Beautifully strange, strangely beautiful

Train (seconds that pass by)

Metro Line 99. First wagon, the row at the very front, the seat at the right window side.

That's the place he would sit, right opposite the driving direction. She, who can't just sit at that direction, would sit right in front of him, so that they are face-to-face. Every five minutes – she can't tell that exactly – she would look at him, him who would gaze at the scenery outside, who would listen to music that can be heard faintly. And he would answer her gaze, probably half of the gazes she throws at him.

It's not like she does want this (she actually does), catching his attention and having the title of a weird stalker, but she just can't stop.

She can't stop looking at him, him who has dark brown hair, black, almond-shaped eyes which seem wood brown at sunlight, a triangle-shaped nose and bright lips (they're so so so kissable, she thinks). He is attractive, but Suzy usually doesn't just look at the exterior.

But he is different. Always was, always will be.

 

-

 

Sometimes, he would start looking at her. Look at her, with the deep brown eyes, and she would really really try not to look back at him, and yet, she would do and ruin everything. He would avert her gaze, and not even look at her the rest of the "journey" they have, and she would really regret it. But the little milli-seconds of eye contacts they make is enough for Suzy – more than just enough – and she feels so safe with him around. Probably too safe; he is a stranger, and has no idea what her name is, what she even does with her living. He knows nothing.

But maybe, that's the thing that she likes so much about him. The fact that he's just there, doing nothing, not even interfering in her life, warms her heart in some way.

 

-

 

"Who is he?" her best friend Jiyeon asks. She has huge eyes – doe and huge – and a big mouth and simply everything on her face looks so big. But that is her charm – big features and big mouth and big speech and big heart. Just the bigness on her is melting other's hearts that look so little with her around.

"Somebody," Suzy answers, and feels that Jiyeon has no idea, just like she never has any kind of idea about relationships. How can she even know how it feels like to actually like a stranger then?

"Somebody you know?"

"No. At least not from the personality."

"Hm, you could change that," she replies. "You could actually ask him what his name is, what he does for a living, stuff like that. It's not hard."

It is, it is, it is.

 

--

 

I will say hi to him today, Suzy says to herself before she gets in the metro.

I will try tomorrow again, she promises herself when she gets out.

 

-

 

It's funny – she knows so many things about him, actually.

She knows that he always wears black. Maybe he belongs in some kind of weird club, or even worse, an obscure sect that forbids him to wear anything else than black. He wears a black jacket, a black pair of trousers, a black pair of shoes, black hair that is messed perfectly, and sometimes, when it's hot, black tee. And if it's not black, it has to be plaid. It's funny, Suzy thinks, constantly wearing black or plaid or fedora hats. He must be really stubborn.

But his stubbornness makes him sit exactly opposite her every day, and this stubbornness is probably something good.

(Scratch that – it is something good.)

Because without that, he wouldn't always sit there, earphones plugged in his ear, constantly looking out of the window (and sometimes even to her), and yes, Suzy thinks, he is the type of boy she'd like to date. He's the type, Suzy realizes, whom she would marry, and live together with him, and live with him happily ever after, share a house with him and have many kids, maybe three, maybe five, maybe ten, who knows, and the sons will all look as good as him. Suzy even thinks how cute they'd look, playing with the fedora hats of their father, and running towards their mother.

And yes, for Suzy, that is her dream goal she'd like to achieve.

 

-

 

She knows that he listens to Japanese music only.

She doesn't hear much, but it's loud enough and she hears faint Japanese words like the words for "but" or "please". What she also hears is that the music changes every minute – and yet, he doesn't even touch his phone. So it must be really short music. Or music that has been cropped before.

That's one of the questions she'd like to ask him – if he crops his music, just like that. She actually has many questions that she would like to ask him.

And the first and foremost question wouldn't even be the question what his name is.

It would be: Will you marry me?

 

-

I'll say hi to him today, Suzy tells herself when she gets into the train. She sits idly there, at the first row, at the seats next to the window, and waits for him to get in.

He does get in – two stations after she got in. He immediately sits right in front of her, plugs his earphones in and looks out of the window, as always. How can I even tell him now, she thinks. He has better things to do.

It's half-hearted and she knows this, and even the promise is half-hearted. And two half-hearted decisions make one full-hearted decision not to do it.

So she plugs her earphones in, too, and listens to faint music she doesn't even recognize, maybe it's Nell, maybe Lee Hyori, who knows, and she doesn't care. She looks outside, her thoughts as faint as smoke or fog, and she sighs a little. What a life she lives, she thinks. It's not even worth living. Not that she wants to commit suicide – she isn't stupid – but her life is just a bunch of boredom, that's all.

But with him – the guy right in front of her – her life gains a little color Suzy had never expected. It gains a bit of excitement, hope, promise, everything at once.

Just what would I do without you? she asks herself.

It is strange – gaining color from a person she doesn't know, actually. But does she really have to know who he is?

Probably not.

She looks at him – as usual – and he looks back – as usual – and she tries to mumble something – as usual – and nothing comes out, as usual. A half-hearted "hey" comes out, after five minutes. But it's so silent, so faint, that he doesn't hear this. How can he, even, when he listens to cropped Japanese music that is so loud that even Suzy hears it. It's better this way, she decides.

Oh yes, it's better that way.

They get out at the same station – it's the last station – and he goes the exact opposite way than she does.

I will try again tomorrow, she promises herself, but knows that it's half-hearted.

 

-

 

"You still haven't asked him what his name is?" Jiyeon asks dumbfounded.

"Yah, what can I do!" Suzy snaps. "He listens to cropped Japanese music and- and I tried okay but it didn't work since he listens to music so loud that I can hear it, too."

