멜로디박스

My Orgel

 

It has been nearly 20 years since that day and my heart has yet to change. That beautiful boy who gifted me with the most precious of possessions comes back to cloud my thoughts. Though he is always without a name, I can clearly recall every detail about him.
 
His hands were creamy and soft as they caressed the side of the package on his lap. His eyes were dark molasses filled orbs, critically taking in the world around him. And his cheeks were flushed with the rosy sheen of a blush blooming just under the skin. We hid behind the trees to cover up our secret playground romance. 
 
I sigh at the memories as my hand comes up to rest on the back of my neck. The fingers on my free hand dance along the edges of my gift from so long ago. 
 
His hands were shaking as he held out his poorly wrapped present.
"I got this for you." I hear the ghost of his voice ringing in my head. 
 
"What is it?" I asked.
 
"It's so you'll always remember me." He smiled jovially and waited for me to take and rip into it.
 
If I had only known he was leaving me, that I'd never see him again. To never be able to see his feline eyes and heartbreaking smile. Never to hold his hand under the lunch table or carry his backpack for him as he hopped the fence into his yard. 
 
The bell rang for us to go back to class and his arms were still outstretched. 
"Hurry take it." He urged. "I guess you can open it at home then." He added. The telltale sign of melancholy marred his expressions. 
"Just give it to me after school." I said, trying to make him feel better.
"I can't. I'm getting picked up early. Just take it. Bye Jjong-ah."
His scrawny arms captured me me into a hug as he pulled me to his thin frame. I hugged him back with the same amount of fervor. 
 
"Thank you for the present." I beamed at him.
 
He looked up at me and leaned in to kiss my cheek. The burn left on my face scorched for hours after the simple brush of his lips. 
 
I couldn't wait until I got home to open my present. I hid it in my desk and slowly ripped the paper away without looking. When it was completely unwrapped I pulled it out. The chestnut lacquered wood shone in the bright lighting of the classroom. There were symbols etched into wood that I couldn't understand, but I knew it was beautiful. I started to open the box but slammed it shut as three notes of a melody rang out. My teacher gave me a stern look and turned back around to continue her lesson. I would have to wait to hear its song. The urge to run out of the room was strong and the minutes passed by painfully slow.
 
Finally, the the bell rang and I was up and ready to go with my box nestled into the crook of my arm. Older kids picked on me on my walk home for having such a 'girly' box in my arms, but it was a gift from the boy I loved so none of it reached me. After racing home, I stepped through the front door and ran up to my room, seeking the comfort of my closet.
 
"Jonghyun! Where are you?" My mother called from the living room.
 
I climbed up onto the shelf to hide my precious box away. If she saw it, she would take it from me. 
 
I slowly lifted the lid of my melody box again. The music spilled out and surrounded the tight area, stealing my breath to make more room. The tune that met my ears was lilting and left me completely tantalized in the semi darkness of my tiny corner. In the center of the box was a small figure spinning and spinning with the music. His dance was simple, but was executed perfectly. He never slowed no matter how the melody dipped or rose around him. When the song ended so did the dancer. He had blonde hair and dark eyes. He reminded me so much of the boy who kissed me only hours before. The blush that had only just subsided, blazed a burning trail across my cheeks again and down my neck. I closed the box and reopened it to start it all over again. I hummed along with the tune and held the box to my chest. I listened for hours in my hiding spot. I loved my little dancer, my orgel. I decided I would call him Key because I knew from that moment on that I would keep him locked away so he could only be mine. His ever-present smile shining only for me. His dance, a message of his love expressed through movement could only be seen with my eyes. And his song, the melody that would forever be in my heart.
 
No. I couldn't show anyone. They would take him from me. I can't let anyone take him. He's mine. 
He gave him to me. 
 
I trace the lines of the message etched along the top of my melody box, bringing my thoughts back to the present. I hum the tune I know will spring forth as soon as I lift the lid. I would know this tune from anywhere. It has been my favorite song for as long as I can remember, yet it doesn't have a name. I slowly open the box to see my little dancer still smiling and spinning for me without fail. I love him. Even if I can't recall the boys name who gave him to me. I have never loved anyone else since he spun his way into my life. After watching him dance to our song I close the lid, letting the last notes of the song ring around the room. My fingers go back to absently tracing the message on the top of the box. When I was in high school I learned the meaning of the foreign letters scratched into the top of my melody box. It says, "I love you, my Jjong-ah!" Even though I know it was a message from the boy who gave me the box, I have always felt it was a message from the box itself. From my dancer. And how I love him too. My Key, my Orgel.