one shot

Unexpected things

 

 

 

Life runs smoothly for Jongin…well most of the time, when he doesn’t trip on the subway to either fall upon a big guy that almost kicks his in response or knock his head on a poll. And yes it does and did happen and more often than it should. But other than his haphazard misfortunes and fights with the milk carton or how he has no idea why his sink clogs all the time...his life goes about pretty well.

His major is going fine, he gets the grades he wants, he has his own apartment, – almost because Sehun made sure to invade that but we’ll get to him later – his parents don’t bother him and help him around with money if he needs, thank god, and those damn cook books Luhan lent him are actually useful because Kim Jongin can do a pretty good chicken casserole now. Overall things are good.

And then there’s Sehun. And Sehun is the reason why he’s stupidly looking, mouth agape, in front of him the moment he gets home and hears little owh’s.

“What the actual ?”

“Shh…keep quiet.”

“Why is that in my house?”

Sehun shoots him a disdained look.

That has feelings okay?” He says. “And before you freak out on me he’s not mine.” Not that Sehun needs to clarify that because he knows Jongin knows it's impossible to be Sehun's.

“Which brings to my previous question again, why is it here?”

“He, Jongin…he. It’s a person.”

The person Sehun is talking about and so protectively trying to soothe is, as Jongin comes close to take a better look, an eight pound baby with half lidded eyes and a pout. But Jongin doesn’t fall for pouts so he’s not amazed. That is until the little thing yawns and Jongin almost urges a driveled aww out but stops it in time and straightens his back for the sake of defending his manliness. The thing, as he likes to put it, won’t, for the life of him, catch him off guard.

“Explain.”

“He’s Chanyeol’s.” Sehun says.

Jongin almost spits and chokes on air, almost, it ends up just looking like a weird grimace.

“What do you mean Chanyeol?”

“He’s Chanyeol’s kid.” Sehun states yet again, looking at him seriously, and Jongin quirks an eyebrow because Sehun can’t possibly be serious.

“Chanyeol? As in the same guy that goes against glass doors and chokes on chocolate chip cookie crumbles? That Chanyeol? From high school?”

“How many Chanyeol’s do you know?” Sehun asks annoyed.

“How did he do that?” Jongin waves aimlessly at the baby.

“With his .” Sehun answers dryly and starts to move and softly rock the baby up and down. He’s strangely good at it.

“But…but…wait, so if he’s Chan’s kid then why is he here?”

“Chanyeol left him with me.”

“With you? Of all people?”

Sehun glares at him from over his shoulder.

“Okay and when is he coming to pick him up?”

“Don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

“I don’t know Jongin. Chanyeol just left him at the door.”

“WHAT?” Jongin feels out of breath suddenly.

“Ssh.”

“What now? You’re his dad? Is Chanyeol even coming back? Oh my god…” Jongin sits on the couch. “You live with me you know…I can’t take care of that…I won’t!”

“Yeah…you’ll be my wife…” Sehun says teasingly.

“Don’t even joke about that Sehun!”

“God you’re loud. If he wakes up you’ll be the one rocking him to sleep.” The younger turns to face Jongin and goes near him. “My arms hurt.” He says and Jongin looks dumbly at him until he realizes what he’s asking.

“No. No, no….I won’t, I told you, I won’t!” He waves his hands in the air but Sehun is already bending to pass him the baby and he finds himself automatically extending his arms to hold the little child.

That shuts him up, much to Sehun’s relief. And Jongin feels all fuzzy and warm suddenly like the world is in his hands and nothing else mattered. The baby is so tiny and so fragile and incredibly cute that Jongin feels himself melting.

“Hey little dude…” Jongin says lovingly. Sehun sits next to him and presses against his side. “How did that giant idiot made something so cute?” Jongin asks cutely not particularly to Sehun or anything but then it hits him. “Who’s the mother?”

He looks at Sehun who looks back at him.

“I don’t know. I know as much as you.”

So okay Sehun isn’t his only problem, thank you Chanyeol, but it’s still a pain when it comes to live with him. Sehun is terribly high maintenance and Jongin has no time for his and creams, hair dyes and celery diets – the guy’s so skinny why the hell does he need to diet for – and Jongin has no clue how to deal with that properly, which leads to daily bickering. And now they have a baby. A baby. It’ll feel just like married life but with no perks at all. Greaaat.

 

 

Sehun was surprised, and saying a lot is an understatement, by the fact that Jongin is actually…soft. And that’s also an understatement. Jongin around the baby is like a mama bear, overly protective and overly sweet. And those two adjectives had never crossed Sehun’s mind to ever be used to describe Jongin. For someone who kept saying that didn’t want anything to do with the kid Jongin is acting like the baby is actually his. Except when it comes to diapers, that’s Sehun’s job. And Sehun only does it because Jongin almost passed out from the smell the first time and Sehun can't deal with that.

 

 

“Sehun!” Jongin calls from the living room. The younger was trying to get some sleep since the baby had decided to cry all night but that is obviously impossible.

“What?” He asks annoyed and with terrible bed hair once he reaches the living room.

