one

My Halmeoni's Flower Shop (One Shot)

   I carefully handed a bouquet of hydrangeas to a young bride to be. Her smile showed the excited anticipation that she was feeling knowing that her wedding was so near. She bowed gratefully holding back a squeal as she left the store. I waved her goodbye smiling back as she practically skipped to her car. The spring never failed to leave me feeling delighted after a long day at the flower shop. The flowers were blooming magnificently this year. The last time the dahlias were so bright was when my halmeoni was still around. 
   I walked to the back of the store to retrieve the watering can. The bells tied to the door handle jingled as someone opened it and stepped into the store. I stopped in my tracks peering out from behind the door frame with wide eyes. The same boy that used to come to the flower shop everyday when I younger was back. I glanced down at my dirty shoes nervously before taking a step out of the back room and greeted him brightly. He searched the room puzzled before his eyes locked on a stem full of light purple flowers. He strode over to them eyeing them appreciatively. I walked over to the counter eyeing him curiously.
   He had grown to be a lot taller then my 160 cm self. His hair was now a light brown in color. He turned towards me smiling gleefully asking for the light purple flowers in the display case. His voice was much lower than I expected it to be. I nodded slightly and got the flowers out of the display case for him. My eyes found their way to his and I swallowed nervously. I quickly averted my gaze from him, feeling my cheeks become warmer. 

   "Is your grandmother still around?" He asked curiously.
   "No, she passed away a couple of years ago." I said glancing back up at his large quirky eyes.
   The corners of his mouth drooped down, "She did?"
   I nodded returning to the back of the store to put away the watering can.

   "She used to always tell me different stories that would fit the meaning of each flower I bought," he said pearing into the back of the store,"She told me about her wedding day when I bought a bouquet of peonies."
   I stifled a laugh, "She'd talk about my grandpa to anyone who was listening, even if they weren't, he's all she ever talked about." I replied walking back to the cash register.
   He stood there for a minute like he was trying to wrestle his tongue to express what he was thinking.
   "Do you know what these flowers are called?" He asked smiling again gesturing to the bouquet of purple flowers.
   His voice still held the same warmth that it did when I was ten.
   "They're called lilacs; they symbolize first love." I answered tying the stems of the flowers with a piece of twine. 
   His smile grew wider as he nodded his head, his hair slightly bobbing with it.
   I handed him the bouquet gently. He dug in his pockets pulling out 16,000 won. He placed the money in my hand along with the flowers. 
   My eyebrows connected in confusion. I

Thank you for reading! Comments are warlmy welcomed! ^^