Finale.

Can You Smile?

OC's Pov

I walked out of my door, and I see him on the opposite lane, on his doorstep, smiling at me. I didn't have the mood to smile back, so I gave a small nod to acknowledge it instead. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw his eyes fall shut, letting out a solemn sigh.

I knew he went to the same school as me. I knew who he was, which class he was in, which club he was under. Almost everything about him. I got to learn that he was in the same situation as me, yet me never really communicated, his smile was the only form of knowing. Something between us. Knowing of each other's existence yet act like we don't. 

I walked through the gate. Him following after. We even have the same classes. We had our own group of friends. Not really 'connected'. You'd ask me how my friends thought about this guy, Kim Sunggyu, but they don't know about him. Yes, they don't. I'd prefer to keep him a secret. Something like a candle, something which only has a significance to the one who lighted it. In class, I'd unknowingly stare at him for hours, and he'd smile whenever he catches my eye, I just look away from him, caught red-headed. 

The way his eyes disappear when he smiles at me, it feels like it was mocking me. Yet in a friendly familiar way. It feels like something I've lost before. I let my thoughts wander away. No longer focused in the teacher's blabber. 

"I love you." his eyes, just the same, when he smiled, disappeared under his eyelids, mocking me about how I was shy about his every confession.

Now that I think of it, he resembled someone I could remember briefly now and then. But I couldn't really put a finger on who that one person is. It's like he never existed, like he was just someone I made up based on Sunggyu, because this someone started popping out in my head only after he appeared in my life, greeting me with his very same smile. Kim Sunggyu, who exactly are you? I turned away from my thoughts and focused on the lesson instead. Yet I found myself turning towards him everytime I could. Just what was happening to me now? 


It was the end of class, I turned to see him smiling at me again. I nodded once more, walking away towards the door out. I knew he was following me. It was a routine. We belonged to the same club. Making it strange how we never talk, or socialise with one another. Except the exchange of smiles from him and nods from me. 

I used to think he was a stalker or something, but there he was, always harmlessly following me around, not really around. But to and fro places we both haved to go. I'd leave after nodding and he'd follow after me...and...take pictures of me.


Sunggyu's POV

I watched as she reached her door, turning around and nodding at me. I whipped out my polaroid, snapping the 'photo of the day'. I watched as she shook her head and went in. I just smiled, the same way I used to smile at her. Looking at the freshly printed polaroid, I praised myself, I managed to catch a good 'reward' today. 

I walked into my own house and up the stairs. This was a house my parents had rented for me. My footsteps echoed in the gigantic hollow place. I knew she was going through the same thing. But she doesn't know. I'm still waiting. For it. For her. I pushed open to the door leading to my 'work area'. It was directly facing her bedroom window. I know. Because we've been communicating like we always did...after she moved away and forgot about me.

"Bravo! Just the masterpiece left." I smiled at the large black cardboard, the polaroids pasted on both the back and the front. I looked at the calender. Ah...time sure flies by fast. It's may already. Spring is ending. I believe, that's when I'm going to resume being Kim Sunggyu, her Kim Sunggyu. Tomorrow, will be the day we ended five years ago. Five years later, I want to start again. 


OC's POV

I saw him waiting outside with a large cardboard, which was probably larger than him in size, wrapped up. He smiled when he caught me looking. I didn't know if it was just me, or that he was smiling brighter today, brighter than any other day. I nodded, walking off.

He was smiling the entire day, in class, during lunch, even during our club activities. I caught him doodling on his notebook, smiling dorkily as he did so. He seemed so weird. Although he seemed to be smiling everyday, he seemed to be different from before, but I just can't put a finger to it. He went off earlier today, not waiting for me, he probably found me annoying for isolating him everytime and not communicating with him. Guess everyone has their limits.

I stood up after I finished packing and kicked onto something as I was making my way out. I picked it up, recognizing it as Sunggyu's. Taking a peek at his doodleventure wouldn't kill...right? I reassured myself that he'd never find out, and that it was just reading, no harm. flipping open the book, I found bits and bits of entries in every page. The marks left behind by torn pages were obvious. 

