Cemetery and Carnations

The 20th

 

2 – Cemetery and Carnations

 

Windows are always Jiae’s favorite spot. Through windows, she can spy and peek, looking at someone. She can spend hours on her window, watching all along.

But distraction is always there.

“Jiae-ya!”

Its her Mom.

“Jiae-ya, I just arrived from Dad” Mom told her as he ruffles her hair. “You better go there, Sweetie”

Jiae smiled sweetly. “How did I forget that?”

“Be safe on your way, kiddo” Mom smiled before Jiae departed from the house. Jiae smiled, nodding then she left the doorway.

The cemetery is not far away from her house. She only walked straight for a few minutes. However, she and her Mom have habits. Her father likes carnations, so she always buy a bouquet of carnations.

Jiae passed Kyuhyun’s house. She remembered that day. The brooch. Kyuhyun’s tears. His mom. She felt the same, the same way to her Dad. She wonders if there is something else than the brooch. But she’s afraid to ask that to him.

Curious, Jiae walked to the gate. She peeked inside the house. Its empty. It always looks empty. But this time, she noticed that there’s no shoes at the front. Nobody’s home.

I wonder where is he now.

Its always been an interest for Jiae, not only the owner. The number. House number 20. 20 is her favorite number. She doesn’t know why. Nothing happened during the date of 20, and she hopes something happened. Aside from the number, the house has a familiar scent. A lavender scent. His house smells like lavender. Even Kyuhyun himself.

She looked to the sky who’s not in a good mood. Its been cloudy,  but rain is not coming. She walked faster, remembered she hasn’t buy flowers for her Dad. Jiae ran to the closest flower shop. The shop she always knew and the usual place she bought carnations.

“Jiae-ya, its you again” the ahjumma who sells flower smiled as she glanced to the carnations she has.

“I think you know what am I buying, ahjumma” Jiae answered. “As usual, a bouquet for Mom and a bouquet for Dad”

The ahjumma’s face turned from a smile to a frown. “I’m sorry, Jiae-ya. I’m really sorry” she said.

“They’re sold out?” Jiae asked. “Hmm. Not usual”

“I know” ahjumma replied. “I’m sorry, Jiae-ya, but someone bought carnations before you. Are you okay with that? I’m sure I’ll have carnations when you came”

“Its fine, ahjumma” Jiae replied. “Really, its fine. I bought this flower all the time, while that person doesn’t. Its the first time you ran out of carnations. Its okay, ahjumma”

“Then do you want to buy some other flower?”

“Maybe... white roses?” she asked.

“I’m glad I still have those” the ahjumma took a bouquet and gave it to Jiae, then Jiae paid for the roses. “Have a good day, Jiae-ya”

“You too, ahjumma” Jiae smiled and left the flower shop. She continued to the cemetery.


 


 

“Father, I have come today”

Jiae kneeled in front of her father’s grave. She spreaded the white roses above the grave. Not only that, but also other things, like pulling away the grass that had grown too high, or maybe cleaning the grave from the dry leaves. She caressed the photo on the grave, who is none other than her father.

“I’m sorry for not bringing you the carnations” she said. People would’ve consider her as a weirdo, but she didn’t care. “I’ve brought you white roses for today”

“Do you know why?”

Jiae’s smile became wider. “Appa, white roses... is the flower, that you always buy for Mom when you were young” she laughed a bit. “When was the last time you bought roses for Mom?”

“Next time, I’ll bring white roses” Jiae continued. “Carnations... aren’t you bored of it? You always told me that carnations are your favorite. But there’s a lot more, right?”

I miss you. I miss you. I miss you.

“I miss you, Dad” she cried. “I want to see you again. I wish you are okay there. You’re luckier than me after all. Your daughter here has a longer path than you have. And I’ll keep on making you proud. Because I’m proud to be your daughter. I’ll make Mom happier too”

Jiae found something weird. A shoe.

“That’s weird” she mumbles as she walked closer to the shoe. She pulled that shoe, and she was surprised. The shoe has an owner. She looked up.

It was Cho Kyuhyun.

“Mmmh” Kyuhyun shook his head. His eyes were shut. Kyuhyun’s face started to sweat, which made Jiae worried. He was having a bad dream...

“Kyuhyun, wake up” Jiae shook his shoulders. “Kyuhyun! Wake up!”

“Whoah!” he woke up in shock. Kyuhyun didn’t believe what he just saw. Han Jiae, squatted beautifully in front of him. “Han Jiae, what are you doing here?”

“You’re sleeping, leaning to my father’s tomb” Jiae frowned, ignoring his question.

“So this was...” Kyuhyun tried to conclude but he felt guilty too. “I’m sorry, Jiae-ssi. I’m sorry”

“And... what are you doing here?” Jiae asked back. Kyuhyun bit his lip, still shocked and nervous. She looked to his hand, which is still holding the handkerchief she had a few days ago. The brooch.

“I didn’t know your Mom was here!” Jiae said in excitement. “Can you show me where she is? I want to see her”

But Jiae frowned again, remembering who she was talking to. Kyuhyun found that cute, since he’s liking Jiae as well. He tried hard not to laugh. On the other hand, he was shy as well.

“Oh, right” Jiae frowned. “Why would you want to–”

“Get out” Kyuhyun said coldly. Still, he’s playing with pride as always.

“I’m sorry” she said. “Its alright. I don’t want to see you cry too”

“Its not about crying” Kyuhyun quickly answered. “You know too much”

After he said those words, Kyuhyun quickly left the cemetery. Jiae sighed, forgetting that he’s still as cold as ice.

Why are you so cold? Why you don’t want to be friends with me?


