Dreams

Dream Notebook

 

If it can be granted.

I want to go home and to school talking with friend.

I want to try to fall in love with someone.

I want to do work that will help people.

All of it.

It’s a wish that’s like a dream.

 

– Hospital Rooftop –

A girl is sitting quietly with a pen and paper at hand. Suddenly the door opens and a man run towards the girl who is sitting in the middle of the rooftop with her back facing him.

Yonghwa: Seohyun! Don’t be too hasty!

Seohyun: Eh? (Stops whatever she was doing)

He notices that she was just writing.  

Yonghwa: ....

 

– Seohyun’s Room –

Mrs. Seo: Seohyun cause you trouble I’m sorry.

Yonghwa: No, it seems that I just misunderstood...

Seohyun: I’m sorry Yonghwa~ssi. I just wanted to write with some fresh air (Holds on to the paper)

Yonghwa: Seohyun, you illness causes you to get an infection even if you get injured a bit. Promise me that you won’t go up to the rooftop anymore.

Seohyun: ...I’m sorry Yonghwa~ssi (turns her head)

Yonghwa: You feign an apology to reject it?! It’s an absolute no!

Seohyun: By the way, Yonghwa~ssi, isn’t it about time for you to go back?

Yonghwa: You definitely plan to go back there right?!

 

I’m Seo Joohyun, but people call me Seohyun. An eighteen year old....fourth year high school.

Since the age of eight, I’ve suffered from an incurable disease. Ever since, I’ve cycled between entering and leaving the hospital.

 

Seohyun: I think it’s just your imagination.

Yonghwa: Then will you hand me that paper.

 

The man who I wish who would leave already is Jung Yonghwa. He is a student doctor, and if I’m not mistaken twenty years old. He came to this hospital for training. I’m the first patient he’s been put in charge of.

 

Seohyun: (Though he looks like a singer from a magazine. Why is he a doctor? My paper got taken...)

Yonghwa: Anyway! Before my training is over, I want to see Seohyun laughing. I help you as much as I can, but...

Seohyun suddenly faced the door; she heard footsteps rushing over to her room.

Yonghwa: Hey, are you listening?

Seohyun: Hide the paper.

Yonghwa: Eh?

Yonghwa hid the paper under the bed like he was told. Just before someone could notice the door suddenly flew open.

Yoona: Seohyun, I found you!

Seohyun: Yoona~ssi, were you worried?

Yonghwa: (Why suddenly ask me to hide the paper?)

Yoona: Of course I was! And call me eonni! Does it hurt?

Seohyun: No...

Yoona: Grrr! You made me worry for nothing! Such...an expressionless, unsociable, girl who talks like a grade schooler!

Yonghwa: (Whoa!)

Seohyun: ... (Tilts her head sideward and walks towards the table)

Yoona: Is...Is she angry?

Seohyun brings out a notebook and starts writing.

Yoona: This again?

Yonghwa: Again?

Yoona: Seohyun has a disease that causes her to be anaemic most of the time, so there are many things she can’t do write? She’s writing notes on what she wants to do if her condition is cured.

Yonghwa: ...daebak!

Seohyun writes down on her notebook “Tell Yoona eonni that I’m an adult”

Yonghwa: Can I take a look?

Seohyun: Sure (Hands him her notebook)

*Plant gogumas*

*Learn to play guitar*

*Ride a bicycle*

Yonghwa: Daebak! Let's play guitar together!

Seohyun: You know how?

Yonghwa: Yeah, I play it during my free time. I even bring it here even though I can't play it since it will cause noise to the other patients. 

Seohyun: ...

Yoona: As I thought, you use words like a grade schooler.

Seohyun: I’m already a third year high school student; don’t treat me like a kid. Ah, Jonghyun~ssi!

Yoona: Really? Where?! (Turns around and find no one) You tricked me!

Seohyun: Now that is settled let’s return to...

Yoona: To your childish words.

Seohyun: I told you not to treat me like a kid.