I remember that feeling from long ago when I looked at you.
I remember that time when I knew you, you knew me.
I think about those desperate times when I wanted to be like you, hang out with you,
but it's merely a memort that has passed by.
 
And, can you smile?
You want this,
You hope for this,
I can't seem to have you with only my heart.
 
And can you smile?
I said to leave,
I said I'm Okay.
It seems like I can give nothing but this to you in the end..
 
I remember long ago when I received your heart,
I think of those times when you were overflowing me and I was thankful.
We came across a farewell when we loved each other most, when we were at out happiest,
I couldn't hold you back beacuse you were overflowing me, beacause I was sorry.
 
And, can you smile?
You want this,
You hope for this,
I can't seem to have you with only my heart.
 
And can you smile?
I said to leave,
I said I'm Okay.
It seems like I can give nothing but this to you in the end..
 
And still, still in the end, still I...
but probably in the end, I still...
And still, still, in the end, still I...
But in the end, I still...
 
But I was suffocating from those frequent words of yours,
You say with rage that my way of talking and actions make you lose your words, that they make your anger rise.
On this violent night, the stars light up the sky, the moon shines, and you go steadily down your path.
Stars and the night are coming, they're covered only by other stars.
The moon always stays there,
I will always be here for you, want you.
After the end of the last entry was a blank page. I didn't know why, I could imagine the plot of this song, and before I knew it, I cried. Somewhere in my lost memory I remember, a smiling idiot. Kim Sunggyu. Just who are you? Who were you to me? I stood there, staring at the empty last page, what was supposed to be here? At the very start was a date, 28th May. I plummeted my fist onto his desk. It was part of my selective deleted memory. No one wanted to help me remember. They said it was because it was better for me not to know. But now. I know, although I agreed with them. Somewhere in me, was calling out, for my memory to come back. I wanted to remember.
 
"Hey, you might want to leave? I'm about to lock the door." our class chairman, Nam Woohyun, said cooly at the door. I nodded and walked off, solemn. I fastened my pace, maybe Sunggyu could help me remember. Maybe he was in that memory of mine.
 
"He wouldn't want to see you cry," someone from the class next door, I remember seeing him with Sunggyu, who was it? That guy with the full lips. Ah. Jang DongWoo. "Wipe your face dry, don't let him know you cried, on this occasion he waited so long for." I took the tissue he offered and dried my face, nodding in gratitude. 
 
I got out of the school gate, along the same road I was familiar with, without him. I began to feel insecure, it's like losing a bodyguard.
 
"We may not look strong, but we'll try to give you some security." two guys with baby faces greeted as they walked behind me, like Sunggyu used to do. "Don't worry, we're GRANDPA's friends." 
 
I nodded at the mention of Sunggyu's name and sped on, with them behind me. Sungyeol and Sungjong. 
 
"Journey ends here." Hoya, one of the most outstanding dancers announced as he leaned casually against the wall on my right, dismissing the two boys.
 
He lead me through shortcuts I never knew existed swiftly. And for the not that good of a limb mover two left foot me? Stumbling behind him. 
 
"And, can you smile?" The man Hoya proudly entitled "flowerboy L" asked as he propelled me towards the street a few minutes walk away from my house. 
 
I nodded, although I didn't smile. I dashed down the street to be welcomed by Sunggyu. I felt tears gushing down once again. I'm a fool. To forget him. To forget everything. To forget his words. 
 
He stood there, beaming like he always did. This time holding the cardboard at his doorstep earlier. Polaroids of me forming "Can U Smile?" And I did. I smiled. He took a picture of me smiling and flipped the cardboard around, sticking the freshly printed polaroid flat in the middle of the heart made from polaroids.
 
"You smiled," he beamed proudly, "does that mean you remember?"  I simply nodded.

A/N: Soooo. Comment on your thoughts of my venture away from 21Bang stories. I might write a followup to explain what happened before this. But you guys have to comment first :p Bye~