1/1

A Thousand Years

A/N You should listen to A Thousand Years by Christina Perri while you read this, just because this is inspired by that song.

 

***

 

heart beats fast

 

“My name is Jung Daehyun,” the boy at the front bows slightly, flashing a smile at his new classmates. “I’m from Busan and will be a new student here, please treat me well!”

Youngjae’s eyes follow him as he walks to his desk, sitting in the empty seat beside him. His cheeks warm up when Daehyun looks back, his eyes shaping crescent moons when he offers a shy smile.

“I hope we can be friends,” Daehyun smiles softly and Youngjae can feel his chest thumping.

“I hope so too,” Youngjae returns a small smile, “I’m Youngjae, Yoo Youngjae.”

 

colors and promises

 

A tear slips out of Youngjae’s eye as he sits on the swings in the corner of the neighborhood playground alone. His fingers rub at his eyes and he kicks at the ground below his feet.

His parents were fighting again.

“Youngjae?” a voice calls out, velvety and smooth like chocolate. Youngjae looks up at the sound of his name being called, his heart skipping a beat at who it was.

“Hi..” he says quietly, looking back down at his feet again. Daehyun sits down on the swing next to him, his head tilted towards the sky.

“Are you okay?” Daehyun asks, his voice barely over a whisper.

Youngjae tries to lie, but a choked sob comes out. “N-no,” his voice cracks, “I’m not okay.”

The air around them is silent, so silent that Youngjae thinks Daehyun is gone. Of course he would leave, he thinks, everybody leaves.

Another tear slips out and a finger tilts his face up, soft fabric dabbing his face. Daehyun crouches in front of him, his hand on Youngjae’s knee.

 Youngjae feels vulnerable, crying like this in front of the older boy.

“I don’t know what happened,” Daehyun murmurs, his fingers gently wiping his face. “But I promise I’ll be here for you…”

Daehyun reaches out a pinky and Youngjae can’t help but smile through his tears, his hand reaching forward as well.

Their two pinkies hook around each other and color is brought back into Youngjae’s black and white world again. 

 

how to be brave

 

“Youngjae?” Daehyun shakes him gently, and Youngjae snaps out of his daze.

“Yeah?” he answers, and Daehyun shrugs.

“You looked out of it,” he says, and Youngjae chuckles and throws a pillow at him.

“I’m fine,” he smiles, and Daehyun throws the pillow back at him with a pout. “I was just thinking about some stuff, that’s it.”

Daehyun leans back in his chair and stretches his legs out, resting his feet on Youngjae’s bed. “Care to share?” he asks, and Youngjae bites his lips. “You know you can tell me anything,” Daehyun says reassuringly when he doesn’t answer, and Youngjae lets out a small sigh.

“It’s just that…” he sits up in his bed and hugs his pillow against his chest. “I…”

Daehyun looks at him with caring eyes and Youngjae can’t help but look away. “I think I like you,” he whispers. 

Youngjae can feel Daehyun’s eyes on him and he avoids his gaze.

He’s going to hate you. He’s going to think you’re disgusting. He’s going to leave just like everyone else did.

“I like you too,” Daehyun says just as quietly, his toes nudging against Youngjae’s feet. Youngjae looks up at him and Daehyun smiles the same smile he did when they first met, the same smile that made Youngjae’s heart thud before, that makes his heart thud now.

A weight is lifted off Youngjae’s chest when Daehyun gets up to sit next to him, his fingers threading into his.

 

how can i love when i'm afraid to fall

 

The sound of plates smashing to the ground causes Youngjae to flinch, the metallic taste of blood lining his mouth from how hard he’s biting his lips. His body is curled up into a ball on his bed, earphones in his ears in hopes of drowning out the screaming and smashing downstairs. They were fighting again.

“THIS IS YOUR FAULT,” his mother screams, the sound of another plate hitting the floor resonating around the house. “MAYBE IF YOU DID SPORTS WITH HIM WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER HE WOULDN’T BE LIKE THIS NOW.”

Youngjae whimpers and buries his head in his pillow. “SO IT’S MY FAULT OUR SON IS GAY?” his father spits back, and Youngjae’s body wracks from his sobs. He pulls out his phone and calls the first number he can think of, almost immediately calming down when he hears his voice.

“Hello?” Daehyun mumbles, his voice hoarse as if he had just woken up. Which was probably the case, seeing as how it was two in the morning.

“D-Daehyun?” Youngjae whimpers, voice muffled from the blanket around his head.

