Final

The Ringtone

Everybody must be have some unforgettable moments in their life. It can be very happy, very sad, very embarrassing, very funny or indeed very scary. This story is one of unforgettable moment in my life. I don’t know where I must categorize this story of mine. Is this a very funny moment? Is this a very embarrassing moment? Or maybe this is a very scary moment? Anyway, this story is indeed breath-taking, simply heart aching. The story itself happened when I was on my 3rd grade in high school.

 

On one beautiful night, my friends and I gathered at Jessica’s house. We chose her house because she was alone in her house and her parents didn’t mind if we are hang out in her house. It is been a long time since we are gathered in a friend’s house. That night, we had made a plan to cook and ate dinner together.

“What we are going to cook?” I asked Jessica.

“Well, maybe we can just cook spaghetti”, she replied while my hair lovingly.

“And I will cook it. You two, lovebirds, prepare the table. Okay?” Hyoyeon added while flipped the magazine she read.

“Okay, boss” I said and Jessica meronged at Hyoyeon.

Soon enough, my friends came. They are Taeyeon, Tiffany, Yoona, Sunny and our maknae, Seohyun. At that time, we already finished cook our food.

“Hey you! Danshin duo! Can you two help us to serve the food? “I asked Taeyeon and Sunny.

 “Yah! What did you say?” Sunny glared at me.

“Hehe n-nothing” I said.

We ate in the living room and we ate dinner in joy.

“Did all of you finish the math homework? I am not finish yet, it is so hard.” Tiffany began to open the conversation.

 “Me neither. I am more focused to do our English subject assignment to write narrative, and guess what? One of our classmate asked me to do her assignment and she willingly to pay me”, I said.

“What? Really?” They asked me in disbelief.

“Yes. Why I lied to you?” I asked them back. Everyone just nodded.

“Do you remember what we have done few days ago on Yoona’s birthday?”  Taeyeon said while grinning like a crazy person.

“Yeah, how can I forget about that? The day when my white uniform transformed to be a brown uniform, the day when my hair became white as flour and you guys throw dozen of raw eggs at me. How can I forget about that?” she said sarcastically.

“Hahaha you should have seen you face when we pushed you into the mud pool in front of our class. It was so priceless.” Sunny said mockingly.

“You also screamed like a little girl. You were shouting to us to stop. You said we will ruin your hairstyle; we will make your face, your uniform and make your shining black shoes dirty. Don’t be such a sissy, Yoona.” Jessica added.

“Hey! You should know that maintaining appearance in so hard. I am not a boy like you guys. I do care about my appearance. You got it?” Yoona snapped back at Taeyeon and Jessica.

“Yeah. Whatever!” Jessica rolled her eyes.

“Enough, unnie. Now, let’s eat”, Seohyun ordered us and then we ate peacefully. After we ate, we continued again our conversation.

“Hey, guys. Did you know that Yuri and a girl, one of the first grade students, were fighting this morning?” Tiffany asked.

“Of course I know. I was there and in fact, Yuri asked me to accompany her and to show where that junior’s class.” I replied.

“Are you the one who hit that junior? I heard that it’s not Yuri who hit her.” Hyoyeon asked me curiously.

“Of course it’s not me. I am a good girl.” I said in matter-or-fact tone.

“Yeah. Said the one who arrested by the police because riding motorcycle without wearing helmet.”  Jessica said while knocked my head.

“Yah! It’s hurt. Besides, I am not the only one who arrested. Taeyeon and Yuri, too.” I snorted.

We also discussed how it will be if the final examination came. We chatted animatedly until Taeyeon told us a hottest gossip in the town. It was about a ghost!

“Have you heard news about a ghost story around this town lately?” Taeyeon asked and suddenly, the fun and live atmosphere died. It replaced with intense and scary atmosphere. Everybody in the room became very serious. We looked at each other and we became silent for a moment.

“Not really. Continue the story please?” Sunny told Taeyeon to continue the story.

