An Americano Without Sugar please

An Americano Without Sugar please

“Can I have your name?” The man asked behind the counter with the apron.

“Amber,” I said as clearly as I could, praying that I would not attract unwanted attention.

“Coming right up,” he went away I sat down. The planes were still touching down and the buzz of the people checking in was heard where I sat. Fortunately nobody recognised me or bothered to talk to me despite my appearance.

I should have worn a hat or more casual clothing. Skinny jeans with some Jeremy Scott high tops and a rather expensive jersey weren’t exactly what you could call casual wear. Not having makeup on may have helped. Checking the time on my phone I still had half an hour before the flight would arrive.

Half an hour until some top stars came back to their home country. Half an hour before it was time. Half an hour before the moment came. I sat there texting the other members who would be enjoying the day off. Song Qian was in Hong Kong for promotions. Soojung was enjoying time off with her sister. Knowing Sunyoung our star vocalist she would be practicing for the musical and Jinri may be off on a date. Nobody can know who the guy is; it’s a secret for as long as the pair will last.

“An order for Amber,” I jolted up straight from my seat. Going over quickly I checked the drinks before leaving. Checking the time again I realised that I had fifteen minutes to get into position.

***

The gates were crowded with fans all holding up their banners. Blending in would prove to be difficult. I stood near the back, pulling on a cap. The good thing was that I wouldn’t be there for long. It would be only until they emerged and walked down to the car park.

I checked the time again. With every passing moment I was becoming more anxious. How was I going to pull this off? It was then someone whispered, “Isn’t that Amber unnie?”

How did they find out? Glancing at my clothes I realised that I should have dressed more casual! “Yes it is. It’s Amber.” I darted away before anyone else could confirm it. Some of them screamed after me but I had to ignore it. In the rushing my ankle started hurting. I had injured it years ago yet it still caused me grief from time to time. SM never let me wear high heels as a result. Not that I really cared, I wasn’t too much into girly fashion.

At least he didn’t mind. Or so that’s what it seemed when I had asked him about it. “Not really. In some ways you’re like a brother to me but you’re a girl.” Never had I wanted to punch him so much until then. He’d said it in English so the others around us didn’t understand, well except for Kibum and Soojung. This was years and years ago. Now we were close.

Like siblings we bickered and pulled fun at each other and others when we could but I didn’t think of it being anymore. However he’d been acting strange recently. When I asked if he wanted to hang out he would suddenly say he’s busy and he would hang out with some of Girls Generation a lot more. I began to wonder if there was something wrong with me. The dork should have just said something!

And then there was that weird conversation we’d had before he went to the concert.

***

Three days before

 “You want me to come with you guys?” I laughed at him. He was an idiot. However the way he was looking at me showed that this wasn’t the case. My laughter came to a halt.

“I’m serious Amber. I’m sure the company won’t mind. After all, Jungsu won’t be there, we can squeeze you in.”  

“But I have to practice,” I argued back. “It’s not like f(x) gets love calls from all over the world.”

“Hey this is Super Show! It’s our yearly tour.” Seeing that I couldn’t argue back he said, “Game Set and Match.” I shoved him in the side wanting him to fall over.

“You’re annoying Henry Lau!”

He raised his to try and antagonise me further, “the one and only!”

“Are all Canadians cocky like you?”

“Only if they like…”  He stopped. I waited, wondering what he was on about. He finally finished his sentence by awkwardly saying. “—like the friend they are with. As in they are a good friend to them.”

I stood up, shaking my head at him, “smooth Henry very smooth. But going back to the original question mentioned before. I’m sorry pal, my answer still stands.” My answer made him crestfallen. He didn’t explain why the change in expression.

“Ok, but can you do something for me? You know the café near the airport?”

I nodded, “yeah I know it.”

“Can you get me an Americano, if you’re around that is?”

What was he getting at? Not knowing what he wanted I just agreed. “Ok sure you can have one.”

“But you are to have one and the one for me is to have no sugar.” Now I was confused. I just looked at him with my eyebrows up. “If you do that for me then I will know.”

“Know what Hen?”

