The new girl.

Being the New girl.

On your third day of being the “new girl”, you had decided that you were quite sick of it. You were yet to make any friends, or even have a decent conversation with anyone in your grade. At your old school, you had lots of friends, and you were filled with confidence. But here, at this new school, you felt awkward, and almost unwanted.

 

Like usual, you sat in whatever seat was vacant at the time. You had learned on your first day here, that it was best to sit away from other people, to avoid sitting in a spot that had been ‘saved’ for someone’s friend. Today, you would be sitting in the row second from the back, next to the windows, which surprisingly, was almost always empty. Before sitting down you opened the window next to you, letting the cool autumn breeze blow in.

 

You heard the chair behind you scrape gently along the wooden classroom floor, and a heavy sounding bag drop to the ground. Surprised by the loud noise, you spun around to face the person who had just sat down. Suddenly, you found yourself facing the most gorgeous boy you had ever laid eyes on. 

 

 

He lifted his eyes to meet yours, and he smiled coolly. You felt your cheeks burning. His arm tensed as he ran his fingers roughly through his hair. You mustered the best half smile you could before whipping your head around and directing your eyes to your pencils, which you straightened to make yourself look busy. “Aish, what’s wrong with me!?’ you thought to yourself, pressing the pads of your fingers to your cheeks so that you could feel them blushing like crazy.

 

Nearly all lessons after that were the same. He would come in and sit in that same spot and you would make sure that the seat in front of him was vacant, for your own use of course. When you should have been concentrating, you thought about him. The way his hair fell perfectly into place with just one flick of his head, even the way his cologne touched your nose when he walked passed.

 

After a week or so of awkward and shy smiles to each other, you finally learned his name. The teacher had called on him to answer a question. The way his name rolled of your tongue felt perfect, almost like his entire being.

 

One day, you decided that it was time to put your head back where it belonged. Nothing your maths teacher was saying made any sense at all. Luckily for you, there were notes on the blackboard. As you copied them down, you felt something light hit your right shoulder.

 

You turned around, nearly angry. ‘Wha-?” you started to whisper, but your tongue was paralyzed when you realised who had thrown whatever it was. The boy sitting behind you only smirked and pointed to a scrunched up note that had fallen near your feet. Then, with a wink, he stood up, slinging his bag over one shoulder, and excusing himself from class.

 

 

Puzzled, you turned around and picked up the paper. Was it creepy that you noticed that it smelt like him? Gently, you unwrinkled the page and pressed it flat against your desk, before reading the tidy hand writing. It said, “I can’t help but notice you have no one to sit with at lunch, so hows about sitting with me?” then at the bottom, he had signed his name.

 

It had taken over a week, but finally, being at this school didn’t seem to be quite as bad anymore.