Flashback

Nothing's Over

                “This is emergency! Clear the way! Clear the way!”

                There were unfamiliar noises everywhere; voices of concerned adults, cries of babies, sound of wheelchairs and opening doors, quick footsteps and catching breaths.

                Kim Sungkyu tried to open his eyes but the lights prevented him from doing it. His back, neck, thighs, feet, knees, arms and head were in severe pain. He felt like his face got deformed and the maltreatment of the big guys was still fresh inside his mind. The pain is tolerable for him but the time he witnessed the disappearance of Suzy is the most painful of all.

                Suzy’s gone. Let me die now. he thought and tears fell from his closed eyes.

                The nurses who were sending him to emergency room continued to walk quickly and shout “Give way!”

                “Suzy…” he spoke, weakly.

                “The patient’s awake. Quick!” a female nurse said.

                “Place him here. The doctor’s coming.” another one spoke.

                Then later, Sungkyu’s senses shut down. He couldn’t hear, feel anything nor smell everything. He was scared because it was so dark when he opened his eyes.

                Help, he said but he couldn’t hear his voice, too. He knew that he’s not lying on the cushion anymore but he’s already standing.

                “Sungkyu,”

                Someone’s voice echoed in the whole pitch black room. Sungkyu couldn’t see who called him.

                “Sungkyu!”

                “Who’s there? Who are you?” he asked. Then, there’s a light. He found himself standing beside the main street of Jongno and he’s wearing a high-school uniform with his backpack clinging onto his shoulder. It was twilight and there’s no snow. Everywhere is dry and but the climate was cold-the typical climate of Seoul.

                “Kim Sungkyu!”

                Sungkyu looked behind him immediately and saw a high school girl of his age running towards him and waving a hand. But the weird part is the girl’s face is blurred. Sungkyu didn’t know who she is.

The girl stopped in front of him and gasped because she got tired from running to Sungkyu.

                “Didn’t you hear me?” she asked, still catching her breath. “Aigoo… I told you to wait for me but you didn’t. You always do that to me, Sungkyu. Anyway, let’s go to your house and study.” she said, and grabbed Sungkyu’s hand.

                “Wa…wait. Who are you?”

                The girl vanished from his sight and the place changed so fast.

                A volleyball hit Sungkyu’s head so bad that he fell on the soccer field’s ground and felt dizzy.

                He looked everywhere and bunch of teenagers who were wearing the same uniforms as he’s wearing were making fun of him.

                “Paboya! Paboya! Paboya!”

                They all shouted and in unison and started hitting Sungkyu with balls.

                “You don’t deserve to study in this school. You don’t know anything. Pabo!” a male student insulted.

                Sungkyu had no idea of what’s happening around him. He just protected his face from the balls.

                Who are these people? He asked.

                “STOP IT! STOP IT!!!” Someone from afar shouted, and the noise died down, as well as the balls.

                “Oh no, she’s the president of the student council. We’re all dead if she reported us to principal. Let’s go!” the girl standing on Sungkyu’s left said, worriedly.

                “Quick! Run!” another student shouted and they all ran away.

                Sungkyu uncoveredhis face and looked around. He was in the middle of very familiar soccer field.

                Jongno High!  he told himself.

                It was his school before he went to college and he knew that those students who bullied him were his classmates who didn’t graduate because of their bad records in school.

                Why am I here again? he suddenly asked.

                “Kim Sungkyu!”

                The voice he heard before was there again. And it’s the lady who has a blurred face who saved him from the bullies. She ran and knelt beside Sungkyu.

                Sungkyu couldn’t remember who that lady was no matter how hard he tried. She remained the missing puzzle piece for Sungkyu’s memories.

                “Are you alright?” she asked, as she fixed Sungkyu’s messy hair. “I memorized their faces already. Don’t worry they will have the worst records in this school and I won’t let them graduate from this institution.” she promised. Her voice was serious like she was the one who got bullied. “Let’s go. I will take you to the clinic and buy you lunch.”

                Sungkyu stood up with the help of the unknown girl.

                “Thanks. But, who are you?”

                Sadly, the girl vanished again.

                “WAIT! Don’t go!” he pleased, but it was useless.

                The scene changed so fast and Sungkyu found himself sitting alone in the dining area. He knows that he was inside his house because he familiarized the kitchen. No lights were on that’s why it’s dark.

                “Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday…happy birthday… happy birthday to you~”

                Someone suddenly sang in the middle of silence and darkness. Sungkyu saw a small light coming from the sala.

                A strong thought attacked him.

                I know this day! I really know this day! He said, and he quickly stood up to wait for the person to show up.

                It’s my birthday. I know what’s going to happen here. I think I know who that person is. he continued.

                “Happy, happy birthday, my dearest Kim Sungkyu!” she ended the song and the lady with blurred face appeared.

                She’s carrying a square-shaped chocolate cake with music notes and candles above it. A message was also written on the cake: “Happy birthday to the shining star, Kim Sungkyu.”

                I know who you are. I know who you are. Sungkyu closed his eyes to remember the lady but all he could feel is headache. But, he knows that the lady plays important role to his life. I know you’re a family to me. I know who you are. But, I couldn’t see your name!

                “Don’t cry, Sungkyu,” she said even though Sungkyu’s not crying. “Sit down and let’s celebrate this special day.” She patted Sungkyu on the back and they both sat next to each other.

                “I want to see your face,” he begged, but the lady seemed like she didn’t hear him.

                “Blow the candles after you made a wish, brainless guy,”

                BRAINLESS GUY?!!” Sungkyu shouted and didn’t get off his eyes from the lady.

                “Go on. Blow the candles and stop from crying. I’m sure that your parents are happy watching you celebrate your birthday. They’re happy while watching us from above.” she continued.

                “SUZY!” Sungkyu shouted once again.

                “Yes?” the girl with blurred face looked at his face. And suddenly, her face got clearer slowly until the young and beautiful face of Suzy showed up.

                “I remember everything!” Sungkyu exclaimed.

                He was about to give a big hug to Suzy when the lady vanished again from his sight.

 

END OF CHAPTER SIXTEEN.

Hi guys. I'm really, really sorry for keeping you waiting. School starts that's why I only have little time to update here. But, I promise to finish this story with satisfying ending. So, more patience, my dear readers. Thank you soooooo much for reading my story! FIGHTING!