Prologue

Pure Blue: A Man From The Past

Since he was a little boy, Sehun believed that something was there in between relationship; between fathers and sons, wives and husbands, neighbors, maids and masters, pets and keepers, even cops and robbers. But it’s not as simple as love and hate; it’s a thing. They bounded one to each other by a thing they couldn’t see. They knew it, but unable to admit it. So people would like to visualize that thing into an object their’s logical brain would gladly accept.  

 

A thread.

 

For a good time people had been saying it was a thread. A red thread of fate which encircled on every people’s ring finger, connecting one heart to another. Sometimes it could be entangled but it remained there, waiting for its owner to make it loose again. And for a good time people let themselves to believe it, but was it true? Up until now, the question of whether it’s true or not had been still remaining in Sehun’s mind.

 

“It’s not a thread.” Out of the blue, Sehun blurted out.

 

“I’m sorry, what?” Kai turned to his friend, stopping his pen from anything he was writing right now. It’s lunch time already yet Sehun and Kai preferred to spend all of their time in the class as the whiteboard before their eyes was full with biochemistry formula, waiting to be noted—and to make a note was what Kai was good at.

 

“I said it’s not a thread, Kai. You agree with me this time, don’t you?” He repeated, emphasizing the word 'thread', only to be followed by a muttering of ‘Oh God, we’re not talking about this again’ and a sound of closing book. Sehun could see the tan skin boy sitting next to him took off his glasses.  

 

“Sehun—my dear friend, for how many times I have to convince you that a red thread of fate has—” Kai said calmly before pausing for some air, “—it has been generally accepted as an object for connecting two lovers. It’s has been written in Chinese literature even thousand years before we’re born. Now what in the world makes you want to change a common opinion, huh? So stop arguing this topic with me, and let me finish writing down this note in peace, okay? Please and thank you.” Kai finished it with a mocking smile. “—and don’t forget to return that book back to the library.” He added, pointing at the book on Sehun’s lap.

 

The Ancient Tales; the title said printing in gold. It’s what Sehun had been reading for the past two days instead of thinking about their biochemistry papers. Luckily, he had Kai as his partner. Sehun’s thin lips tugged into a wry smile as he stared at the book's title.

 

“It couldn’t be a thread.”

 

“Whatever.” Kai mumbled, putting his glasses on and continued his writing.