From India to Seoul and Back Again

From India to Seoul and Back Again

 

You were in South Korea on a vacation and you were waiting, to meet your facebook friends, at a restaurant. It was a very popular place in Seoul but you have to book it at least a week beforehand. Luckily, your friends had done it for you and they had booked almost half the restaurant because there’d be that many of them. You were super excited about this fan gathering and you ended up reaching there first, almost 1.5 hours before the actual timing. You sat there going through a book. You were facing the huge glass walls and you could hear some people at the table behind you.  It was a little far but the guys were pretty loud, bless them.

“Hyung. . Jinjja, my ideal type has not changed in so many years. She must be healthy, with beautiful round curves and she should be an independent woman. She should be strong. The very thought of being with a woman like that is thrilling! Our women are way too . .. alike, for crying out loud. “

“What? You want to marry a foreigner?”

“Umm. . I want to marry someone unique.”

“Ah, then marry someone from Brazil or India. None of the idols have Brazilian or Indian wives. That’d be unique.” The guys laughed.

“I wouldn’t mind. Really, hyung.” The younger guy was really passionate about what he was saying.

“Aish .. crazy little kid, you are!  Hyung Jun-ah.”

That name rang a bell in your mind. Hyung Jun? KIM Hyung Jun? Could that be him? You wanted to turn back and have a look but it would be awkward if they noticed you. You slowly got up and took your purse and started walking towards the restroom. On your way, you took a glance at the other table.

It can’t be!! It’s SS501 at the other table. And yes, it was Hyung Jun, your bias! Was this destiny? Your pace quickened as you walked, praying that you wouldn’t fall down, for your entire body was trembling.

You got into a cubicle in the restroom and silently screamed to yourself.

“Hyung Jun? OMO! This is crazy.”

You got out when you felt a little less dizzy. There was nobody in the restroom so you were smiling at your own reflection in the mirror.

“What are you doing here?”  A male voice asked. You turned back to see the face you didn’t want to see here of all places.

“Erm. Isn’t this the ladies’ room?” You could feel the tremble in your voice.

“Ha, ha. Ani! Look at those urinals. Do you use those things? I hope not.”

“Ah, I’m sorry. It’s my first time here. And those? I have not used them ever. But now that you put it like that, I can’t keep off the urge to do that. Ha ha! I’m kidding.” What am I doing? I’ll probably embarrass myself- you thought to yourself.

“Ha ha ha! Aigoo. You’re fun. Can we talk outside this place? Before anyone sees us here? It’s awkward as it is.”

“Yes, sure.” You try to regain your composure.

 

 

 

Outside the restroom, you two introduce each other and talk.

“Ah, so you’re from India! I want to visit that place. Is it as spiritual and serene as they show it in the movies and ads?”

“It’s a country like any other, really. Would you like to come with me? I’ll show the real India to you.”  You winked at him.

“Ha, ha. Why not.”

You two parted after talking for about 20 minutes, standing there in front of the restroom and then you have your fan gathering ( which was super crazy as all the girls and the few boys went awfully crazy seeing SS501 there. But of course, you are mature fans and you do not disturb the idols. But time and again you took a glance at Hyung Jun and he seemed as cheerful as ever. There was a pang of pain as well as joy in your mind. You try to capture as much of him as possible in your mind.)

In a few days’ time, you had already packed up your bags to return. You tell your goodbyes and board the plane. Seated next to the window, tears trickled down your cheeks. “Only if I could have spent some more time with him. A few more words.” You whispered softly.

“Who? Who is he? Marhae. . I’ll call him for you.” An enthusiastic voice whispered in your ears. You’re startled and you look to your side.

“What are you doing here?” You asked the fellow passenger.

“You offered to be my tour guide. I couldn’t turn down that offer. So, now you’re stuck with me. Let’s go!”

“But how did you find . . me?”

“Ya! I’m an idol. I have my ways. And moreover, finding the whereabouts of a beautiful Indian girl, who dined at my favourite restaurant, was not THAT difficult a task. But who was “he”?”

“You.” You told him confidently but your tears wouldn’t stop.

“Ah, pabo.” He blew those tears away and gently placed two beautiful kisses on your eyes.

“Introduce me to your parents. I need to talk to them about something.”

You were puzzled.  “What do you mean?”

“What? I’m not the usual type. I’ll formally ask your parents’ permission to date you.”

“What about my permission?” You gave him a smirk.

“Ah, that I already got.” His grin was contagious.

“Oh? When?”

“Those tears were your answer.” Saying that, he tilted his head and placed a kiss on your lips. And then another one. And another.

This was surely a trip that would change your life- your heart knew it.