01: The Brothers Kim

Fisherman's Register

Sungyeol arrived at his destination with a bright smile on his face and much determination despite the grueling long hours he had just spent on a stuffy, small boat and an equally cramped, stuffy car. Having arrived at this small fishing village, his smile could not be wiped off his face. He made it. And soon, he was going to get what he came here for.

He headed over to the nearby eatery and inn which was packed with customers for lunch. The atmosphere inside was bright and energetic, contrary to the depictions he'd often saw on TV as a child. There was nothing dark nor gloomy about it.

Standing outside the door for a short while, he observed the on-goings within before making up his mind about the place. It seemed that the customers and the workers had friendly relations which he deduced to be the proof that these people were regular customers. But then again, this was a small fishing village. He'd learned that places like this were usually places where everyone knew everyone, and anyone who wasn't recognized was recognized easily.

As he approached the table where a man was wiping mugs with a cloth, the man greeted him, "Well, hello there Mister. How can I help you?"

"Do you have a room where I can stay and lunch?" he asked.

"Of course, there's room. We don't get much outsiders visit our little village, you know," the man replied cheerily. "So, what'll it be for lunch?"

"Uh...bread and soup," he replied, not too sure what to order.

"Bread and fish soup it is!" the man exclaimed. "I hope you eat fish, it's the best there is."

 

After helping himself to a delicious lunch, Sungyeol decided to stay in his seat for a while and have a little chat with the owner.

"Tales, you say?" he asked. "Well, we do have a tales like the ones you're talking about around here, but I'm afraid I don't tell those stories well..." he said, trailing off in thought, not realizing that Sungyeol's expression began to become gloomy. "However," he added, instantly catching Sungyeol's undivided attention again. "We do have someone who can tell you all about it. They're the sons of our late bard, and they're very good at it, too."

"Can I meet them?" he asked.

"Not at this time, I'm afraid," the owner replied. "They're out at sea right now. Those boys are fishermen, too. But if you want to meet them, then it can be easily arranged. Those boys are the ones that catch my fish and they come here for dinner every night."

"That would be great if I could meet them!" he exclaimed.

"Then be here before the sun goes down," he said. "Before then, why don't you go around the village? I think there are a lot of things that you would be able to find interesting."

 

~°~

 

After an afternoon of exploring the village, Sungyeol came home with a smile on his face. He'd seen many interesting things today, and met some very interesting people as well.

The owner greeted him merrily and waved him over to where two boys sat, enjoying their meal.

"These are the Kim brothers," he said. "Sunggyu and Woohyun. They're the boys I was telling you about."

"Nice to meet you, I'm Sungyeol," he replied, greeting the two.

"So, you boys mind helping my guest out?" he asked, to which the two nodded. "I leave him to you, then. Take good care of the fellow."

And so, Sungyeol met, for the first time, two men who knew the story he'd been searching for. His heart seemed to soar with excitement when they began to tell him the tale.

 

 

A/N: A random play on the idea of the Grimm brothers, who formulated the Grimm's law (which is one of the earliest descriptions--not really a law--of the sound shifts in the Germanic branch of the Proto-Indo-European language family). Though I think most of you would recognize the name because of Grimm's fairytales.