第1章 (Chapter 1)

Color Angels

Lewis Jesse sighed. Becoming a debuted band was harder than he had thought. Their senpais had always made it look easy, giving him and his friends a false impression. Matsumura Hokuto slumped on the couch next to him. Kouchi Yugo and Tanaka Juri were on two chairs a few feet away from them, lazily playing cards. Kyomoto Taiga was asleep, leaning his head on Morimoto Shintaro, who tiredly rested his head on the wall behind him.

Suddenly, the door burst open, startling the boys into alertness. Kamenashi Kazuya, Akanishi Jin, Taguchi Junnosuke, Tanaka Koki, Ueda Tatsuya, and Nakamaru Yuichi ran in, out of breath. Jesse stood up and walked over to the six older boys. "Senpai, what happened?" It took a while before any of them could answer.

Kazuya spoke up. "We need you to take our place." The six juniors looked questioningly at their upperclassmen. Kazuya removed a watch, the color of a silver pearl, from his pocket and handed it to Jesse, who took it apprehensively. Tatsuya took out an amethyst one and gave it to Hokuto. Junnosuke took out a ruby watch and passed it to Yugo, grinning. Yuichi took out a sapphire pocket watch and gave it to Shintaro. From Koki was an emerald watch, to which he gave to Juri. The last one, from Jin, was a watch the color of gold, and the appearance of quartz, which he handed to Taiga.

Together, the six upperclassmen bowed. Upon straightening, Koki said, "Ja, tanomu kara." With that, the older six boys left, leaving the younger ones with watches and confused expressions. Jesse looked quizzically at the silver watch in his hand, turning it over to examine the other side. It looked like an ordinary watch, nothing too dangerous.

Gingerly, the second youngest member wrapped the watch around his left wrist. Almost instantaneously, their surroundings melted into a swirling, color and light mixture. Mouths agape, the six Juniors stared around at what was supposed to be their dressing room. Slowly, surely, the multicolored display dissapated into tiny, glass shards. When the boys had gotten their bearings again, they saw that they were still somewhere unfamiliar.

They had landed on a solid slab of silver rock, with flecks that changed color anytime you shifted, even with the lack of sun. The rock was flat on top then narrowed to a point below them, and also happened to be floating. All around them, were stars, or dots of light they assumed were stars.

The only other thing on the rock, was a mahogany desk, out of place in this strange, celestial-like universe. Curiously, Juri edged towards it, his friends following cautiously behind. As they neared it, as if summoned by their presence, a leather-bound, gold-leaf book materialized, or appeared, was a better word. As if it had been there, but you couldn't see it unless you went closer. Gingerly, Juri reached over and lifted up the cover of the book. A rushing wind blew out of the book, making the boys instinctively shield their faces. When the wind died down, Jesse continued to the book. As soon as he saw what was on the pages, his mouth dropped into a near-perfect "O". His friends followed immediately after. On the book, weren't words, characters, or any sort of writing, for that matter. Instead, it was like a movie.

Scenes flashed by, dizzying, fast. They saw their six senpais, plus others they couldn't recognize. It was sort of like...it was going down through the years. Suddenly, they could hear it. There was no voice, or sound, yet inside, they could hear. It was like a wordless melody that gained meaning as it went along. Color Angels, Earth's Protectors. Silver Pearl, Metal. Jesse's watch glowed the color of the moonAmethyst, Plasma. Hokuto's. Ruby, Flame. Yugo's watch glowed so bright, it almost burned, making the oldest member nearly drop it. Sapphire, Waves. When Shintaro's glowed, it seemed as if he could hear the water. Emerald, Earthen. Juri jumped when his watch gave off a bright, green glow. Gold Quartz, Lightning. Taiga held his watch reverently as it blazed to a vivid gold.

The watches drifted out of their hands and landed gently on their wrists, wrapping itself around, as if a living clasp. Immediately as soon as each watch had been donned, their current surroundings melted and were replaced by the familiarness of their dressing room. All six were in some state of disbelief. Juri broke the silence first with a skeptical, "Color angels?" He stared at his green watch, as if it would give him answers. The object made no move to answer his unspoken questions. "What is this, exactly?" Shintaro held up his own watch. His thumb ran over a tiny oval rising up from the side, interrupting the sleek, smoothness of the watch's surface. Very gently, the youngest member pressed lightly on the button-like object, it seemed. Immediately, the watcch glowed again, so suddenly that he really did drop it.

A beam of sapphire light shot up from the face of the watch, and widened, enveloping Shintaro. Dimly, their friend's outline was visible, but he was no longer standing. It seemed as if something had picked him up and the boy was floating in the middle of the light, which now seemed to ripple, like the sun hitting the surface of an ocean. As the other boys watched, wings emerged from his back, and wrapped around the seemingly unconscious boy in a feathery embrace. Slowly, the light finally dimmed, until they could completely see him.

An invisible force gently placed the boy upright, the wings receding from around him until they spread out behind and to his sides. The watch had returned to its normal state. However, Shintaro didn't. He was no longer in the same clothes he had been wearing. Instead of jeans and a loose shirt, he now donned pants that were tucked into boots. They weren't tight, but not loose either. His shirt was form fitting and extended out the back, longer in back than in front, sort of like the inverted triangle that was on the back of old suits. His wings were a deep blue, that glinted in the fluorescent lights of the dressing room. To top it off, a pulsing blue outline covered their friend. When Shintaro opened his eyes, they were a startling ice-blue. As if drawn by the, transformation, if you will, the wordless melody appeared once again. Sapphire, Angel of the Waves.