051

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

          The fight on the surface, seemed to be underway with the sirens winning out. The men on the ships were sitting ducks, ill equipped to fight such a threat and lacking in numbers and strength. Their large ships and the lack of land left them almost defenseless. Both male and female sirens came to their ships with hands tearing apart the wooden structure with such swiftness and brutality; they could feel their ship sinking. Many of the men left on board did the best they could to ward them off with the supplies they had. Below the deck on one of the ships, Suho, Baekhyun, Chen, Luhan, Xiu Min, and Tao worked below firing off canons into the water. It didn’t seem to do its job, only scaring off the larger groups of sirens away from the ship. It only left them to attack the other surroundings vessels who struggled to keep themselves afloat.  Kris, Kyungsoo, Lay, and Chanyeol handled the top deck shooting off bullet after bullet at any creature that came close to attacking their ship. The guns weren’t doing much good either. The misses outnumbered the hits, and they were running out of ammunition fast. Lay was the first to finish off his last bullet, “I’m out!”

            He threw the gun to the side. Their efforts to kill off the sirens seemed to be to no avail as more and more sirens came to the ship just as fierce as before. From afar, Lay and the others could see the other ships be brought down within seconds. Men jumped overboard in the hope of saving themselves only to meet death in the infested waters as they were dragged down or stabbed on the spot. Fearing for the same fate, their desperation to stay alive heightened tenfold and they hoped for anything at this point.

            Lay looked around the ship for anything that could be used as a weapon. With nothing on the top deck, he raced down below passing his fellow members to their store room where he found crates and crates of flares and dynamite. Mentally cheering, he grabbed two of the crates and snagged a box of matches from a nearby table before heading back up to the deck.

            “Chanyeol help me!” Lay opened up the crate handing a couple flares to the younger sailor, “Hold them while I light them and then throw them overboard.”

            With two lit, Chanyeol threw them down below at the approaching sea creatures and watched as they exploded killing off the near threat. Seeing this as a success, the other ships began doing the same thing sending in flares and other fireworks into the ocean causing large explosions that either scared or killed the sirens attacking them.

*~*~*~*

            Talya gathered her son and the two mermaids together to set the game plan, “Taura you and I are going to hunt down the source of this, Ran you and Sehun are going to do your best to help out here. Lead the others.”

            Ran and Taura nodded, already having experience in this type of warfare. Scared, they held hands and exchanged glances. Sehun on the other hand, had no idea what he was supposed to do. He never had to fight in a situation like this, and he could already see himself dying. Shaking, he grasped his mother’s shoulder, “I-I can’t do this. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do. What if I can’t help? I don’t have any special powers or strengths—“

            Talya sighed, she knew this fact already and feared for her son just as much as he feared for himself. She the boy’s cheek with a sad smile, “We have to try.”

            Sehun shut his eyes feeling the burning sensation of fresh tears form in his eyes. He nodded, though, and called for Ran, “Come on, let’s go.”

            The two girls reluctantly let go of the other hand with one last exchan

Please log in to read the full chapter