“Well, few days ago, a young man passed a cemetery. He heard that he was called by someone. He turned his head around and saw a woman maybe about 200 meters from the cemetery gate. The woman told the seller she wants to borrow his lighter. Then, the man searched the lighter in his bag without looking at the woman because the atmosphere was very uncomfortable because it was midnight and it was near a cemetery. When the man found his lighter, her turned around to tell the woman but he was very surprised because the woman is gone. He looked around to his surrounding to find the woman and suddenly, he saw a scary creature in front of the cemetery gate. The creature was a woman who wear in a dirty and old dress. The woman looked directly at him and then laughed hysterically. He was very scared and then he ran away.” Taeyeon finished her story.

 I released a long breath; the story surely sent chills down on my spine. It was very scary. I shifted my eyes towards the girls. I watched as their eyes scanned the room suspiciously, I could tell they were frightened. Maybe they were scared if the ghost will appear in front of their eyes.

After Teayeon told the story, Sunny started to tell another ghost story again.

“I also heard a ghost story. Let me tell you the story…” she started to speak, suddenly it was black out. Tiffany, Yoona, Seohyun,  and Jessica screamed because surprised in unison. Jessica hugged me tightly.

“Jessica, don’t be afraid. I am here”, I told her while hugged her and she just nodded.  

“We will search the candle and then lighted it up. Come on Soo, Hyo! Sunny you wait here with them”, Taeyeon ordered us.

 We searched the candle nervously, waiting to find the candle felt like hours due to the intensity of the situation.

“We can’t find the candle. Are you sure you still have the candle left?” Hyoyeon asked to Jessica.

“I am not really sure.” She mumbled loud enough for us to hear.

“Unnie, I am really scared”, Seohyun said.

“Calm down, maknae. Nothing bad will happen to us”, Hyoyeon replied calmly.

I averted my gaze at the door; I was very scared because I am afraid if the ghost will appear in front of us. The air was cold and silence filled the room, the emptiness was almost unbearable with the thrilling atmosphere.  My ears perked out as a very strange and very mysterious sound caught my attention. We heard a scary woman’s laughing filled and echoed the house. I was sent into a panicked frenzy state. We were frozen in our spot. No one dare to speak, my blood rushed into my heart and it felt like my heart was squeezed.  I could feel my heart beating very fast. My body quivered as the whole of my bottom lip trembled with fear.

“Kyaaaaa! W-Wh-What is that Taetae? I am scared”, Tiffany said.

“Can all of you stay calm? Maybe we just misheard something.” Teayeon gulped and took in a deep breath while holding Tiffany’s hand tightly. We tried to calm as much as we can and then we heard the scary laughing again. This time the laughter seemed very close to us. It felt like the woman laughed directly inside our head. Automatically, we freaked out and screaming uncontrollably. We rushed to the front door.

In the midst of chaos, a motorcycle came. It was Yuri.

“Why you guys are panting and look very pale? Your face is as white as a white sheet.” She asked.

“T-T-There was a very scary woman’s laughing inside Jessica’s house. We heard it twice in row.” Sunny said while panting hard.

“Really? All of you heard that?” She surprised.

 Then she asked Jessica,”Have you seen my cell phone in your house?”

“I think I accidentally left it when I borrowed your math text book this evening.” She explained.

“I don’t know.” She responded.

“Why don’t you call your number? If it left here, it will ring, right?” She suggested.

 Yuri dialed his number and then there was a scary laughing again.

“Did you hear that? The laughing.” Yoona asked toYuri in a scared tone.

 “Yes. Of course I heard that voice,baby. Finally I found my cell phone.” She said calmly.

“What do you mean with that statement? We are scared to death.” Jessica exclaimed.

“Why so serious guys? That so called scary woman’s laughing is my cell phone ringtone.” She laughed very hard and we just stood there dumbfounded.

“Urgh! You are so dead Kwon Yuri!” All of us screamed in unison and chased Yuri.