i

Don't

 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My name is Seo Joo hyun, but I’m fondly called Seohyun.

Painting is my passion. I dreamed of being a great painter ever since I was a kid. Like what my favourite painter, Vincent Van Gogh , said “I dream my painting and I paint my dream.” 

My great love for painting started when my mother died,

My mom was the only person I can turn to because my Dad is always busy from work.

When I feel lost, lonely  and scared, I just turn to painting to release stress.

I think I paint to escape what's real.

Painting for me has always been a form of diary, things which I could not say with words, I could explain it with a brush.

My works sum up parts of my life, my thoughts, my fears and my dreams.

Now that I’m actually entering college, I plan on taking up Fine Arts. But my Dad thinks it’s a stupid idea.

“Are you completely out of your mind Seohyun?”, I remembered how my Dad angrily shouted at me when I told him that I would like to be a painter rather than what he wants me to be, an architect.

“B-but Dad, this is my dream, this is what I’ve always dreamed about--”He slapped me.

Feeling the pain, I touched my cheek and looked at him. I was shocked. This is the first time he layed his hand on me.

Hurt was evident in my face.,but does not equal with the hurt I’m feeling inside my heart.

I was trying to hold back my tears but failed to do so.

He doesn’t look sorry from what he has done. “WAKE UP SEOHYUN!WAKE UP!!”,He exploded even more.

“I thought you were a smart girl,Seohyun. Seriously,.after years of sending you to a good school you just want to be  a painter!?Think about all the money wasted just because of your stupid dream!”,his words broke my heart into tiny pieces.

“This is what I’m good at,Dad. My heart belongs to painting.”,tears won’t stop from flowing

“What the hell is wrong with you!? You have the talent, the intelligence  and the skills to be a great architect but instead you chose to be a good for nothing painter?!What good will you get from painting-“

“Satisfaction.”, I cut him off.

“Satisfaction?!That’s it? Can satisfaction feed you?”

“For you it may seem like a disadvantage but artists or anyone who's passionate about what they do, do not see any thing as a disadvantage, they see it as the price for doing what they love. You can’t force me to do what you want me to do all the time,Dad!I’m tired of doing things your way, ever since Mom died I feel like I myself died too, because I’m not living as myself, but I’m living another life of yours, I always act as what you want me to! I never had freedom, but did I rebel?No.

Because I always keep in mind that it is what’s best for me and that you’re only doing things to protect me.

But Dad,can’t you see what you’ve done to me? You made me fragile. Scared. Isolated. Inexperienced.

Dad,can you just give me this?Just this chance?Can you trust me that I can handle things myself?”

He was shocked.

I felt guilty seeing Dad’s face, but it felt nice to let out all those frustrations I’ve been bottling up inside.

After that incident, my Dad and I haven’t talked for a week.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A week has passed after my Dad and I had an argument.

One morning, I was going downstairs but stopped  when I  heard somebody in the kitchen, I took a peek.

I was surprised that my Dad hasn't left yet and was having breakfast

It was still kinda awkward so I was having second thoughts whether I should join him or not,

"Seohyun"

Too late, I was caught. He was looking at me through his newspaper.

"Why are you just standing there?Come down here and join me for breakfast."

I nodded and walk towards the table cautiously.

I was putting in some milk on my cereals when he finally spoke up.

"About what I said last week..."

I became nervous, I knew that he wouldn't give up in persuading me.

"I'm very sorry honey,you're right."

I was surprised.I almost choked on my cereal when I heard him say those words.

I looked directly at him,waiting for what he's going to say next...

"I thought about it for sometime, and I would like to give you a chance.."

"REALLY?THANK YOU DAD,THANK YOU"

I stood up and ran towards him to hug him..he stopped me.

"Hep hep,not so fast..Yes,I'm giving you a chance but I'll just give you two years, if you still love painting by then,so be it but If you failed to prove something to me,you will have no choice but to take up architecture.Ok?"

I thought about it for a moment. Dad's really challenging me.

But nonetheless,I'm still happy.

I would be able to fulfill my dreams.

I hugged him.

"Ok Dad,I promise,I'll make you very proud of me"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I practiced painting a lot to improve my skills,

even though some people say that I'm a great artist, I still feel that I'm lacking.

I need to improve more.

I need to learn more.

I was very passionate about learning new and different styles of painting that I decided that I should get someone

who's very much interested as me in this field. to teach me.

So I researched for that "someone",

unluckily there are so many of them that I felt dizzy in thinking hard on who should I approach to teach me.

As I was researching, I came to stumble on a poster of a contest.

Not just any other contest, 

A PAINTING CONTEST.

for both professional and amateur painters.

At first I had the idea on joining this particular contest, but I still don't have enough confidence to participate in such a big event.

So I just planned on watching it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The day of the contest came.

It was my first time watching such an event.

I wasn't expecting that there would be so many people there.

Many artists came.

I watched as how they exchange greetings to one another,

 some of them are busy preaparing their canvass and the materials that they will use.

They were on the stage arranged in a semi-circular manner,and in the middle there was a chair.

I was curious on what would they paint about , is it the chair itself?

 

I took a seat on the third row from the big stage where all the painters are, It was just the perfect spot.

After 15 minutes, a woman wrapped in a towel went to the center of the stage.

Is she gonna be the subject, I gasped.

She removed the towel from her body,exposing her bare body.

Everyone inside the room are artists so I'm assuming that no one would think of it malisciously because this is art.

I watched as the artists beagan to concentrate their eyes on the woman before them.

I imagined how she was feeling all awkward and shy inside,but looking at her she seems at ease.

They started their brushes on their canvass.

Everyone was using different and unique techniques to accentuate their work.

Some are using a technique commonly employed in art to give an object a three dimensional apperance called chiaroscuro.

This technique arranges the light and dark parts as to produce a harmonious effect.

After 3 Hours..

      the contest finally ended.

Everyone gave the participants a round of applause,

each of the particiapants received a certificate of recognition.

I noticed that most of the participants are in their late 30's or older.

After that

 They announced the winners.

"And the grand prize goes to, Mr.Kim Jaejoong!"

I was surprised.

The grand-winner was quiet young,

I think that he's the youngest among all the participants.

He's handsome,NO.That would be an understatement on how beautiful this creature is.

 

The host asked him how he won and asked fo a short speech, He smiled.

He started speaking, his voice is ver beautiful too..His voice is airy.It's soft but very manly.

It's very soothing.

He said:

"Art is more effective when an audience feels like participants in it, rather than just spectators of it. Perspective simply invites the participation of your audience by establishing their viewpoint within your art. Otherwise, the effect is to detach your audience on some level.By introducing a sense of depth, we create space and an extension of reality into our art, enhancing the audience's participation. It is when things appear real that they become real to their senses to some degree, even if below their conscious awareness. Perspective pulls the audience in, letting them experience what may have only previously existed in your imagination.So regardless of your art form, if understanding how your audience sees it and participates within it is important to you, it is necessary that you understand how perspective works. This is something that nearly all professionals in the visual arts must deal with, ranging from film directors to bridge builders, or anyone else that presents imagery to audiences, customers or clients.Thank You and have great day everyone."

 

 

                                                                                        A smile crept on my face..

With  just those words, I'm convinced.

He's the one I've been looking for...

to teach me.

to help and nurture me.

 

 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

to be continued...

*******THANK YOU SUBSCRIBERS!!!>:)< *****

Look forward for the next chapter!