Chapter

The Chaser

 

 

 

Revenge takes a lot of time, but I have all the time in the world...

I woke up early in the morning. The curtains in my bedroom were pulled away from the window so the sun could shine freely in my room. I was a morning person. I loved how the sun gave me that warm feeling on my skin. My room was little messy but it was my room and I was happy just the way it was. I went to the calendar and saw that it was my birthday, the 6th of November. I was now 19 years old. I always thought that the birthdays are something special, but I never thought that this would be my last birthday. I remember that my mother made a cake for me, like when I was a kid. I was happy to know that I’ll forever stay her little boy, but forever seemed a long time, at least for a mere human.

That morning my friends took me to some contest. They said that since it was my birthday the luck will be on my side. I wanted to become a singer, although I wasn’t good at singing or dancing. But I wanted to be a rapper and I knew that it was a stupid dream. My father wanted for me to be a basketball star or a doctor. My mother told me that a profession is something that would bring you joy, something that you’ll do with all your heart, so I found what I wanted to be. But now all I wanted was revenge …
 

My dreams were simple, dreams that everyone had. I never thought that those dreams would fade away just for a day …

For a night …

For a second.

My life was perfect and I appreciated that. I was happy with what I had, but now I was alone. I still wonder how my world turned upside down and when I close my eyes I could see it as if it was yesterday.

 

I was happy, but now all I felt was hatred.

I was loved, but now all I had was memories of what I had.

I was alive, but now I am living in the shadow of what I was before.

I was myself back then, but now I am what she made me.

I thought that I could love, but everything changed on that day …

 

It was raining back then. My lessons just ended and I had to go home. If I knew what was coming up, I would probably stay at school until the rain stopped, but maybe that was the path that I had to take, the path that would lead me to my death.

She was standing in the rain all alone. Her beautiful black hair was falling all over her pale face. She was standing in front of the hospital looking at the entrance without even moving. At first I was amazed by her appearance. The umbrella in my hand almost fell when our eyes met. Just for a moment I thought that they were in the beautiful shade of red, but how come a human posses such mysterious eyes?

 

My feet slowly moved toward her like they wanted our paths to meet. She looked up at me with those mysterious eyes. The rain was falling on her small body, but she was not moving, just staring at me. I gulped the saliva that was stuck in my throat before parting my lips to take a deep breath. I moved the umbrella just to protect her from the pouring rain. I had no idea what I was doing at that time, but I thought that it was the right thing a boy should do to a girl that was standing in the rain. I wondered if she was lost and why she was standing in front of the hospital. But now I know why. Because the hospital was something like a supermarket for humans.

 

And that was the story of how I met the mysterious girl. Her name was Kasumi, she was a beautiful girl that came from Japan. She told me that her parents died long time ago and she was living with her grandmother. She was quiet most of the time, but I enjoyed her company the most. If I knew what was coming up ahead, I would probably never let her cross my door, I would never let her in my house. Little did I knew, she became part of my life. I felt those butterflies in my stomach every time I saw her, it was strange at first but soon I found out that I was in love with her. But now I understand, I was stupid to think that she could love a guy like me … a mere human.

 

At that time in the town there were a lot of cases where people were brutally murdered. It was strange how the killer drained their bodies, not leaving a single drop of blood. They thought it was the work of a serial killer, but I never believed in that. How could a person kill others without anyone noticing the cries for help? How can a human do that to another human being? I still wonder what it would be if I never noticed that Kasumi was always out at night, and hardly seeing her at the day. How her eyes were always colored in red when she was with me, how her skin was pale and cold. Maybe if I stayed in the shadows without asking questions, I would still be alive. But I wanted to know her secret, I wanted to know why she was different … why she was perfect.

 

I never believed in mythical creatures, it was like a fairytale to think that the humans are not hunters anymore but being hunted by other beings.  I heard once about those creatures, creatures coming from the debts of Hell. They were just the same as me … as you … as every human. But they were stronger, faster.  Their skin was white, almost transparent, red eyes … like I was describing Kasumi. I was denying the facts, I tried to close my eyes for what I never wanted to see. I tried to ask her many times why she never came out at daytime, but she just smiled weakly. If I knew what that forced smile meant back then, I would just leave everything as it was, but I wanted to know more. I wanted to know if she was a creature from Hell. I wanted to know if I was living a dream, or I was facing a nightmare.