 

Yonghwa exited the room since he knows Seohyun was fine already. He started walking to his next duty, but he didn’t notice he was humming happily.

 

Yonghwa: They get along well, Seohyun and Yoona, haha!

Taeyeon: Those two have been friends for ten years.

Yonghwa: Head doctor!

Taeyeon: What happened? You look so happy?

Yonghwa: Yes! Since the day I was first put in charge of Seohyun, she’s always been expressionless...to be honest, I didn’t know how to treat her...it seems that I’ve found a clue to how to make her smile. I’ll work hard!

Taeyeon: That’s good to hear, but there’s even better news.

 

–Doctors Office –

Mr. & Mrs. Seo: Eh? You found a donor?!

Mrs. Seo: Really doctor?

Jonghyun: Yes. If the marrow transplant goes well, she’ll recover from her condition completely. Seohyun~ssi will be healthy and be able to live normally.

Mrs. Seo: I’m glad.

Mr. Seo: Good for you Joohyun!

Seohyun: ...yeah.

Mr. &Mrs. Seo: We’re counting on you doctor.

Jonghyun: Yes (Notices that Seohyun was acting strangely and wasn’t happy as he thought she would be)

 

...I can’t be happy. I should...always be waiting...for the day when they find a donor. The day when I undergo the operation.

 

Seohyun is sitting on a bench outside the hospital garden. She was holding onto her snowflakes. Suddenly she heard someone call out her name.

Yonghwa: Seohyun!!! (Runs up to her and messes up her hair) You did it Seohyun!

Seohyun threw the paper snowflakes she was holding to him, making Yonghwa fall to the ground.

Yonghwa: Sorry, I was just so happy (Rubs his head)

Seohyun: About what?

Yonghwa: That we found a donor.

Seohyun’s eyes widened.

Yonghwa: I’m really glad. Seohyun...waited for ten whole years.

Seohyun: Yeah...it was long...ten years. So I...did a lot of research. I heard a lot from the physician in charge. Jonghyun~ssi as well. I know...that my case, there is a fifty-percent chance of successful transplantation. With the entire treatment, my body will be able to be normal.

Yonghwa: Seohyun...what are you...

Seohyun: The risk of death...is thirty-percent.

Yonghwa’s eyes widened.

Seohyun: Yonghwa~ssi, I...I’m just a bit...scared.

Yonghwa noticed that even though she said that with an emotionless face her body was trembling with fear.

Yonghwa: ...the notebook. Seohyun let me see that notebook once more.

 Seohyun: What?

Yonghwa: (Stands up and pulls her hand) One of the things in there...let’s fulfil it. When the operation succeeds, not just one, but all of them, will be things you’ll definitely be able to do.

 Seohyun’s eyes widened and couldn’t stop staring at Yonghwa’s face.

Yonghwa: You’re waiting for that day. If you think that way, the operation won’t be just scary.

Seohyun: ...Yonghwa~ssi (Opens her notebook and shows her list) Then let’s do this one.

*Learn to play guitar*

Yonghwa: Eh?

Seohyun: I can’t?

Yonghwa: It’s not like you can’t, but why this one?

Seohyun: When eomma returns in the evening, let’s start!

Yonghwa: Ah, yeah.

Seohyun: Then meet me in the lobby later.

Due to her excitement Seohyun leaves Yonghwa and rushes back to her room.

Yonghwa: Somehow, without me realizing it, I was swept up by Seohyun’s pace.

 

– Inside an office –

Yonghwa: This is?

Seohyun: A never used room. I found it with Yoona unnie when we were exploring the hospital. We come here to talk about things we can’t let adults hear.

Yonghwa: ... (Like what exactly?)

Seohyun: And, Yonghwa~ssi I want to try learning the note A,G,C, and A minor...

Yonghwa: (Smiles) Pft...Hahaha! 

Seohyun: Is...Is it strange?!

Yonghwa: Nope, I think it’s cute. (She has some sides like a normal girl) Here I brought my guiter, shall we star?! 

Seohyun: Yeah.

