and the girl admires his profile.  It is so good that things are now clearer.  She likes to look at him, especially when he is like that.  She notices a different look in his eyes, a sweet feeling almost dumb.  She knows that look very well, she looks at herself in the mirror every morning, she knows it very well.  He grins widely as if imagining something good.  They both have the same look.  It's love.  YoungBae raises his head and continues grinning while looking at the other people dancing.  The music starts to get louder and JiEun realizes her surroundings.  JiEun stops staring at YoungBae and lowers her head.

-Hey, yo! Ya see who's there?-JiYoung interrupts.

-Who?

-Over there in the corner, she saw you already.  She can barely take her eyes off you.

-Really? Me?

-Yeah!!- JiYoung suddenly notices JiEun being beside him holding her cup of soda-Oh! You came, so good!! How are you? Are you enjoying yourself?  It's a great party isn't it?

-Yes, it's really good, thank you for inviting me.

-No problem, girl.  Hey, would it bother you if I steal him for a moment?-JiEun blushes as JiYoung says this.

-W-what are you talking about? pff! hehe, I--before JiEun ends what she has to say, JiYoung takes YoungBae with him towards the corner of the room.  JiEun watches how people make way for the charismatic teenagers. At the end of the corridor of people a fair-faced girl with baby-like features is standing.  She is really pretty and sports fashionable clothes and a cute and natural make-up.  Before she spots anything else, the corridor closes in front of her and blocks her way.  A little worried, she tries to go where YoungBae is but changes her mind.

-No, stay here JiEun, he will be back.-She thought to herself

 

Her mind stops remembering those moments.  She is sitting at her desk, nobody around her.  There are a few girls chatting at the back of the classroom.  She listens to the corridor’s whispers and giggles then looks at the window to her left.  She gets lost in the warmth of the sun and closes her eyelids.  The bell rings and everybody starts to get into the classroom, the first day of school, nothing interesting, neither memorable.  At least not thus far.  Later in the afternoon JiEun stays after school for additional teaching.  While heading to her classroom, she appears to see YoungBae walking around the corner of a hallway.  A thrilling feeling takes control of her.  Without thinking too much she starts to run towards that direction, but there are some girls sweeping the floor who keep her from running fast.  When she gets to the two-sided end of the corridor, she doesn’t see anybody, not even in the distance.  Disappointed and a little angry with the girls, she renews her way back to her classroom.  She can’t focus in what she is doing.  Her heart still beats fast and she can’t stop blushing.  She can’t stand being seated and asks to go out for a drink.  She goes to the soda fountain, grabs a vitamin water and takes sit in one of the couches.  It is all silent.  She feels tired and closes her eyes for a few moments with her head up in the direction of the big window.  The soda fountain was a few meters behind of where she was.  She wakes up by the sound of someone grabbing a drink.  She feels scared for a moment and turns around to see who is there.  She recognizes a figure, someone familiar.