Jiyeon sighs. "The classical approaching problem. Try looking at him, talk to him, and then he'll unplug his earphones and ask excuse me, what have you said, and there you have your conversation!"

Suzy sighs, too, because Jiyeon has no idea. Jiyeon has no idea how he looks like. Suzy wonders what she'd say if she would see him.

Besides, it's really discouraging to hear an excuse me, what have you said, from the pretty stranger. No, no, she doesn't want to hear those words from him. She wants to hear a yes, or maybe your name is cute, or anything that sounds positive. Excuse me what have you said sounds as positive as the prediction of a heavy rain.

And even the prediction would be more positive than excuse me what have you said.

She sighs again.

 

-

 

When he sits there, chin rested on his hand, she lets out a "Wow."

He turns to her, a bit of shocked look in his eyes, and she quickly looked away, a deep red coloring her cheeks. Why am I this stupid? she asks herself.

She looks away, and her finger finds the way to her lips, and her lips find a way to bite her finger (nothing on purpose, though.)

And then she hears a little "wow."

She looks around, eyes a bit wide, and she sees him (and he looks at her for a second that is as long as an eternity.

He blinks and looks away, but this one short memory is burned in her head (forever.)

 

-

 

Sometimes, Suzy imagines how they would be together. (In fact, she always does this.) She imagines it when he gets onto the train, and then she imagines how nice it would be when they would share a room together – married, that is – and how she would always await him from work arms wide open and with a smile that welcomes him more than the flat ever will.

(It's classic, but every girl needs her little fairytale.)

When he gets in, the scenery becomes their flat – it's painted in brown, but it's still beautiful – and he would come and smile.

"Hey," he would say, in a voice she couldn't really describe. Beautiful. Perfect. Flawless. (But since when are these words even proper adjectives?

For Suzy, never.)

"Hi," she would answer, pressing a kiss on his cheek, and hug him tightly. Maybe a bit too tight, but both don't care.

(They actually never do, at least not in Suzy's imagination.)

He yawns, then, as usual when he returns from work, and she says (as usual), "Was it a lot of work?"

"Hmm," he would reply.

"Lay off a bit, okay?"

"Fine," he answers, goes straight to the couch without even changing his clothes properly and closing his eyes. Suzy smiles a bit when she hears snorting noises.

I'm so happy to have you, my haven.

 

-

 

He gets in, actually, and closes his eyes as soon as he leans his forehead towards the window. Suzy (really) smiles when she hears silent noises of his sleep, and he looks so peaceful, his face showing a serene expression. (She ignores the fact that everybody looks that way when they're asleep, because who cares even.)

Suzy plugs her earphones in and listens to music – it's Girls' Generation, and she wonders if he likes the girls group, too. Maybe not, she thinks, because he listens to cropped Japanese music, not to Korean. But he surely knows something about them. He just has to, because everybody knows them, and still dance to Wonder Girls' "Tell Me".  Suzy smiles when she recalls how her classmate has danced to Tell Me so well (he was a boy).

Time just passes by, they are mere seconds that Suzy can't sense, and music makes it pace faster, maybe too fast, because after two (or three) songs, they are at the last station.

And he still sleeps.

She stands up (how does she find the courage to it?) and goes to him. He's sleeping, his chest slowly raising and sinking, and she pokes him.

"Excuse me… excuse me…" she whispers. But he doesn't hear it. It's because of his earphones, his loud cropped Japanese music, she realizes. So she takes them slowly off and whispers again, "excuse me…"

It is as if everything would find its way to the solution. As if every puzzle piece would find its way to its respective place, (a mere luck, she would say,) his phone enlightens, and there is a short message from someone called "Lee Sungyeol stupid". There is only the beginning of the message, but only that is enough for her.

Kim Myungsoo, stupid, I know you're asleep, okay?

(Kim Myungsoo. Bae Suzy. His name starts where hers ends. Kim Myungsoozy. It's perfect, perfect, perfect, she thinks.) "Kim Myungsoo-sshi."

He wakes up; his eyes are wide awake, and he looks at her.

"Kim Myungsoo-sshi," she says politely (or maybe it is because she dares saying my beautiful stranger Myungsoo.) "It's the last station. You should leave the train."

"Ah… Yeah, sure, but…" He looks down to his phone, reads the message from Lee Sungyeol stupid, and understands (Suzy has always liked guys with intelligence.).

"You have it from the message, right?"

"It was purely coincidental," she defends herself.

He chuckles (it sounds like a spring breeze, beautiful and refreshing) and says, "I believe you."

"But we should get out!" With an ambition Suzy has never seen from herself, she grabs his wrist (it's so so so warm, and she receives electricity all over the place) and pulls him out of the train. When she sees his face, she sees that it has become all red. (She swears that hers had become that way, too. She can feel it.)

"Thanks a lot again." He scratches his free hand. "Since you know my name, may I know yours, too?" The beautiful black orbs look at her so perfectly, that Suzy has no idea what to do. (It's like black holes – once you get in, you can't really get out.)

"Bae Suzy," she introduces herself.

"Thanks a lot, Suzy-sshi," he says and smiles. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Me neither, Kim Myungsoo-sshi, my beautiful stranger.

"You're welcome, Myungsoo-sshi," she answers and blushes (for real this time). They bow politely, and both head their ways.

For Suzy, this is the most beautiful day she'd ever had.

 

-

 

On the next day, when he gets in, he greets her in a friendly way with, "Hi, Suzy-sshi."

"Hello, Myungsoo-sshi," she answers.

"How is your day?"

So the conversation unfolds, and Suzy realizes that the line between strangers and friends isn't really far away.


 

a/n: wow. actual myungzy fluff, but who cares. this is probably close to a word vomit. anyways. have a nice day, elly.