Yonghwa starts adjusting a few strings, him not noticing that Seohyun was looking at him.

Yonghwa starts teaching Seohyun some notes, after a while they took a short break. 

Seohyun: Thanks. Yonghwa~ssi will become a great doctor.

Yonghwa: You think? The studying is a bit hard, I’m surprise I can keep up (Scratches his head)

Seohyun: You give off that feeling.

Yonghwa: You think about me like that?!

Seohyun: Let's practice again!

Yonghwa: Seohyun?! Answer my question.

Seohyun: Will it make you happy?

Yonghwa: Who...?

Taeyeon: Do you know where Yonghwa went?

Yonghwa: Taeyeon~ssi (covers his mouth)

Yonghwa and Seohyun cover their mouth trying to stay quiet since Taeyeon was just outside the room.

Yonghwa: I’m sure I saw him around here earlier.

Yonghwa quietly slid the window open.

Yonghwa: We’ll be in trouble if we got caught. I’ll leave a bit. I’ll be back soon. (Exists the room trough the window)

When Yonghwa left, Seohyun noticed that nobody was outside the door. When she was about to leave the room, she felt a bit dizzy, making her crouch down on the floor.

Seohyun: Ahh...The usual dizzi...ness... (Placed her hands on her head) I better...hurry...back...to my room... (Fainted)

 

Yoona was walking around the lobby looking for Jonghyun but she noticed that Yonghwa was outside near her secret spot with Seohyun. She hurries to their secret room, to check if Yonghwa really been there.

Yoona: Are you there Seohyun? Yonghwa~ssi was here earlier wasn’t he? Why did you tell him about this place...why were you both here?

Yoona noticed that Seohyun was lying down on the floor unconscious.

Yoona: Seohyun?!

 

– Seohyun’s Room –

Mrs. Seo: Why didn’t you watch over her?!

Seohyun was lying on her bed with an oxygen mask on . Mrs. Seo pushed Yonghwa backwards towards the door, furious with what happened.

Mrs. Seo: When they’ve finally found a donor, and even the day of the operation has been decided. Do you know how crucial this time is?!

Seohyun: (Removes her oxygen mask) eomma, stop it. I asked Yonghwa~ssi.

Mrs. Seo: Joohyun...

Seohyun: So...don’t blame...Yonghwa~ssi

Yonghwa couldn’t look at Seohyun. He couldn’t bear it. He had his face down and he clenched his hands, shaking with anger.

Yonghwa: Everything is my fault. I’m really sorry.

 

A few days later

 

– Hospital Garden –

Yonghwa was in deep thought while sitting on a branch of a tree.

Taeyeon: Yonghwa! It’s dangerous there.

Yonghwa: Taeyeon~ssi

Taeyeon: You seem down lately, though you were the most energetic student this year. Seohyun~ssi’s case...seems to have given you a shock.

Yonghwa: Taeyeon~ssi, I...might not be suited to being a doctor.

Taeyeon: Now what are you blabbering about?

Yonghwa: It's...just that...

Taeyeon: Babo! (This little boy) Yonghwa it wasn't you fault with what happened. We can't tell when someone would suddenly faint or not.

Yonghwa: But...even so...I was with her...and I let that...happen to her. How can I become a doctor, If I...I can't even help her?!

Taeyeon: ...Yonghwa...

Seohyun who was suppose to head over where he was stopped behind the door, hiding. With the words that she heard she couldn’t move from her spot. She fell to her knees shocked...thinking that it's her fault. 

 

It’s my fault...

There’s no wish here...I want to fulfil.

If it comes to that, everything, from the start...

would be better if I wished for it...

 

Seohyun threw her notebook knowing it was useless. Wanting some fresh air she went to the rooftop. She just stood there quietly looking at the sky.

Jonghyun: Seohyun~ssi.

Seohyun: Jonghyun~ssi

Jonghyun: (Places a blanket on her shoulder) you’ll catch a cold. We can’t change the schedule for your operation, so we need to keep you in perfect condition.

Seohyun: ...thank you.