“I think we’re out of diapers and he…oh god I’m going to puke.” He holds the baby at arm length and Sehun plunges to grab him before Jongin actually passes out.

“I think we should call Luhan.”

“Why?”

“Because we can’t leave him alone and bringing him shopping doesn’t sound like a smart idea and you can’t go shopping alone and if I’ll go like last time I’ll need help. Traveling on the subway with bags of diapers isn’t an experience I want to go through again.”

Jongin chuckles.

“Fine okay…and then what? You’ll go with Luhan?”

“And leave you here alone? No way.” Sehun starts to go to the bedroom to see if there are any diapers left. Fortunately there’s still one. Jongin follows him around with three feet of distance.

“I can take care of Jongin Junior just fine okay?”

Sehun stops suddenly and shoots him an incredulous look.

“Jongin Junior? Are you serious?”

“We don’t know his name so…”

“He’s not your kid Jongin.”

“Might as well be…” He shrugs a bit indignant and Sehun can only roll his eyes.

“I thought the last thing you wanted was to be a father.”

“Weeeeeell…” Jongin scratches the back of his head while watching Sehun changing “Jongin junior’s” diaper. “The kid is pretty cute…I think I might want one of those one day.”

Sehun snorts. One of those.

“Yeah…”

 

 

Sehun calls Luhan after putting the baby to sleep and the older sighs heavily on the other side as response to Sehun’s desperate cries of help.

“Why me?”

“Because you’re responsible and old-”

“Yah Sehun…you’re pulling the wrong string.”

“I was going to say older and that you’re very handsome and manly and the best friend in the whole wide world.” Sehun smiles charmingly even though Luhan can’t see it. It that buing buing doesn’t work over the phone.

“If all that weren’t true I would be suspicious.” Luhan says and Sehun is thankful that boasting still works on his hyung. “But you have to tell that story properly.”

“Thank you Lu…thank you thank you. Love you.” Sehun hangs up with a kissy sound and a sigh of relief.

“Wow…if kissing was a category you’d win an award.” Jongin speaks from the side catching Sehun by surprise.

“You’ll thank me later.” He says pointing the phone at Jongin’s face.

 

 

Sehun never went shopping with Jongin before and now he knows why. It’s insufferable.

“No.”

“But Sehun-”

“No. You’re not buying that…” Sehun resumes his way down the aisle ignoring Jongin’s puppy eyes and how adorable he looks.

“But it’d look so cute on him…like a little panda.” Jongin continues even though Sehun is already stepping away. He eventually gives up and puts the onesie back on the rack to follow the younger. “You’d make a horrible husband.”

“Me?” He stops to face Jongin. “I’d make a wonderful husband because all you do is laze around and eat crap and you don’t even clean your room and I’m not even talking about the kitchen! I don’t think you know the definition of a sponge or any of its amazing utilities. If it weren’t for me you’d live like a pig.

“You nag too much.”

“And since we’re at it my kid wouldn’t wander around town looking like a panda. Have some dignity.”

Jongin gasps offended.

“My kid would be the cutest baby ever.”

Sehun lets an exasperated sigh and notices a little woman looking at them funny so he turns back and heads straight to the diaper aisle without giving Jongin anymore words. At the end of the day everything just resumes to that, Sehun’s incessant complaining and Jongin’s unbothered replies to it.

 

 

Luhan is a life saver but unfortunately only a temporary life saver. So Sehun is back to diapers and crying and baby formula in no time. Literally no time because once he and Jongin get home Luhan hands them the baby with the promise of never more.

“Ugh…” Sehun sits on the couch with “Junior” in his arms and marvels on how quiet he is after what felt like hours of non-stopping crying. Jongin sits next to him just as tired stretching his legs and letting his arms fall languidly on the leather. “Go take out the trash.” Sehun says.

“What? I did that yesterday.”

“Yeah but the baby is sleeping so go.”

“Give me the baby and you go.”

“And risk waking him up? Hell no.”

“I’m too tired.”

“Jongin!” He scolds in a loud whisper.

“Too tired.” He lets his head fall on Sehun’s shoulder and pretends to be asleep as if it’d convince the younger of so. To his dismay though, Sehun doesn’t even have the strength to fight him.

They sort of all fall asleep there, Sehun letting himself fall against Jongin, until the baby decides it’s dinner time.

 

 

Sehun is on vacation, sort of...not really, but that doesn’t matter, so he’s home full time and takes care of the kid when Jongin is at college. Once the older gets home though it’s like seeing a dad coming back to his family and Sehun hates how he sort of actually likes that. How he likes how Jongin’s face lights up at the sight of the little baby, how Jongin snuggles him close the first chance he gets…how Jongin is just adorable and lovable lately. It’s weird and, in Sehun’s opinion, wrong in every possible way because this is Kim Jongin okay, but he can’t help but loving it. Even if in this picture this makes him the trophy wife, he’s actually fine with that.

 

 

It has been a week since Chanyeol had come by.

“Hey little dude…” Jongin says overly excited as he steals the baby from Sehun’s arms without even having discarded of his bag the minute he gets home from his morning classes.

“You can’t keep calling him little dude.”