He hears some shuffling before Daehyun says, “Meet me at the park right now,” followed by the sound of a door closing. “Don’t hang up, Jae,” he adds, and Youngjae nods even though the other can’t see because no words can come out of him.

He sneaks past his parents and throws on a pair of flip flops before running out the door, straight to the park where he would often meet Daehyun.

 

but watching you stand alone

 

Youngjae starts to think about whether this was the right choice and his footsteps slow, his head turning back to look at his house. Daehyun and him being together was the reason why his parents were fighting, so was seeing him right now such a good idea?

His back is turned to him when he arrives, and Youngjae mumbles an “I’m here” into the phone before hanging up.

When Daehyun turns around and sees him with a look of worry in his eyes, Youngjae remembers why this whole thing was worth it.

 

all of my doubt suddenly goes away somehow

 

Daehyun runs to him and hugs him, so tightly that he can’t breathe. Youngjae buries his face in the crook of Daehyun’s neck and wraps his arms around his waist, the smell of the older boy enveloping him and bringing him comfort.

“They’re fighting again aren’t they,” he murmurs into Youngjae’s hair, and Youngjae nods. “I’m sorry, this is my fault…”

Youngjae tightens his hold on him and pulls away, just enough for him to look Daehyun in the eyes. “This isn’t your fault,” he whispers, “I made this choice.”

“I shouldn’t be getting in the way of your relationship with your family,” Daehyun says softly, and Youngjae cups his face in his hands.

“Stop saying that, you saved me from them,” Youngjae kisses him and Daehyun kisses back, pulling away with tears in his eyes.

“I love you, Youngjae,” he whispers, sealing his promise with another kiss. “I love you so, so much.”

 

one step closer…

 

Bags are packed and Youngjae’s room is completely empty of his belongings.

In fifteen minutes Daehyun’s coming to pick him up. They’re leaving, running away together.

A quick once over later and Youngjae sighs, but then he remembers the reason why he’s doing this.

He’s doing this so that he and Daehyun can finally be together in peace, and he’s willing to leave everything that he’s ever known to do just that.

The clock ticks and time passes by. The doorbell rings and Youngjae in a breath. This is it, I’m finally leaving.

He opens the door and an unexpected face greets him.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

 

i have died everyday waiting for you

 

It’s been seven years.

Seven years since his parents sent him away.

Seven years of living in America all by himself.

Seven years since he last saw Daehyun.

Youngjae stares at the ceiling of his one bedroom apartment and he sighs. It’s been so long, he thinks, picking at the bed sheets beneath him.

How are you doing?, he writes into his notebook. Have you forgotten me since we last met? Pencil stopping, a pause. Because I haven’t forgotten you.

I’m still waiting for you.

 

darling don't be afraid

 

Someone knocks on the door and Youngjae freezes. He walks towards it hesitantly, unsure about whether to open it or not. His hand stops on the handle and he turns it slowly, the door creaking open and a familiar stranger looks him in the eyes.

A familiar stranger, with blonde tousled hair and full lips and round eyes that shape into crescent moons when he smiles.

“Youngjae,” he breathes out, his chest heaving up and down like he had ran the way there. “I found you. I f-finally found you.”

Hands cup his face and before Youngjae can even process anything that’s happened he’s being kissed. An arm slips around his waist to bring him closer and Youngjae’s own arms wrap themselves around his neck, the familiar, intoxicating smell surrounding him.

If Youngjae didn’t know who it was before, he knew now.

Daehyun.

 

i have loved you for a thousand years

 

“Oh god, I missed you so much,” Daehyun gasps between kisses, and Youngjae can feel his cheeks growing wet.  

“What took you so long?” Youngjae laughs through his tears, and Daehyun hugs him tighter and spins him around.

“I’m so sorry,” he whispers, “I never stopped looking for you, it took me so long to find you but I finally did.” Daehyun holds Youngjae’s face in his palms again and smiles so widely that his eyes disappear from his face. “I love you,” he says softly, “I love you so much and oh god please don’t ever leave me like that again.”

“I won’t,” Youngjae promises, holding his pinky out towards the older boy. “I will never, ever leave you again.”

Daehyun laughs and hooks his pinky with his, sealing the deal with another kiss.

 

i’ll love you for a thousand more.

 

***

 

 

 

 


13/05/13

Word Count: 1621
wow I swore there was more.. haha oh well. I hope you guys enjoyed this c: Comments are appreciated!