Last Night

Last Night

 

The sun was setting outside as the small apartment slowly grew darker. Yuri was on the bed lying next to Tiffany. Her thumb gently rubbed over Tiffany’s hand as they looked at each other with a silent understanding. After tonight, things will never be the same again for either one of them. It was something that they had mutually agreed to do but it wasn’t easy nonetheless.

 

“I hate this Fany,” Yuri said with a sad look in her eyes. “Is there no way this can be avoided?”

 

Tiffany shook her head and slightly frowned. Sighing she gently said, “We have no choice at this point. We both know this isn’t healthy for either of us…not how it is now.”

 

“I realize that. I understand that but it hurts a lot Fany. I feel like my insides are dying inside…I don’t even want to…,” Yuri’s sentence was cut off as Tiffany put her fingers on her lips.

 

“I don’t want this either Yuri. You know I…,” Tiffany suddenly paused. Those words that used to flow out with so much ease and feeling now caught on her tongue. It wouldn’t be fair to either of them if they kept up the lie any longer. “…care for you. You care for me. That’s why we both decided that it has to be like this. You are hurting and so am I. We’ve been through a lot together and that’s why this pain won’t go away but if we want to have any future together we have to let go now and preserve what we can.”

 

Tears fell down Yuri’s face as she looked into Tiffany’s eyes and saw herself. Her reflection was crying. She knew this was the right thing to do but if only she had a time machine to erase the point in which this terrible ending stemmed from then maybe this would not have happened. There was always the possibility that this was inevitable.  This was the risk one takes when putting in a piece of your heart on the table. Sometimes the cards are in your favor and you get it returned but other times you are left with an empty hole that slowly will repair itself.

 

Yuri wiped the tears on Tiffany’s face and pulled her closer into a hug. She felt arms wrap around her body tightly. She whispered, “You have to decide whether you want to say goodbye or not. In the morning I won’t be back.”

 

Tiffany rested her head on Yuri’s shoulder and said, “I don’t think I’ll have the strength to say goodbye to you…not at that point. I’ll just say now that I’ll see you later. I’d rather us be like this and enjoy this bitter sweet moment. I want to be in your arms one last night.”

 

A soft kiss was placed on Tiffany’s cheek and Yuri sighed. “I won’t forget you Fany. That part of my heart is stuck with you forever as yours is with me. I think with time we’ll be able to come back together. It might not be like this but this time I will trust in fate,” she said nuzzling her nose on Tiffany’s.

 

“Until next time then…,” Tiffany trailed off after nodding.

 

Both of them remained in silence for the rest of the night holding each other until sleep claimed them. The next morning Yuri woke up early and looked at Tiffany’s tear stained face. She was sure that her face looked the same. Sitting up she gazed at Tiffany while lightly brushing her bangs from the sleeping woman’s forehead.

 

“I have faith that you will be back in my arms again. Until then I will respect your wishes and our decision. I love you Tiffany,” Yuri whispered.

 

Sleep betraying her Tiffany whispered, “I love you Yuri.”

 

Yuri smiled as a tear slide down her face. She had hope for them and that was all she could hold on to at this point. Standing up from the bed, she slowly walked to the door. Not looking back she paused with her hand on the knob and whispered, “I’ll see you later.” Exiting the door she locked it and slid the key underneath.

 

Tiffany woke up a few hours later and felt that the only warmth coming from the bed was from herself. She sat up and looked at the small apartment with a heavy heart. This was for the best if they were going to have a shot again in the future. She saw something flicker by the door. When she approached the object she bent down and recognized it was Yuri’s key to her apartment. Only time would know if she would give that key back. As she held the key to her heart she whispered, “See you later.”