1

Video Games

Oh Sehun.

“Another one of those flower boys?” A female student snickers, catching glances of him wandering around the hall, hands in his pocket, his dull, stoic expression staring out a window. “Yeah, him. Isn’t he cute though? I mean, if you want, I can try hooking you guys up.”

It’s physical education class, and Sehun is next to his best friend Jongin, who is cracking jokes and is the loudest laughing. It’s soccer today, and a girl with a high ponytail and a red track suit slyly walks toward Jongin. “Oh, hey! What, you wanna watch me play soccer like a god?” Jongin sneers, tugging Sehun toward him. He shoots him a glance, She’s cute.

The girl shakes her head and playfully hits Jongin, and turns her gaze toward Sehun, his mouth was half open and he was  probably thinking about what they were going to have in the cafeteria later in the day. “Hey, Oh Sehun.”

Sehun lazily blinks and focuses his attention on the girl. A petite frame, pretty face, above average when it came to looks.

She looks down and looks back up, her eyes lighting up. “I’m Naeun.”

Sehun nodded. “…Hey.” Jongin was on the verge of pulling his own hair out. “Sorry, my friend…he’s not very good with words. Anyways, what brings you here?”

She smiled, “I was wondering if you guys wanted to hang out over the break sometime? We’ll have fun.”

Jongin grins widely and playfully punches Sehun’s shoulder. “Count us in, ah, right. I’ll give you my number.”

 

Sehun shows up late. He always does. Not extremely late, but fashionably late. He looks different when he’s not in uniform, he looks sharp, handsome. He seems a bit taller and Jongin can’t help but feel a little jealous.  They meet at a small café and Naeun brought another friend along. Turns out her friend and Jongin got along a little too well and insisted that Sehun and Naeun spend the day together while they go out to go “sightseeing.”

Sehun was dumbfounded when Jongin waved bye, the girl’s arm linked to his. “Have fun! Text if you need anything!” He winks, and off into the distance they go.

Sehun turns his head, and there she is, her eyes fixated on Sehun’s face. “So um…what do you wanna do?”

“Anything!” She chirps, taking a step closer.

Sehun bites the inside of his cheek and softly grunts. Hey, listen up. I’m not good with these things. You think a guy like me would be used to taking girls out, huh. I don’t have a damn clue. I only came because Jong-

“Can you sing?” she asks, lightly tugging at Sehun’s shoulder.

“…Well…not really.”

“Hmm..do you like games?”

“Well who doesn’t.”

“We’ll go to the arcade.”

She drags him there, but he can’t really stop her either. When they get to the arcade, Sehun hates the sight. He wants to leave, it’s noisy and crowded. He eyes the exit door and tries to feel his pocket for his phone. , I left it at home.

“Are you good at fighting games?” She laughs, sitting down and inserting coins into the machine. “I bet you I can beat you.”

Sehun sniffs, “What makes you say that?”

“It’s intuition. Come on, sit!”

Sehun hesitatingly sits himself down on the small chair and the game has already started. He squints in disbelief when she beats him 5/5 rounds.

“How’d you do that.”

“I told you!” She laughed, holding out her hand. Sehun grabs it and stands back up and stares at her in disbelief. “You cheated.”

“I never cheat.”

“Then let’s play that, not even Jong can beat me in that.”

Shooter games. Done. Sehun was wiped out within the first 4 minutes.

By the end of the day, they ended up back at the café. The girl walks over with an ice coffee and places it on the table. “Here, you must be thirsty from defeat.

“Sit down, and be quiet,” he mumbles, putting his lips to the straw. Why does she look so smug.

Sehun clears his throat and sets his cup back on the table. “So uh. I thought this was supposed to be a date. Aren’t dates supposed to be…” he waves his hands in the air and rolls his eyes. “…Romantic and cheesy.”

She laughs at his gesture, “I’m sorry. I don’t know how to be any of those.”

“Well neither do I.”

Sehun kinda smiles at this. “Or when they keep going ‘Oppa, oppa, buy me this.’”

She sticks her tongue out. “Oppa, I’m tired. Please carry my bag!”

“Or those horrid texts they send with those smiley faces…”

She laughs again. “You do realize we’re making fun of our own best friends, right?”

Sehun cackles, “Jongin, that little frick. He has a new girl every day.”

“Same…” she smiles, Sehun can’t help but smile back.

An awkward silence fills the room and Jongin and his new girl has arrived. They’re already hand in hand.

“We should play again some other time.   Sehun quickly mumbles.

She blinks, and nods slowly, laughing. “All right, just don’t cheat!”