Happy Birthday!

A Birthday Present

 

You looked at your phone again. Still – no call or message coming from your boyfriend. You sighed. Of course, who would want to end her birthday without having her boyfriend by her side to complete the celebration. “Seriously, Jinki. Just a call won't hurt.” You whispered to yourself in the midst of the celebration your parents arranged for you. It wasn't a huge event though. Just a small gathering among your close relatives.

 

“Our birthday celebrant seemed to be a bit off tonight. Something wrong, honey?” Your auntie went towards you as you sat on the couch – sulking a bit. You shook your head trying to tell the others that you're okay, but you're auntie was so curious and so determined to tease you. “The cutie boyfriend didn't arrive yet, eh?” She chuckled a bit and rubbed your back.

 

You saw the others looking at you, and you knew from then on that they were about to tease you. Honestly, not everybody in your family was okay with your relationship with Lee Jinki. You belong to a private family that was never involved to anyone publicly, so getting into a relationship with a huge celebrity like Lee Jinki, who happened to be SHINee's Onew, it sure made your relatives a bit wary and concern about you.

 

“Try to understand, Linda.” Your cousin told you and smiled. “He's an idol, and idols, as I think, they almost can't get to have their own time. I think Jinki ssi really wanted to be with you... it's just that... he can't.”

 

“Ok fine, he can't see me. But how about one message? How about a 15 seconds call?” You told her which obviously just showed how pissed off you are. You sighed heavily and rolled your eyes. It's almost 10 pm and not even a trace of him can be detected. “I'm sorry, I think I need to rest.” You said and immediately left your seat to go upstairs and just sleep.

 

“Aigoo, Jagi~ Mianhae!!” As soon as you took one step towards the 2nd floor, someone shouted which made you stop. It was a very familiar voice. Yes you were happy he came, but not satisfied at all because he made you wait for such long hours. “You can't be mad. It's still 10 pm and we have two more hours before your birthday ends!” You looked at him because you just cannot believe he was shouting and letting your relatives hear what he was saying. “Let's go celebrate together?” He grinned – which was definitely one of your weaknesses.

 

You looked at your relatives and they were all looking back at you. You knew that in their minds, they were actually waiting for your reaction. A while ago you were so mad and even spoke loudly about how irritated you are, and now that he's here. What will you do?

 

“Jagi~ Saeng il chukhae ~” You knew you were dead when Jinki used that dubuish smile he often showed onstage to make all the fangirls swoon. You heard your female relatives squealed in his cuteness. Some of them were older, some were of the same age as you, while some were younger than you are.

 

You let out a loud “tsk” but marched down towards the door to approach him. Getting the nearest, you slightly hit his chest. “You are so late, Lee Jinki. You didn't even text or call me. How is it possible for me not to get angry?” You said but instead of replying, he held your hands together.

 

“Omonim, annyonghasaeyo.” He greeted your mother while holding your hand. “Appuji, Annyonghasaeyo.” He turned to your father and greeted as well. “Annyonghasaeyo, Everybody!” He said to everyone in your house. “I'm sorry but... can I have Linda for the rest of the day?” He asked politely which gained weird reactions from the others.

 

“Yah. What are you saying?” I hit his chest again. I was embarrassed.

 

“Go. Enjoy the night and take care.” Surprisingly, your father told Jinki with a smile. It seemed like he was very confident that Jinki would take care of you. Without any second thought, Jinki bowed in thanks and immediately pulled you with him outside your house.

 

“Yah! Where are we going?” You started panicking when you noticed Jinki didn't have a car and that you were actually walking together on the streets towards the bus stop. “You are supposed to hide! Yah!” You even tried covering his face but he refused.

 

“It's time to flaunt to everybody about my girl.” He said, looked at you, and smiled. “Tonight we're going to do something that we have never done before.”

 

“What?!” Unfortunately, your mind worked abnormally fast that you started thinking of some weird thing. “Yah! Lee Jinki! What's on your mind, huh?!” You started panicking again.

 

He looked at you for a second before realizing what you were just thinking. “Aigoo~ Our Linda misunderstands.” He chuckled. “Though I want to do that, I won't do that. We'll do something else, don't worry.” He said.

 

Holding hands, both of you reached the lively street of the City with everyone's eyes fixed on the both of you. And why not? You were a very simple girl having a night walk with one of the hottest guys in South Korea who happened to be your boyfriend – and yes, he wasn't wearing anything that can at least hide his face.

 

“SHINee Onew?” You heard them whispered. “Who is he with?” // “Aigoo~ does he have a girlfriend?” // “But if she's his girlfriend then he won't walk around just like that.”

 

“Oppa...” You called softly. “What are we doing here? Look at those people.”

 

“If you start ignoring, eventually they will do the same.” He said and just continued walking. I was gently removing my hands from him but he refused and held it back – even tighter this time.

 

You bought some snacks and continued walking – just like any other couples during that night – except of course from those eyes looking at you with both confusion, surprised, and intrigued.

 

You were happy, not because you get to be with him like this, but because you were seeing that different kind of happiness in his eyes. He was genuinely happy and contented. His eyes expressed everything though he didn't say anything.

 

“Why?” He looked at you while you were walking.

 

“You looked so happy. I just noticed.” You answered to which he nodded while smiling.

 

“This feels like my birthday and not yours. I don't know. I'm just so happy.”

 

“You're happy when all these people recognize you.”

 

“I'm happy to be recognized with you.” He said sweetly, sending you shivers and almost melted your heart. Jinki then suddenly spotted somewhere not so far.

 

“Karaoke.” He whispered and without any words, he went there dragging you along.

 

The City was noisy during the night, and there was this store who has a Karaoke outside, allowing anyone who wants to sing to have their own spotlight – while everybody who passes on the store will definitely hear their voice as their sing.

 

“Ahjumma, can I sing?” He asked approaching the old lady who seemed to be looking after the machine.

 

“Of course.” She said and immediately handed him the microphone.


“You stand there, Linda.” He said pushing you a distant from him. He pressed the machine and then, a song played.

 

As soon as his voice was heard, everybody stopped and looked at him. But it seemed like he didn't care about anyone. He was simply looking at you, as he uttered those songs coming from his heart.

 

Can you love me...

As much as I approached you?

Now please come to me

Your heart relying on me.

Even if it isn't love, it's okay because I still can see you.

It's alright because I'll still love you.

 

Unknowingly, your tears fell on your face as Jinki sang those lines. You were very happy, and the love Jinki has for you was overwhelming that all you could do is cry. It was unexpected – for him to do such thing when you know he's really shy when he's not SHINee's Onew.

 

“Jagiya ~ Happy Birthday. This is my birthday gift to you. The gift of being recognized not just as Lee Jinki's girlfriend, but also as Onew's girl.” He said. “Don't cry Jagiya ~ You don't want to have not so cute pictures coming out on the internet tomorrow. Everyone, please take her photos beautifully.” He chuckled. “And don't worry about haters... they are your secret fans. Linda... I love you.”

 

He said all those things with his mic on – and everybody can hear him.

 

Immediately, he ran to you and in front of everyone who's watching, he pulled over you to give you kiss on the lips. You were surprised, but instead of feeling all worried, nervous and panicked, you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him even closer.”

 

“I love you, too.” You replied after he let go of your lips.


Song: The Road To Me - Onew Cover