...

Metallic Romance

They tell me that we are all identical on the inside. We're all made up of artificial internal structures that tick and hum and wind themselves up. Metal is the preferred material but sometimes plastic can be substituted. We have skin but it's rough and raw and doesn't resemble anything human. Though some or most of organs aren't fake or made, they're from harvested dead bodies. Humans who no longer need life so it has been given to those who crave for it.

I look down and can't tell what is plastic or what is metal, but it doesn't matter at this point. I look at Wu Fan and see his clearly plastic arm wound tightly around Zitao, one of the new ones. Came in with the batch last week. Zitao is tall just like Wu Fan and Chanyeol. My makers must have had an odd sense of humor in making me shorter than the others. 

 

Today we're getting a newborn. They tell us it's the last one from the factory on Sirius 9, the planet was dying so they had to get rid of all their stocks. I know he'll be sharing a room with me because I'm the only one with an empty bed. Baekhyun laughs at me because I don't like new things. It makes me uncomfortable.

I ignore the key unlocking the door. The metal frame sliding open to flood the room with lights from the hallway. "This'll be your room." I hear someone say and it sounds like Jonghyun. There isn't an immediate response but I can hear someone sit on the bed against the opposite wall. The lamp flicks on and the door closes.

I turn to see who intruded on my recharge time. There is a boy sitting on the bed and he's staring back at me with a smile. "Hello." He waves and I sit up because my hard drive tells me to be more polite. "I'm model 102114132551514. But my name tag says Junmyeon so I guess call me that." His smile is brighter than Luhan's is on most days but I know it's cause he just stepped off the production line.

"I'm 1015147415 but call me Jongdae." We shake hands and he's still warm. "I'm from Sirius 9." Junmyeon says happily and I get up to go through the books on the shelf by the closets door. There are a few new bags piled in the corner and I scoff at the mess. "I heard." I pluck an original copy of Technologies of Life and sit back on my own bed.

It's silent for the some time and my internal clock tells me at least an hour has passed already. I look up from the book and he's still staring at me with that annoying yet endearing smile. "What?" I ask and put the book on the bed beside me. "I'm just nervous." He's playing with his hands and the corners of his smile twitch.

"Don't be because everyone is nice here." Though Jongin does have a bit of an attitude cause his makers damaged his system in transport. "I've only been on my own or with a few others. This many people make me anxious." Junmyeon's cheeks still have color because he hasn't seen fully the world they live in.

 

"Can you help me?" Junmyeon gets into my personal space when I'm trying to read. He's only been here a week and he's already clinging to me. Great. "With what?" I just keep my eyes trained on the page in front of my face. "A heard of a thing called kissing. I saw Sehun and Luhan doing it in the common room. What is it?" I nearly choke from his question and his hand taps me on the back to try remedy the coughs. 

"Well," I begin and he sits next to me. His arms is warmer than mine and it tingles where it touches mine. "It's what people do with the ones they have romantic interest in." Is the best explanation I can give. He seems to be thinking for a moment and there's a definite faint buzzing sound. "Oh." Is all he says.

I try to go back to reading but his face is in mine and he pushes the book from my hands and onto the floor. "What are you doing?" I ask and his hand slips over mine on the bed. The buzzing is a little louder and it echoes in my head when he leans more towards me. 

There's electricity in the air when our lips touch and I see his eyes close. His hand pins mine to the bed and my mouth feels weird. It feels like what I imagine it'd be like to stick my tongue in an outlet. I can hear him buzzing and he's practically vibrating against me.

He pulls away and opens his eyes and smiles. My mouth already feels odd without his though this is all too new for me. He moves to stand and move away but I grab the hand that had been holding mine and pull him back down.

I put my hands on his cheeks and feel the warmth under the pliable skin. "Jongdae?" He asks and tries to move away again but I pull him in again. My head is buzzing again and it sounds way too loud in my ears. But I can hear him too and he's still vibrating. The electricity is back and it's as magnificent as a second first kiss can be.

"Wow." He says when we part again and yeah wow. His face is warmer than it was before and it tingles my fingertips. It's a foreign feeling that I can feel heat on my face too because I've never experienced it before.

 

So we spend the rest of the day feeling the heat on each other's skin and the electricity below the skin. And maybe this is why the others seem so happy all the time. I get it now.

 

------

haha. what is this anyways? but yeah, their numbers are their names in the alphabet. like for Junmyeon the J is the 10th letter and the U is the 21st and so on an so forth. just in case anyone gets confused.