Macaroons, Beach and Fears

Bittersweet Fear

I think this song fits for this chaper..

so you guys can listen to this as you read the fic :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New faces, new experiences, new adventure. Another 2 months of pain and pleasure. Rome thought as he inhale the fresh air along the streets of his new destination. As a food blogger, traveling from one place to another was never new to him. He had been to Europe and various parts of Asia just to find the dishes that can tickle his sophisticated taste buds. For this time, he decided to go to a province in his own country, Korea. Few weeks ago, he heard that there’s a café that serves the finest pastries and the best macaroons in the whole Asia.

 

It was 9 in the morning; he left his hotel room and started his journey. He loved every step that he was taking. He loved how the place gave him a vintage vibe. The houses, the environment; its well preserved. His admiration was suddenly interrupted by a fragrant aroma coming from his left. A smell that can surely capture anyone’s attention. His feet moved on its own direction, allowing his legs to take over and follow the intoxicating scent. He stopped in front of a bakeshop. This is it! He thought. The shop was old-fashioned, but it’s well furnished. A well designed café that can grab someone’s interest. He entered the café and saw a young man cleaning the table near the counter. “Bonjour!” the man greeted. Rome didn’t seem to understand anything but the still gave a smile and bowed. He walked towards the cashier where the man was standing. “Hi …KangJun? Did I got it right?” Rome said as he read the guy’s nameplate. Now it’s Kangjun’s turn to smile and bow.

“By the way, I’m Barom but you can call me Rome if you want. I’m a food blogger and… let’s get this straight, I want to know the bestsellers, please.” Kangjun must admit, he’s a bit nervous; his heart was pounding kinda fast than the usual. Maybe because it’s his first time to have an encounter with such a charismatic and clever man ever since he worked in this café.

“Kangjun?”

“Oh sorry Sir, I--”

“I think you should tell me the history of this bakeshop before anything else, could you?” Rome smiled at the younger. He loved the way Kangjun looked at him, the way he smile and the way he talk. “Sure!” He explained everything that he knows about the shop; from the smallest to the most important detail. “This shop was a French pastry shop owned by my cousin who studied in France. We serve different kinds of pastries like cakes, croissants, bagels, baguettes. Name it, we have it here.” The boy tried his best not to stumble onto his own words. “Oh! That’s why you said Bon…zho.. whatever!” Rome chuckled. “So can I have your world-famous macaroons, please?” “That’s our bestseller! You made a good choice, Sir” Kangjun responded lively. He stood up and went straight to the counter. Rome smirked, his eyes still focused on Kangjun’s face. “You’re cute.”

 “What was that, Sir?”

 “Oh,nothing.”

 

“Here it is.” Kangjun placed a plate of macaroons that comes in assorted colors and flavors. To pretty to eat! Rome thought. The younger also carefully handed him the mocha latte. “Thank you! But what does C’est Chaud mean?” The blogger asked as he read the words that were written on the mug. “That means ‘It’s hot’. It’s a French word.” The waiter bowed and slowly walked away from the table but he was stopped when someone grabbed his wrist. He turned around and saw the man flashed a smile on him. “Please stay with me. I want to know more about you… I mean about this café.” Fortunately, Kangjun agreed. To be honest, Rome doesn’t even care about the café’s history, all that he want is to spend some more time with the guy beside him.

 

After hours of conversation about the shop, they started to talk about their hobbies and interests, their job and other random things. The smile on their faces never left until it was already time to say goodbye. Rome was the only costumer that day. It seems like fate wanted them to spend more time getting to know each other. “Kangjun, I have to go. It’s getting late.” Rome said as Kangjun started to clean the tables again. “Sure! Nice to meet you, Mr.Rome.” “Kindly cut the ‘Mr.’ you’re already my friend after all.” The guy went to the counter and smiled shyly as Baron took his steps towards the door when he recalled something.