 


 

 

Ah, another task?

Kyuhyun grunted in his heart as he looked dully to the front. Teacher Kim just announced another task for all students. Her system was using one hard assignment to fill a few scores. But the assignments, aren’t always easy, especially for Kyuhyun.

“Yes, there will be a task” Teacher Kim said. “To make it more fun, of course, I’ll give assignments. Unless you wanted red circles on your report card”

Make it fun? Make it harder it is!

“Each of you will be divided to partners, and you will team up to make an essay about you with animals. Three hundred words, with hand-writing, and... pictures”

MWORAGO???

Kyuhyun tried hard not to grunt, because he doesn’t want to get another punishment. He shrugged in his seat. As usual, he started to be pessimistic whenever assignments come.

“And to get your partners” Teacher Kim continued. “Is to take a name in here”

She held up a bowl with rolled papers inside. “One student will take one paper roll in here. The ones that already mentioned cannot step forward” Teacher Kim said. “Lets start, then”

One by one students came to the front. Some did cheats just to get the name they wanted, but Teacher Kim isn’t that stupid. She’ll give another attempt to those who cheats.

“Cho Kyuhyun”

Kyuhyun’s back arched. He looked to a nerd who just said his name.

“Okay” Teacher Kim said. “Kim Dongjun and Cho Kyuhyun”

“Next, Han Jiae” she called again. Han Jiae stepped forward as she took a roll of paper inside the bowl.

“Kim Dongjae”

Kim Dongjae, the same nerd who is known as Kim Dongjun’s twin brother, widened his eyes. He was worried about his brother being partnered with Cho Kyuhyun. As soon as Han Jiae back to her seat, he tilted his head to Dongjun.

“Ya, why didn’t you pick me?” Dongjae whispered in anger.

“I dont know, hyung” Dongjun murmured. “Besides, its Teacher Kim. I can’t cheat”

“You know I won’t be calm whenever you’re gone” Dongjae said. “I’ll be shivering in the next thirty seconds!”

“Then what should I do?” Dongjun whispered back.

“Exchange partners!” Dongjae answered. “You don’t want with that hot-headed Kyuhyun, right?”

Kyuhyun, who’s in front of them, sighed heavily. But the twins didn’t care, and Kyuhyun thought he’s not supposed to do that. But he knew, exchange partners means he’ll go with Jiae.

“I’ll talk to Han Jiae” Dongjae took the initiative. He walked to the other side, going to the crowds of everyone else who also exchanging partners.

“Han Jiae” he tapped Jiae’s shoulder. “Yes?”

“Dongjun wants to be with me” Dongjae said. “You know what happened if we’re not together. I’m really scared. Please, can we exchange partners?”

Jiae sighed, reluctant with the offer. She imagined, what would it be if Dongjae and Dongjun are separated? Dongjae will shivering nonstop and his sweat will spilled all over the place. The next day, Dongjae will not going to school. She doesn’t know why he has that kind of reaction when he’s separated with Dongjun. Worse, the twins both had the same reaction when they’re separated.

“Alright” was Jiae’s answer. “Who was Dongjun’s partner by the way?”

“Cho Kyuhyun” Dongjae pointed to Kyuhyun who sat in a corner. She sighed. Its worse than she thought. She thought it’ll be fine as long as she’s away from Kyuhyun. Then again, she just took a chance to know him more.

“Students, please go with your partners” Teacher Kim announced.

“Come on!” Dongjae pushed Jiae. Jiae sighed as she walked to Kyuhyun’s place.

“I’m sorry” Jiae whispered as she took a seat beside Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun didn’t believe it. The twins was exchanging. Han Jiae is beside him. He doesn’t know if he should be happy or not. He was disappointed, hanging only to Han Jiae, wondering why he’s always with this girl. But he was happy and grateful, at least he’s not with some snobs or maybe his haters or worse, his fans.

But Han Jiae can guess that he’s not apologizing. Instead...

“Its alright” Kyuhyun slightly smiled. Something Jiae didn’t expect.

“O...kay~” Jiae slowly said. She departed as the bell rings, she walked out hurriedly. All these assignment thing made her hungry. Jiae imagined for some chickens and beefs for her lunch.

Oh God, Jiae couldn’t help but smile. She eats quickly as she took a spoonful of seaweed soup and continued to eat her rice. Jiae ate like she’s not eating for a year. Then she continued to eat her food. Jiae even feel grateful that she’s eating alone.

But its another sign.

Kyuhyun watched her from far. She was supposed to discuss about the project, but he sighed as he slowly eat his japchae. Maybe that girl needs some food after all. He’s busy staring at her. She’s a shiksin, oh god..., he shook his head as he watched her eating.


 


 

So, how did they do their assignments?

Apparently, Jiae always found a way. Although she’s scared to do this.

“Two reasons” she said when she asked why. She was looking out to the window of the bus before she faced Kyuhyun. Her hands become sweaty and she felt cold sweats on her face.

“First, because it is a must” Jiae sighed. “Ah, I can’t believe I’m doing this. But, its only for the assignment... since you don’t know which place, so I’m handling this one. Sadly, I have that place... that place I don’t want to go the most”

Kyuhyun’s face straightened as he watched Jiae’s regretting herself. He cleared his throat, giving a signal to Jiae.

“And the second?”

“Right. The second” Jiae scratched her head. “Well...”

“I’m finally got a friend” Jiae told him. “I don’t wanna go to this place alone. I’m grateful that I’m going with you”

“Why are you like that? Where are we going actually?”

 

 


 

where are they going?

I can't believe I'm delaying something here. I'm updating soon.

Thanks for ElfyPuhl who commented and the first four suscribers!