28

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

           The calm waters showed no signs of the storm that raged on a few days prior. The sun was just rising and people stil restedl in their beds not ready to make their morning commute. Kyungsoo stepped out of the front door of his house and made his way to the docks. Entering into the city, men traveled to and fro buying supplies for the morning catch while women busied themselves cleaning up their shops, streets, and homes. He set his eyes forwards occasionally adjusting his grip on the bucket in his hands filled with bait. With rope wrapped around his shoulder he had nets slung over the other and a cluster of fishing poles in his free hand. The rest, left back home. There was no one else to help him.

            He slowed his pace before completely stopping dead on the sidewalk, taking a quick glance behind him hoping to see someone he knew wasn’t there. The bucket in his hand grew heavier, he grunted softly before trudging on. By the time he reached the docks, only a few fishermen worked by their boats. Kyungsoo lagged behind in absolutely no rush.

            His little boat located in the same place as always, he threw down his stuff before hopping in. Instinctively turning to the docks once more to help a nonexistent girl into the boat, Kyungsoo could feel his heart wrench upon the realization that Taura was gone. The person that made all his worries disappear regardless of her being the number one thing he worried about all the time.

            While in thought, he mindlessly readied the boat like a machine. The sound of the motor turning on breaking his thoughts, he looked out to the coast and sailed out in the same direction to where he and Taura used to go.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

            By the time Kyungsoo decided to return, it was mid afternoon and the sun was beating down on him hard. He pulled in the final net, his catch not as bountiful as it used to be. Wiping

Please log in to read the full chapter