Arrival

Not Alone

A/N: Yes, it might be obvious that I'm not so good with summaries, but I do hope that the story would do good >< /finger's crossed/ 

Let me know what you think :)


 

CHAPTER 1 - ARRIVAL

Carefully walking in with the other people, or specifically students through the double doors and in the hallway, Victoria immediately sidestepped to avoid the influx of students coming from their respective classrooms and out into the hall as the bell rang off indicating classes were over.

Walking in the crowded hallway, it felt too familiar, like it had only been yesterday she walked into a University with her friends, finding a way in the crowd to their next class. She fairly liked her school years, of course it hadn’t been all too good, but nevertheless, it was good and it made her what she was now.

Finally in relief to have found a spot where it was less crowded, she then returned to her task in finding 221B. Where she would find…

“Gaeguli(means Frog)!”

She ly to see the smirk on a face she knew so well, her face immediately flushed by the nickname. She didn’t know whether she was embarrassed or angry, maybe both at the same time.

“Where were you going?” Kyuhyun asked, confused. Realizing she already had passed his room. She mustered a scowl in the offender’s direction, but she couldn’t keep face as she practically ran to where her brother was.

“Little Boy!” she exclaimed as she stopped in front to kneel, before engulfing him in a tight hug. Carefully though since he was in a wheelchair, but that didn’t stop her from hugging him. Besides she didn’t want Kyuhyun to feel any less different than how she was with him before just because he was in a wheelchair.

“Ack! Too tight- and don’t call me- Yuck! Stop kissing me, yah!” he exclaimed, trying to push his overly affectionate sister. He panted lightly as he pulled away slightly, and wiped his cheek, though there wasn’t any trace of lipstick. He cautiously looked around where sure enough he saw some of his student’s sniggering at him. He’s going to have it next Monday for sure.

“I can call you that anytime and anywhere I want and you can’t do anything about it, Kyu.” She quipped as she stood up again and patted Kyuhyun’s hair and she received a glare which she seemed to ignore. She stood behind Kyuhyun and started pushing his wheelchair.

“Where’s noona anyway? I thought we were meeting at her house later?” Kyuhyun asked, rummaging through his messenger bag for something. “Or did you just hopped off the plane and went straight here?” he stopped and turned to look at her. “You did, didn’t you?”

Victoria made a face, of course he would figure it out, having a professor for a sibling didn’t come out quite as amusing at times. “I sent her a message before coming here, don’t worry.” She said, looking up front and ignoring her brother’s eye roll. “Besides, I’m sure she’s busy with Soojin, I really don’t want to bother her-”

“Victoria Song!”

A voice startled both and they looked up front to find a fuming older sister glaring at them, carrying a confused Soojin with them. And upon seeing Victoria, she smiled, “Vic!” she exclaimed happily.

“Uh-huh, you’d think she wouldn’t bring Soojin and head straight here to glare and scold you.” Kyuhyun deadpanned as he looked at her fuming sister to the one behind her. He knew well that Victoria messaged late and Ahra had already gotten to the airport before getting the message.

“Oh, I know.” Victoria waved weakly at Soojin, “I just thought we’d be out of here before she does.”

 

 

Victoria cooed and played with the barely one year old Soojin as the four of them ate in a restaurant which Ahra had already put together earlier before Victoria’s arrival. She had already gave a mouthful to Victoria as they drove there, and now it was like nothing happened and they were all happy and smiles.

“Soojinnie~ say ahhh…” she held out a spoon before her and waited for the small one to open to be fed. The barely one year old clapped her hands and happily opened and Victoria fed her with baby food that her older sister brought with her, along with a bunch of stuff which babies need.

Kyuhyun and Ahra could see how happy Soojin is and more so Victoria. They both had missed their half sibling and was waiting for her return but surprised it to be so soon, rather than her given date.

“Vic,” Kyuhyun called her attention as Ahra reached out for Soojin, setting her in the stroller beside her and gave her a toy to play with. It was time they had some answers from their sister.

Victoria smiled sweetly at Soojin before turning her attention to her siblings, rather half, but they didn’t care much about it and just called themselves brother-sisters, minus the half. She let out a smile, knowing what was coming and knew too well it wasn’t avoidable. Besides, the two would immediately know when she’s avoiding them, and would be more suspicious.

“Okay.” She started, and the two stared at her and waited. “I know my arrival was very sudden-”

“You think?” Ahra raised an eyebrow, almost scoffing, “Waking me up in 2 in the morning? I thought something had happened!”