 

I still remember the night I went out to find the truth. It was passing midnight when I went out from home for the last time just being Kris. The cold breeze brushed against my body as if preventing me from going to her house. But I knew that I had to find the truth, the truth that I still regret knowing. I went to her house but as expected Kasumi was not there. I stood in front of the door for awhile. My brain was trying to make connection with all the strange things that happened at that time.

The shadow that passed in front of me made me jump a little. There was not a single soul around, but I knew that she was here, watching me. For the first time in my life I felt scared, scared for my life. I knew that I had to run away, but I was just a human … a weak being that was facing the unknown. I managed to pull myself together so I could go home and forget, forget about everything. Just as I crossed the road I saw her. In her embrace was a man, her teeth were buried in his neck. He was long dead. The horrible sound of swallowing his life force still echoes in my ears. I still remember the look she gave me when our eyes met. She was like a beast, red eyes filled with hunger, lips colored in the shade of red….

 

My heart was beating fast for the last time before it stopped beating forever. At that time I tried to run, but my feet were frozen. I was not sure what was going on or at least I never wanted to know. The girl that I loved was a monster …. She was the predator and I was the prey. Those red eyes were mesmerizing me, I was afraid back then. I still could feel her teeth piercing trough my skin. She was fast and I was just a human unable to stop a creature stronger than me. Her teeth sank into my flesh. I felt how the red liquid was sliding down my neck. The horrible feeling of being killed slowly by the person you love. She slowly leaned my body to the ground. Her lips were covered in blood, my blood. I felt how her cold palm brushed softly my cheek while she mumbled ‘ Sorry ‘ before she left me alone on the ground.

 

I felt how my life was running away from me as my body was getting colder … just like the ground beneath me. I felt betrayed by the one I love, left alone to die like an animal. Kasumi was a heartless monster just like I am now. But something was strange, something in my body was strange. Like I was turning into something unknown to the human world. Something that I regret becoming, a creature from Hell.

 

I’ll never forget the day my parents buried me into the cold ground. The cries of my mother, the voice of my father comforting her. If only they knew that I was a monster, they would probably run away from me, but at that time I was turning into something that I never wanted to be. The moment when I woke up, the only thing I could see was darkness. My throat was on fire, the pain … unbearable. I can’t remember how I managed to escape from my grave, but before I knew it I was back home. I wasn’t able to enter because I wasn’t invited anymore. A monster like me had no place among humans. But the thirst was killing me slowly, I was out of my mind back then.

I thought many times what if I died when Kasumi left me, maybe my parents would be still alive, because I wasn’t. I blame myself for everything.

 

Every time I close my eyes I remember the look on my mother’s face when she saw her dead son right in front of the door. I remember her loving hug when she welcomed me in our house. Her hands were shaking as they embraced my already cold body. Also I remember how I heard the blood that was rushing through her veins, the rapid rhythm of her heart. I remember her cries when my teeth pierced the skin of her neck. The taste of her blood on my lips. Then I killed my father the same way. The pain in my throat faded away, but the pain in my already frozen heart was unbearable.  I cried out loud at what I had done to my beloved parents. Their bodies lied down on the floor while I blamed myself …

 

The morning came fast, but I was afraid now. Afraid that I’ll kill more people just to satisfy my thirst. My parents laid on the ground lifeless. I thought that they’ll become monsters like me, but they were dead … forever gone from this world. I was now alone, not sure if I was alive or dead. If I had the right to be in this world.

I was confused, scared …

The sun that I loved all my life was now hurting me … burning me. I had no idea why, but once the sunlight landed on my skin it was setting it on fire. The pain was the same as when Kasumi drained my blood. Now I knew why she never went out at daytime, just because she could die. And now I was the same, a night creature. I’ll never go out in the sunlight again, I won’t be able to look up the sky and see the sun. I’ll never see my friends again, my parents. I would never fulfill my dreams. And it’s all her fault.

 

I once had a perfect life, parents, friends, dreams. I once had a smile on my face, living every day of my life like it was the last. But now I know that the time for me had stopped. Now the only reason I exist in this world is to find her. The girl that ruined my life just for a second. If she was the predator and I was the prey, now it was different. Now I was the predator and she was my prey. If I had to stay away and run from her few days ago, now she should be the one running away from me.

The only thing I live for is revenge. If love was leading me back when I was a human, now the thing keeping me in this world is revenge.

 

I am a monster … I deserve to die …

But I can’t die before finding her, before making her pay for ruining my life … 

 

 

 

A/N:

So what you all think ? I still wonder if I should make it a one-shot or a story

I’ll be glad if you tell me if this story is good enough to be a long story or to leave it as one-shot