“Know that I won’t have to say anything when I come back,” I didn’t have to ask further but I wanted clarification. Kyuhyun found him and they left for practice leaving me baffled. What was he going to say? Was it about that awkward conversation beforehand?

***

Walking down to the car park I scanned for any sign of the vans they arrived in. I saw it and went straight to the car. Peering in the window the driver sat in his seat, playing a game on his phone. Tapping the window scared the poor guy who then tilted his head at me.

“Hi sir, you’ve driven f(x) before haven’t you?” He nodded. “Can you do me a favour?” I need you to give this to Henry.” He seemed a bit surprised when I handed him the Americano.

“Hold on.” Getting my bag out I tore out a piece of paper from Jinri’s journal. I hoped she wouldn’t kill me for taking it without permission. Tearing that page in half and then half again I scribbled a short message and then handed it over. “Tell him he isn’t to read it until he’s alone.”

“Ok I understand,” I thanked him and then went to my lift.  We had organised that I would be picked up at the back of the airport. However I could see no sign of our manager or our car. “Where is he?” I glanced around, becoming more and more concerned.

“Electric Shock, Lalalalalala,” my phone suddenly sang. Getting it out in a rushed hurry I saw our managers’ ID. “Hello Amber, I am on my way but Sunyoung is running late from her rehearsal. I’ll call you when I’ve picked her up.”

“Ok that is fine,” we ended the call and I just found a place to sit by the cars. Hopefully someone wouldn’t see me. I took a sip of the Americano. Why did I even by this? Give me a Frappe any day; a Frappe with caramel flavour and plenty of whipped cream.

I then heard screaming from high pitched voices flowing out from the building. Super Junior must have appeared. It wouldn’t be long before they got in their car. By that time the ice in the Americano would still be intact. I got out my IPod to have a listen and kill time. Alicia Keys got me humming along. That is until my phone rang. I smirked when I saw Henry’s name.

“Amber where are you?”

“Where do you think I am?” I pretended to be cross but had a smile on my face. “How did the concert go? Didn’t rip your pants on stage I hope.”

He sounded tired on the other end. “Yeah great, it’s hot but the audience was awesome. I think it was one of our most packed shows yet. Wait you were rooting for me to rip my pants?!” He started to talk to me in annoyance but I just cracked up. I heard “I hope f(x) makes you wear a dress for your next comeback a pink and frilly one too!”

I managed to stop enough to say. “Sorry, good that it went well. Are you in your car?”

“We’re walking there now, why?”

“No reason, speak to you later.” I hung up, not caring he was in midsentence. After all he had done it to me in the past several times. My phone buzzed with a message from our manager. He would be fifteen minutes at least. I sighed; there was nothing I could do about it.

Ten minutes passed and another text came in. Our manager must have sent it twice. However I was mistaken after glancing at the name.

Henry? Had he read the message? With anticipation and some worry I opened the message.

Thanks for the Americano Manber. Thank God I can taste the sugar this time.

What? That couldn’t be? It was me who had the sweet Americano not him! I stared at the message, my eyes scanning it again and again. How did it happen? Maybe I should have checked both of the drinks before I gave it to him. It was times like these I wanted someone to cuff me in the head like they did in comedy movies.

Defeated by my own lack of common sense all I could do was laugh. “Oh well, I guess he will be telling me it after all.” Nothing wrong with knowing what he meant. We’d still be friends right? Then again I wondered whether my letter would have any input into it.

That was when I checked Twitter and saw Henry had made a post on his weibo account. Figuring it couldn't hurt I opened the link to read it. He'd posted it in English so I wondered what the point was since weibo is for China.

I don't know if you'll get this. But if you don't then consider yourself dumb :p.

We aren't really friends, however we are at the same time. I hate you you hate me and so on.

You're similar to a brother but I don't know if I can see you as one forever.

Don't hate me for being so late. I only just asked myself whether I really felt this way.

I guess so, I guess this feeling is not what it was before.

It's become a mystery. Maybe this drink will tell you what is true.

And no I did not taste it so figure it out yourself!

He had written his own little reflection on this post at the bottom.

Ah this friend, what would I do without her? I don't think I see her as a sister anymore. Could it be more?

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************