Chapter 1

Fall Romances

It was end of September. The trees were becoming yellow and orange. I loved it. It looked beautiful outside and it wasn’t too cold, just fresh. Wearing blue jeans, black boots and my black autumn jacket I stomped my way back home from school when someone whose voice was easy for me to recognize yelled “Molly! Molly wait”

It was Michelle, my older sister. We were pretty close; she was three years older than me, me being born in April 14th 1992 and her 2nd March 1989. I was 16 and she was 19. I remember her doing my hair and stuff like that when I was just a kid. I always looked up to her and I guess now that we were teens it wasn’t that easy for me to be in her shadow. I liked her but I was sad because she got so much attention from guys and she seemed perfect to me while I saw all these stupid flaws in myself.

“Michi, are you coming home?” I asked her.
She smiled with her white teeth showing. “Actually not”, she laughed a bit. “I’m gonna meet up with Cheryl. Would you like to join us? I think we’re gonna go check the books for an exam in the library and then hit to a café or something like that.”

We were walking side by side and I looked over my shoulder and then at the ground. “Well… why not?” I looked at her smiling. I appreciated the fact that she always wanted me to be a part of her everyday life. Without my sister’s kindness I would’ve just stayed home, feeling sorry for myself. Even though I felt sad with her when I felt she was better than me in every way she still managed to cheer me up. We were sisters and best friends. Actually I had no other friends of my own, all my so called friends were really her friends. Going out with them I usually felt they were somehow forced to be with me and again I felt sorry for myself, because I thought people didn’t like me.

We were supposed to meet Cheryl in front of the library. Walking there I was glancing Michi. She was beautiful as always. She had curled her dark brown hair so it looked real nice and she was wearing purple eye make-up that really drew people’s looks to her pretty face. She had a nice lady-fit denim jacket, white ruffle skirt, leggings and a pair of very neat brown boots. Looking at her way I suddenly noticed a guy passing us by. Among all these people crossing the street in traffic lights I noticed him. Something about him made me feel strange shivers down my back. He was cute!

 

Cheryl waited for us, I mean, Michi, at the library front door. “Hi!” she said and I’m sure I heard a slightly disappointed “oh, Molly is here” in her voice. We said hi and the three of us went inside the library.

While they were searching for the books for their exam I scrolled down for some manga books wishing to find something new and interesting. I didn’t really succeed since I had already read every manga comic in our library even thought it was a big one. I sighed and kept walking. It had been a long time since I visited the library and I took a good look at the shelves and concentrated on the backs of the books while walking ahead. I didn’t look where I was going since I was concentrated on checking the shelves and that’s when I bumped into somebody!

“Ah, sorry!” said a friendly male voice. I had automatically shut my eyes and I opened them but first I only looked at the floor. I had my hands up in the air for having a panic reaction; I guess I looked as if I wanted to defend myself. Feeling stupid I let my arms down and raised my eyes to look at him.

 

I fell in love immediately.

He had huge deep brown eyes, blonde wavy hair and a sweet smile that said “I’m an angel come from Heaven and I can make all your wishes come true, so what’s it gonna be?” I know it’s a lot of thoughts for the three seconds I stood there gasping but I really did think all of that.

“Uhm, it’s okay… really… I’m fine. Umm, it was actually my fault, I wasn’t looking where I was going and…”

He laughed. “Oh bull, it was me, I was on your way obviously.”

What kind of a thing was that to say in that situation? I wanted to tell him I was happy he got on my way and at the same time I wanted to ask him what he meant by that. I didn’t say either of those things. I just looked down with a shy smile on my lips and didn’t know what to do. It was the weirdest situation. It was like a dream come true, like a movie scene where boy and girl meet and it was also so awkward I wanted to run away.

“Well, take care”, he cracked a smile again, and then he continued walking.

‘Excuse me mister?’ I watched his back as he walked out of the library. He had walked away from me. Just like that! Nothing happened. Only that I fell in love with him and he was gone. I could only think about his brown eyes that sparkled and twinkled and…

“Molly! Molly we’re leaving for the café!” Michi whispered loudly from the corridor.

“Uh yeah…” I said shaking my head with my eyes closed. I opened my eyes and checked the front door. ‘Was it just a dream?’ It felt like it. “I’m coming.”