“Kangjun-sshi, are you free tomorrow? Can you tour me around the city? You know…..I’m a tourist here and I--”

“It’s my day off tomorrow.” Kangjun answered as he was about to unplug all the devices that were used in the shop.

“So it’s a yes? Say you will. Please?” The elder beamed like an idiot as he waited for the response.

“Yes.” Kangjun blushed for a second; he felt something inside that he can’t even explain. This feeling was enigmatic.

 

Is this love? He thought. No. Not now. Not him.

 

He closed the store as soon as everything was settled. He went home, still having that mysterious feeling inside his body. On the other side, Rome was about to update his blog about his new experience but his brain was filled with Kangjun’s images. The both of them slept thinking of each other’s smiles.

 

Seconds turned into minutes, minutes to hours, and hours to days. They used the see each other each and every day. Rome spends his mornings on the café. There were times when the café was jam-packed, but he didn’t care. All that he wanted was to see Kangjun. His Kangjun. After the work in the café, he would ask Kangjun out for dinner. Kangjun felt special, he felt that he’s loved, that someone was afraid of losing him. Rome was happy to have Kangjun by his side. He never felt this kind of happiness before. They also stroll on the beach together when it’s the younger’s day off.  They knew more about each other and Rome must confess, he fell harder every time they talk.

Friday, Kangjun’s day off, they went to the beach again. But this time, things are kinda rough. Awkward. “Ahmm Junnie, what are you afraid of?” They sat on the shore, their eyes staring at the waves before them, calming their selves from the high that they often get from being together.

“Fear of falling--”

“Heights? Falling from tall places? We’re—“

“Falling in love.” Kangjun cut him off and allowed a tear to roll down on his perfectly sculpted cheeks. Rome was surprised with the boy’s reply. “Why?” he asked. “I don’t know. I just can’t. I’m afraid to get hurt again.” Barom pulled him closer; he let the boy to feel his heart beat as he sob.

“Junnie, getting hurt is a part of falling in love, a part of life!”

“I’m tired of all those bulls that love gave me. My life became miserable. Nobody loves me. I never loved someone as much as I loved him.”

Him? He fell in love with a guy before? Rome was still shocked, he wasn’t expecting those words. He looked at the sobbing lad’s eyes and cupped his cheeks; he grabbed the opportunity and allowed his lips to meet Kangjun’s. It was sweet. Sweeter than the macaroons. Kangjun loved every second of that moment. “I’m so sorry, I…I have to go.” He managed to say between his tears. Before he could walk away, Barom held his hand tightly and stood up. “Why don’t we try?” tears begun falling from his eyes.

“Try what? I know you’re just like him. Can you please stop this crap and let me go!”

“Oh god! You’re fooling yourself! Let yourself fall!”

“Why would I? Do you love me?!” Kangjun asked as he felt his body weaken. “I do.I think I do.  Listen, right now all I know is that I need you and I can’t afford to lose you.” Rome caressed Kangjun’s cheeks and smiled. “I know you feel the same way too. Let’s just try, Baby. I swear, I’ll never leave you. I’m willing to drop everything for you.” They hugged like there’s no tomorrow, both gasping for some air.

“Ok. Let’s work on this hmmm?” the smaller guy said as Rome placed a soft kiss on his temple.

 

The both of them were still afraid to lose each other. They were still allowing their selves to go with the flow. Allowing fears to be strengths. Rome was the only one who kept on saying ‘I love you’ but it wasn’t a problem. He knew that it wouldn’t be easy for Kangjun’s part. It’s his fear, and it takes a lot of courage to overcome it. He’s willing to wait for a thousand years cause he knew that the his lover’s answer will be worth the wait.

 

They spend a whole day together doing silly things, cuddling, hugging, laughing and other random stuffs. They both enjoyed it, tho. Rome fell asleep beside Kangjun. Intertwined fingers. Tangled legs. Hands rested on each other’s waist. Foreheads pressed against each other. The young man run his finger across Barom’s right cheek the whispered. 

“One day, I’ll tell you how much I love you…just not today.”