Withered Hands

Perspective

I don't know how to classify this kind of fic to yet. 
So, help me determine?
Meanwhile, enjoy :)

===

They walked along the street hand in hand. Sunny would sometimes swing their hands as happy recollections comes in and out her mind. The couple would occasionally converse when something interesting on the street caught their attention. However, they mostly walked in silence, enjoying their shared little happiness when they were able to spend some time together.

It was just another weekend for them, but the weather was nice, so they decided to take a stroll around the city. The couple chose to leave their cars at home since it was a symbol of their rushed daily routines which they wanted to leave behind at the moment.

They entered a small diner to get their lunch. The auntie who worked there greeted them and catered for them. After they set on their seats, the lady took their order and served the side dishes before returning to her station near the serving window, waiting for the food be cooked.

Sunny glanced around. There were not many customers at that time. However, it was never a big nor well-known diner even from years ago in their college days. But the business went okay, so the small diner was still there.

"You remember the time Kyungsoo asked Hyojoo out? It was here right, Oppa?" Sunny said, asking his confirmation on the event. Her eyes twinkled as the memory kicked in.

"Yup. And they are now a married couple with a son," Sungmin answered, gave her a slight smile.

"Yes, a happy one too," she added. "I met them when I did grocery shopping. Their son, Iryoung is so cute, Oppa. Oh, and I also met Hani when I was out for lunch break yesterday. She's five months old pregnant now."

"Seems that our friends all hitched up already," Sungmin simply stated.

"On your year, yep. Those on my year are not all hitched up," said Sunny lightly.

They stopped talking since the auntie from before came back with a large tray, filled with rappoki, black bean noodle and sweet and sour chicken. Once the food was served, they lift their chopsticks and began to eat. Their conversation was forgotten due to them exchanging food and them basically talking about the food they ordered and getting all nostalgic about it.

After they finished eating, they exited the diner to go around the market. It was a while for them to walk around such environment. With their individual routines which involved frequently going for business trips around the country and abroad, they had even minimum time to see each other lately. So for over that year, they mostly saw each other through video chatting application.

As the couple walked past the stores selling fashion items, they decided to be all teenagers again and get themselves some sets of couple items, such as green on white caps, woven leather bracelets, hoodies, and graphic printed tees.

They were standing in front of an ice cream vendor to get their favorite frozen treats as Sungmin asked a question, "What's on your mind when you think about our married friends?"

Sunny was slightly taken aback by the unexpected nature of the question. So instead giving him the answer, she asked him back, "Why did you ask?"

She took both coned ice creams from the vendor's hand while Sungmin took out his wallet to pay. The couple left the ice cream stall to find the nearest bench where they could rest their sore legs, thanks to all the walking that day.

It was already afternoon so the sun was not that fierce anymore. The comforting breeze blew by, soothing their damp bodies from the exercise, and rustling the yellow fallen leaves on the ground in the process, .

"So, why did you ask, Oppa?" asked Sunny. She handed his ice cream whilst the ice cream which dripped to her ice cream cone.

"I'm just curious," said Sungmin.

"About?"

"Hm... Let's say, would you ever want the same?" asked Sungmin carefully.

"The same? Marriage, you mean?" asked Sunny, confused.

Sungmin nodded his head, he took a big bite of the ice cream. Soon after, his face was contorted from the sensation. He spun his head around in slow motion as a way to help reduce the uneasiness.

"Brain freeze," Sungmin blurted out. His whole body shuddered. He roughly scratch his head with his free hand to ease the tingle, although in vain.

Sunny laughed uncontrollably, "Silly oppa." She motioned her hand up and down his back, trying to help soothe him.

After a while the brain freeze subsided. He took Sunny's hand from behind his back, brought it to the front and hold it against his thigh.

"So?" He asked, sounded like nothing had happened a few minutes before.

"Huh?" She lost it at first, but her mind quickly reconnect with the previous question. "I want it, but not now. Not any time soon too anyway. Wait. I think we had discussed about it before?"

"I just want a re-affirmation," Sungmin said. "Who knows if you regret it." He let go if her hand and playfully pushing her shoulder with his.

"Well well, what is there to regret? Having you farting in front of me 24/7? No, thank you," Sunny joked back. She grinned ear to ear before reverting to her serious self, "Beside, I don't think we're ready yet? I am not, I think. Marriage is a lifetime commitment, and I think, before a couple say I do, they have to have this three conditions."

"And that is?"

"Financially prepared, mentally prepared, and emotionally prepared. I know we are financially and emotionally prepared, but I don't think I'm mentally prepared. Besides, with our current responsibilities and working schedule as is, moving around, going overseas... I don't think it is wise enough to settle down yet," explained Sunny.

Sungmin let her words seeped in before he said, "You're right. I don't think I am willing to leave my wife too often. What if she has eyes for another man?"

"Yah! You mean you don't trust me?" She playfully slapped his toned upper arm, pretending to sulk. Sungmin giggled.

"Nah, not that I don't trust you, but you are too pretty, too cute, too adorable, that I know men will try to woo you if I'm not around." He gave her eye smile while flicking Sunny's nose lightly. His eyes twinkled in mischief.

Sunny snorted. She shook her head. The petite girl could never understand flattery. Jokes or not.

"Let's get going, Oppa," she patted his thigh, "I want to look for another nice backpack. Think it's time for me to really put comfort over pretty."

She opened her tiny backpack to get a sheet of wet tissue. Then, she wiped Sungmin's hand clean for the sticky dripping of ice cream, and she wiped her own afterwards.

They continue to strode along an alley in which branded stores were aligned. Just after they checked two stores, Sungmin nudged Sunny on her shoulder.

"See them," he whispered, motioning his head to an old couple walking at their direction.

Sunny immediately sighed and let out a timid yet long 'awww'. The old couple were walking side by side, harmoniously chatting. Their entwined wrinkled hands spoke more than what was ordinary gesture. Even the passersby could feel the warmth, their trust to each other, the friendship, their unfading love.

After the old couple walked past them, Sungmin took hold of Sunny's hand. He pledged sincerely, "Although we won't likely start any sooner, I know I want to end up like that with you later. I want to grow old with you."

Sungmin tilted his head downwards, meeting Sunny's eyes who stopped in her track after hearing what he said. He looked to find that she was wearing the same smile on her face as he was.

Without saying a word, Sunny sneaked her arms around Sungmin's waist, side-hugging him and let the action spoke louder. They stayed like that for a while.

When they started walking again, still in the same state, she said, "Yep. We surely can grow grey hair and go wrinkled together, Oppa. We can even drool on each other once we lost our teeth later. I can promise you that."

Sungmin put his one arm around her shoulder. "Thank you, Bunny. Although I hope to hear less gross and more sophisticated description of growing old."

Sungmin grimaced while Sunny let out her crispy laugh. They went in some more stores before getting the backpack she desired, and went home. 

===

Comment? Suggestion? Constructive criticism? :)