23

Sea Souls: Mermaid's Tears
Please log in to read the full chapter

            Taura ran with all her might to the wailing man as the waves continued to crash against him. His clothes torn and completely soaked, the man’s eyes were wide with terror as they stared off far beyond the girl in front of him. She pulled him carefully away from the waves while trying to avoid them herself. The man continued to scream with all his might right into Taura’s ears. He was young, around Tao’s age perhaps from what Taura estimated seeing his smooth but scarred skin and lean build. He was bleeding in places and had cuts on his arm and cheeks. The mermaid looked around them continuously hoping someone would come, realizing her absence. Unfortunately there was no one.

            “They’re coming. They’re coming.” The young sailor gripped Taura’s arm tightly as his body shook. The girl the man’s face hoping to calm him when she cupped both sides of his face and stared straight into his eyes. Soon enough, the man’s heavy pants became steady breaths while his grip on Taura’s arm lessened. The man completely taken by Taura’s beauty, slowly leaned into her. Thinking he was to kiss her, Taura moved her head away only for his head to land on her shoulder. He had passed out.

            I guess I have to carry him back. Taura sighed and got to her knees, placing her hands under the boy’s calves and around his back. She lifted him quite easily, but the matter of using her feet to get them both on the other side of the island was another story. Her arms were strong but her legs were weak. I hope someone comes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

            Kyungsoo walked slower than the rest of his group. He was trying to piece together the events that’d been happening. It felt like nothing was coming together but he had all the pieces or at least most of them. There were things missing, he just hoped he could figure out what. He bit his lip, lost in his own world not realizing that the rest of his group were far off in front of him. He looked to either side of him, hoping to find Taura.

            “Taura?” Kyungsoo turned around to hurry Taura along but found no one. He looked to his left, right, and just in front of him hoping she’d walk ahead of him without him noticing. Unfortunately, he did not see her long black hair anywhere.

            “Taura! Taura!” Kyungsoo yelled while spinning in circles hoping she’d come to view. The sun was boring down onto the white side, making it hard for him to see. He shielded his eyes and continued his search. Thinking he could call for help from the guys he turned to get them, but saw they were far out of reach. She must have continued looking, without us noticing. Kyungsoo cursed as he ran towards the direction they had just come from. Kicking up sand as he went while the sun beat down on his white face, his mind started form unsettling scenarios of what could have happened to the girl. Drowning, lost, taken, fainted… The small build guy pushed himself harder, not wanting any of those things to happen.

            A few meters away from where Kyungsoo was, Taura started to feel the effects of carrying a man almost a third of her size. Her knees buckled and soon enough she tumbled forward into the sand dropping the boy in her arms as well. The heat and his weight had taken their toll on Taura who was already sweating bullets. She had to keep moving, or else it would just get worse. She crawled over to the boy who was slowly beginning to wake up and brushed his hair back. He really is young, now that I look at him.

            “Taura! Taura!”

            The mermaid’s head shot up at the sound her name when she saw Kyungsoo coming towards her. She excitedly waved her hands as she continuously glanced down at the boy in front of her who was in and out of consciousness. She gripped his hand in affirmation, hoping he’d stay awake.

             Kyungsoo! Kyungsoo! My Kyungsoo!

*~*~*~*~*

            Taura had fallen as

Please log in to read the full chapter