“You won’t let me call him Jongin Junior.”

“Because he’s not your kid.”

“I can’t call him Chanyeol, that’s weird.”

“Just don’t call him anything.” Sehun is sort of afraid by now, that Jongin might be so attached to the baby that he would react badly once Chanyeol got back.

“He can’t stay without a name.” Jongin goes sit on the couch and with his free hand he starts to play around with the baby until he grabs one of his fingers with his little hands.

Sehun finds himself falling dumbly in love just at the view. Although he knows he shouldn’t because this isn’t real, this isn’t his life. He shakes the thoughts away.

“He can because he won’t stay for long. Leave that to Chanyeol to worry.”

“Chanyeol is an idiot isn’t he?” Jongin talks to the baby with an open smile and the baby is looking back at him with a wondering expression. “Your dad is an idiot because your dad doesn’t even know the treasure he helped create.”

The scene before Sehun’s eyes is so endearing that he can’t stop starring and probably with the dumbest smile on his lips.

 

 

Two weeks pass.

Spending time with each other and falling asleep pressed together closely, sharing this sort of strange bond over taking care of this little new addiction to their live was really inevitable. But falling love wasn’t and yet Sehun did.

 

 

It’s Saturday afternoon and Jongin is walking around the living room and singing some Michael Jackson tune to calm the baby and it’s surprisingly working much to Sehun's surprise. He’d be lying though if he said he was focusing on the sleeping baby rather than Jongin’s features. It seems like he had never taken the time to actually admire how gorgeous Jongin really is. Sehun always saw him as his friend, a good occasionally annoying friend and that was pretty much it but this…this situation changed the way Sehun looks at him. He wished it hadn’t because he’s afraid to let out his feelings since they’ve been friends since forever and doing something could ruin everything and Sehun treasures their friendship more than anything else. Jongin helped him when no one else did and even let him live with him when Sehun had nowhere to go.

So he almost wants to blame the aliens of controlling his body when he kissed Jongin square in the lips.

He pulls away hastily and something gets stuck on his throat when he wants to apologize or say something at all because Jongin’s eyes are wide and he looks mildly scared for a second there. But then the bell rings so Sehun uses that as his exit strategy and rushes to open the door.

It’s Chanyeol. Sehun gets momentarily disappointed.

“Hey…” The older male makes his way inside the apartment even though Sehun didn’t tell him he could and goes near Jongin pretty fast.

“Dude! What the ?” Jongin says.

“What?”

“You have a baby.”

“Uh yeah…” Chanyeol scratches the back of his head.

“What made you think it was okay to leave him here?”

“I sent Sehun a text okay?”

“Oh wow…sorry, you sent a text that makes up for it.”

“Look…I was freaking out, she left him with me out of nowhere. I didn’t know what to do so I left him where I knew he’d be fine while I would work things out with her.”

“Don’t turn this around. That was irresponsible. What about your parents?”

“They don’t know.”

“Of course they don’t.”

“It’s all good now anyway.” Chanyeol extends his arms to receive the baby but Jongin doesn’t hand him to him right away.

“He’s amazing just so you know.” He says looking down at the sleeping baby. “Aren’t you?” He fondles a hand over his little head. “Your daddy is still an idiot.” He fake whispers making Chanyeol frown. “I want to be his godfather.” Jongin says as he finally gives Chanyeol his son. He looks even tinier in Chanyeol’s arms.

“I’ll see what I can do.”

“It’s a demand. The least you can do after I took care of him.”

Sehun doesn’t object. Jongin needs this more than he does.

“Fine fine…”

Chanyeol leaves with the promise of giving news and visiting as much as he can.

“It’s you and me now.” Jongin says the moment Chanyeol is out the door. Sehun gets nervous, his heart pounding inside his chest. He’d hope Jongin would have forgotten about it. No such luck because he’s looking dead serious at him.

“That was nothing-” Sehun tries to shrug.

“It was something, you kissed me! Can you tell me what got into you?”

“I just… I saw you with the baby …you were with the baby and…” Sehun fails to explain. It’s not rational and it sounds even worse said out loud but it’s kind of the truth...

“Wha-what is that-? What does that mean?”

“It’s just that you are…you know.”

“Not really, clarify me.”

“You’re you…you can be a little… sometimes.” Sehun knows he’s not helping his case but he finds out that he’s horrible at lying and that he never actually lied to Jongin before and he really can’t.

“Oh wow. But it was still this that helped you with that pooping machine!” Jongin gets close.

“I know…I know…and it made me look at you differently.” Sehun says in a tiny voice trying his best to stop the blush on his cheeks to protrude too much.

“Well…there’s no baby now. How do you see me?”

Sehun looks up at him and acts on impulse once more, closing the distance between the two and reaching a hand to the back of Jongin’s head to press their lips together rather than answering with words. He’s never been good with those anyway. And it turns out that Jongin isn’t either and the only way he knows how tell that this is okay, that he also wants this, is by placing his hands on Sehun’s hips and kissing back just that notch harder.

 

 


i'm getting worse at endings. i don't know man i've been reading parent au's and uh yeah...idk OTL