Of Watermelons and Arm Wrestling

Of Watermelons and Arm Wrestling

 

Your eyes scanned the café through the large window, looking for Daiki. Today was one of the rare days where he had nothing on schedule and he had asked you to have lunch with him.  Spotting the familiar mop of brown hair, you walked into the café. Upon hearing the tinkling of the bells that signaled your entrance, Arioka Daiki looked up and smiled at you. You gave him a small wave and ran up to his table. “Hey Dai-chan! Long time no see!” You eyed the glass of milk on the table. “Still trying to grow taller?” you teased. “Even Chinen's catching up now! Might as well give up drinking milk, chibi-chan. It’s not working.” You knew how ticked off he could get over his shortness, but it was fun for you to see his reaction. “Hey! I’m still growing, you know!” he pouted slightly. “Is that how you greet a friend who you haven’t seen in a few months?” “Fine, I’m sorry, ‘kay?” You chuckled as you took a seat opposite him. Daiki could be so sensitive sometimes, especially if it’s about his height.

Over lunch, both of you chatted over things that happened over the past months. “So, I heard JUMP had an Asia Tour recently?” Daiki nodded, while still putting food into his mouth. “I worry about you sometimes when you’re on tour. You always oversleep even when you set the alarm clock! I swear you can sleep through a storm or something!” You laughed. As a student, Daiki was so notorious for being late that over time the teachers just didn’t bother anymore. “Bu-“ Daiki was interrupted by the waitress who came over to deliver a plate of watermelons that was part of the set of dishes you and Daiki ordered.

Daiki made a face that had disgust written all over it. “Why watermelons?!” you groaned. One of the things you had in common with Arioka Daiki was that both of you hated watermelons. If friends had invited you to a summer beach outing, only the both of you would refuse to eat the red fruit, no matter how much your friends try to convince you of its deliciousness under the hot sweltering heat. “But… it’s a waste to not eat one whole plate… How about we have a challenge? Arm wrestling, loser eats?” Daiki suggested, eager for a contest. “Oh, you’re on!” The competitive spirit in you refused to back down.

“1…2…3, go!” Arms locked, both of you fought to pin the other down. After a while, just when your arm grew tired and you were struggling to push Daiki’s down, suddenly, Daiki had somehow gotten a surge of power and in a flash, your arm was under his. “Damn!” The competitive spirit was still burning strong. “And what was that about how I should stop drinking milk?” he smirked, taunting you. You narrowed your eyes at him. “Come on, you can’t back out now! Finish the whole plate!” Daiki had a mischievous glint in his eyes. He was clearly enjoying this. No one messed with Arioka Daiki! He laughed as he watched you hesitantly pick up one slice of watermelon, wrinkling your nose as you moved it closer to your mouth. Ah, revenge was sweet.