-

Dress Up

 

That one is better than the last one!”

 

You stared at yourself in the mirror, agreeing with your best friend, Hyerim. “It is isn't it?” Your hands ran down the dress, tracing out the details and loving how it made you look like you had more curves than you actually did. “Alright, how much is it?”, you cringed. She put down her glass of champagne and looked at the tag, widening her eyes. “Uhm...It's...It's not impossible.”, her voice went up an octave. “Is there a comma?” She nodded, “Five digits.” Your head went back and you cried out in defeat. “But...this is the one!”, you hugged yourself, “This is the one I want!”, you stomped your foot.

 

You spun around, looking at yourself from all three of the mirrors. “This was the worst idea! Why did I tell Hyojoon I'd pick up her dress?! Now look at me! I'm being ridiculous.” You sat down on the white sofa and grabbed your glass, taking a sip of of the champagne. “She just asked to try on the bridesmaid dress and pick up her dress. And now here I am hours later, playing dress up!”
 

You do look good in the dress though.”, Hyerim added. You groaned, tossing a couch pillow at her. “Stop! I refuse to get all emotional about this right now. I'm still in school...I didn't even plan on getting married until I was at least 25...26. Hell, maybe even later than that...but...Frickin Hyojoon!”, you pouted and slumped forward, downing the rest of your drink. “I have an idea! How about I try on a few and then we can both feel ridiculous!” Before you could even stop her she was already out of the dressing room.

 

Again you stood up and admired the dress. It really was the perfect dress, and you hated it. You weren't supposed to find the perfect dress years and years before you intended. You weren't even sure if you'd end up marrying the boy you were with right now. Hyojoon's younger brother was the whole reason you got tied into her wedding. He was in your Political Science class and swept you off your feet by surprise in a class wide debate. Both of you led the argument and at the very end he ended with, “Well maybe you and I should discuss this more over coffee instead of boring our classmates.” It caught you off guard and you couldn't help but say yes.

 

When you met his family, his sister immediately asked you to be in the wedding party. Even though you didn't think it would be such a good idea. Your relationship with Namjoon wasn't set in stone and you didn't want to end up a permanent reminder of it if you broke up every time they looked at the wedding pictures. But, you couldn't say no to a bride, so you went along with it.

 

Yay! I got a few!” Hyerim walked back in holding three dresses. “I'll be right back!” She went into one of the changing rooms, giddy as could be. Shaking your head you chuckled, putting down the glass and taking another spin in front of the mirrors. “Maybe I can put it on layaway...”, you mumbled. Your heart sunk when you heard your name echo through the store. NAMJOON IS HERE! You gathered the skirt of the dress and shuffled back into the changing room, tugging at the curtain and telling Hyerim in the one next to you to keep shut.

 

I know you're here, the lady up front told me~!” You let out a groan and stuck your head out from behind the curtain, making sure the rest of your body was hidden. “Go aw-” Your voice got caught up in your throat as you saw him. He was dressed in a suit, probably from having trying it on at the other half of the store. “Nice, huh?”, he grinned, showing off his dimpled cheek. You nodded shyly. “Yeah, you look nice...” He moved to where he was in front of the mirror, fixing his tie. “Can you help me? I don't know how to tie this.” You were about to step out but shook your head in response. “N-no, I can't...go away.” Namjoon looked at you oddly from the mirror. “You okay?”

 

Why are you here anyway? When did you get here?”, you threw out. He turned around and faced you.
“Hyung said he wanted us to try on some suits. We've only been here for about half an hour.” You face palmed, he could've seen you going in and out of the changing rooms grabbing a different dress each time. Of course, there was the off chance that he didn't see you at all considering it was a sea of white and it all towered over you so...maybe you were safe this time. “What's wrong babe? Is the bridesmaid dress okay? Do you not like it? Does it not fit right?” He took a few steps towards you but you kept shaking your head. “STOP! D-Don't come any closer!”

 

Hey.”, he said softly, “What's going on?” You let out a whine, “I just...I don't want you to see me, that's all.” Namjoon tilted his head, “I'm going to end up seeing you in the dress later anyway, so why not?”
Your face flushed a light pink, don't give me any ideas!!!!! “Please stop talking.”, you bit down on the curtain and he let out a laugh. “Come on love, just let me see. If there's a problem with it we can get it fixed later. I'm sure my sister would love your input.” You shut the curtain completely, stomping your feet in the small space. “This is so embarrassing!”, you cried out. “What is?”, he asked. Shutting your eyes you stuck your head out again, “Okay, I was just having a little fun okay? Please don't freak out or anything.”

 

Namjoon nodded, “Sure, come on out.” Sighing you went back in, taking in a few breaths. “Okay, don't look...face the mirror!” He confirmed that he was and you your lips before opening the curtain wide, seeing yourself in the mirror as well. His eyes widened when he saw the dress, turning around to face you. “Wow...”, he exhaled. You rubbed your shoulder and looked down insecurely. “Is that a good wow or a bad wow?”, you mumbled. You didn't look up so you didn't see the smile that spread across his face. He walked over to you, took hold of your hand and when you stubbornly continued to look down at the ground he lifted your chin up. Your face burned with embarrassment, so much so that you couldn't meet his eyes and he chuckled. “It's not funny!”, you covered your face with your free hand.

 

Oh, no babe don't cry!”, he hugged you tightly, “I'm sorry, it's just...You look so cute! This, this whole situation is...it's really cute.” His chin rested on your shoulder and you mumbled incoherently into his chest. “You look really beautiful.”, he pulled away and poked your nose. “Really?”, you shyly looked at him. He nodded, “Yes, really~ Come here!” He tugged on your hand and brought you over to where you both were standing in front of the mirrors. You both stared at your reflections for a while, giggling shyly and burying you face into his arm. “Alright, so can you explain how it got from trying on a bridesmaid dress and picking up a wedding dress to trying the wedding dresses on?”, he teased. You shrugged, “The lady asked me if I wanted to try on Hyojoon's but I said no. So then she said 'Oh, would you like to try on your own?' and...I couldn't resist...”

 

Can I come out now?” Hyerim's meek voice came out. Namjoon and you both looked back and you chuckled nervously. “Yeah, she might've tried on a few herself.” He shook his head, “Oh, what are Jin and I going to do with you guys?” As if on cue you both heard his name from outside the changing area. “Namjoon, you in there?” You stepped away from him, but he held you in place. “Yeah, come in!” The other five boys entered, stumbling back in surprise. “Do uh...Do we need to get another suit for your wedding too or can we just use these?”, Jeongguk joked. You rolled your eyes and hid your body behind Namjoon's. “Tah da!” Hyerim pushed back the curtain and froze when she saw her boyfriend, Jin, standing there as well. His eyes scanned her dress, face loosing all color before he ran out. “Jin-ah, I'm just playing around!”, she picked up the front of the dress and ran after him. Leaving the rest of you in a fit of laughter. “We're just playing dress up!”