Jonghyun: And...the thing you dropped (hands her, her notebook)

Seohyun: ...I...I don’t need it. I wrote such a thing, causing everyone trouble...

Jonghyun: (Opens the notebook) *secretly decorate the hospital garden*

Seohyun: Jonghyun~ssi!

Jonghyun: *work a part time job in a cafe* *write a song* “and...I want to sing a song I wrote to Yonghwa~ssi.”...Yonghwa~ssi’s birthday is the twenty-second of June, the day he finishes is doctor’s training. For Yonghwa~ssi to be able to become a doctor, he might able go to another hospital. I want to do much as I can. You...thought that, right?

Seohyun: Be...before the operation, by all means, I wanted to do something for someone. Because...if...the operation fails...I will end...without giving back to...eomma and appa, Jonghyun~ssi, Taeyeon~ssi, Yonghwa~ssi...and everyone who, supported me. Even though I couldn’t express it, I was...happy. They all...stood by me...smiling.

 

In the time since I was attacked by my disease, then years ago, what could I do?

If I can’t know when I’ll die, I should distance...myself from people as much as I can.

If kind people will pity me, I should just stop laughing and crying.

What I can do...is it to abandon my own emotions and my connections to others.

But...I didn’t want to think that was all I could do, so I started writing notes.

In this notebook, the things written one after another...is my attachment to life itself.

 

Jonghyun placed the notebook on Seohyun’s hands.

Jonghyun: I’m returning this to you.

Seohyun: (Hugs the notebook tightly) Jonghyun~ssi...the truth is, I really...don’t want to give up...on one thing written in this notebook (cries)

Jonghyun: (Smiles) yes. Let’s make all of them reality

 

Just one wish.

The thoughts I write in the future,

 I want to become someone who will be able to fulfil them.

 

– Hospital Garden –

Yonghwa was sitting by branch of a tree again, looking at the sky. He couldn’t get the thought of Seohyun getting hurt because of him. As he was looking at the sky he suddenly notices someone climbing up the tree where he was.

Seohyun: Yonghwa~ssi. Looking at the sky?

Yonghwa: Seohyun! That’s dangerous!

Yonghwa helped Seohyun climb up. He reached for her hand, and made her sit beside him thinking she might fall off.

Seohyun: The things...can’t just stay as dreams...I already wrote here...I won’t be scared of the operation because...I want to grant this one line, but I still plan to grant all of them...will...I be able become one? (Shows him her notebook)

Yonghwa eyes widened as he read her dream *Become a nurse*

Yonghwa: ...you will become one. (Grabs her shoulders) you’ll surely...become one!

When Seohyun heard his words, her lips were gradually forming a smile...and Yonghwa noticed it.

Yoona: What are you doing to my Seohyun, you idiot?!

Yoona and Jonghyun were walking together but suddenly Yoona saw Seohyun sitting on a branch with Yonghwa. She couldn’t help but worry, so she ran towards where they are.

Yonghwa: Yoona~ssi! Hyun was about to smile!

Yoona: Really?! Wait Hyun?

Yonghwa: That’s the nickname I gave her (smiles)

Yoona: What?! Are you fine with that Seohyun?

Seohyun: (Nods)

Yoona: Wha?!

Jonghyun: Haha! It seems like your relationship is developing.

Yonghwa: (Blushes) I...It’s nothing like that!

Yoona: Right... (Turns to Seohyun) don’t tell me you have a nickname for him as well?

Seohyun: Hmm...Yo...~Yong.

Yonghwa: What...am I a dragon?

Yoona: Haha! That suites him all right, nice choice right Jonghyun~ssi?

Jonghyun: Haha! Right!

Yonghwa: Fine...but only she can call me that (smiles) Well Hyun, it’s about time to return to your room (climbs down the tree and offers her his hand)

Seohyun: Yes (Takes his hand) thank you.

 

I’ll make friends,

I’ll go home with them.

I’ll fall in love with someone.

I’ll surely...

...become a person that can illuminate someone’s darkness.