“I know eonni, and I’m sorry, it won’t happen again.” She gave her an apologetic smile before continuing. “Anyway, the company had problems, and I’d rather not say and I can’t anyway since it’s confidential and it stays inside the company. I had to go… and I did a lot of thinking so I decided it’s time to go home.” She said, speaking profusely, she hoped it came out naturally than rehearsed.

“You had to go…?” Ahra asked first, even more questions came out in her head rather than answered. “Why didn’t you tell us before?”

“Because I knew you’d be worried, so I kept it until now.”

“What kind of problems? You know you can tell us, we won’t be saying it to anyone.” Kyuhyun looked at her, trying to read her but all he got was that determined professional look that says she won’t be revealing more than what she’s saying.

“Trust me, I’m really not allowed to say.” Victoria gave a pointed look. “They even made me sign a contract.”

Both fell silent. Unsure of what was actually happening and what Victoria wasn’t telling.

“So this isn’t a vacation, you’re going to stay here for good.” It wasn’t a question but a statement. And Kyuhyun knew already seeing how many baggage she had. And it wasn’t just your normal girl packing thing which until now he had trouble understanding.

“Just like that?” Ahra asked, obviously not buying her vague explanation of things. “Haven’t you considered taking a new job there? I’m sure there are some companies that would hire you.” She said, looking concerned. She knew there was something Victoria was hiding, she had always been leaving parts out. And she wished that she didn’t.

“Somehow staying at the same company for 8 years and then moving to a new one didn’t seem as appealing to me before…” she just shrugged. “After some thinking, I decided it was best for me to go home and maybe start new here.”

Saying it was easier said than done of course.

“I just think, I need to test the waters out. I want something new, and I also missed you guys so much and so I’m here.” She said, ending the conversation with a look she gave both of them. “And I want to stay at Kyu’s place for a while-”

“What?” both of them exclaimed in unison.

“Why?” Kyuhyun asked incredulously. It’s not of course that he didn’t want her to live there. Of course- actually, he doesn’t. “Why not go to noona’s house where it’s bigger and they actually have a spare bedroom for you to have?”

“Because I prefer not disturbing Eonni’s life with me there. I’m sure she’s busy.” She explained and gave Ahra a look that says ‘I’m right’ and she was remembering all their phone conversations with Ahra complaining half the time they talked. “And I can help clean with your disastrous apartment.”

Kyuhyun groaned and there it was. He like how his apartment is, despite being so messy. It was how he located things. But he couldn’t do much about it. “Just for a few days.”

“Oh, I know you’re going to beg me in the end to stay there forever.” She quipped, chuckling. Ahra smiled and rocked the stroller who now had a sleeping Soojin.

“You wish.” Kyuhyun muttered as he smirked.

The three talked more about how Kyuhyun and Ahra’s lives were while she was overseas, leaving out even more of their questions to Victoria later. They decided it was too much a nice afternoon to waste and ate and by the time they were finished went to Kyuhyun’s apartment.

 

 

They arrive before sundown in Kyuhyun’s apartment and both women just gaped at the disaster of an apartment their youngest had. Kyuhyun just ignored the two women’s incessant scolding while they started to clean, and Kyuhyun was left to care and entertain the hyper Soojin after waking up from a very long nap.

Kyuhyun took another slap from the child as she squirmed in Kyuhyun’s lap. Ahra laughed as she stood up to give Soojin a toy. “Yah, be a little bit gentler in handling Soojinnie.” She scowled at Kyuhyun then flashed a cooing face at her daughter.

“It’s not my fault she’s bored and couldn’t even crawl at the floor.” He snapped at her.

“And it’s not ours for you to have such a dirty one that Soojin can’t at all.” She snapped back.

Kyuhyun resisted the urge to stick out his tongue at her, which he deemed to do at situations like these. Though they were all adults, they fight and bicker like they did when they were still kids.

He caught Victoria resting at the corner of his eye and smirked, “Getting old already Vic?” he teased. Though seeing the distress from his sister’s face with her eyes closed. He unknowingly felt protective and all brotherly like. “Are you okay?”

Victoria opened her eyes and nodded, fortunately she did before Ahra had a good look at her. She glared then at Kyuhyun. “And I’m not old! And if I am, you’re only one year younger than me so don’t start with that.” She teased back, smirking before going back to cleaning again.

“Uh huh. You two, don’t even start with that.” She shook her head, “You never know, in no time you’ll have a little bundle of joy, like Soojinnie.” She smirked as she glanced at both and saw the horror in their faces.

“Can we please change the subject now…” Kyuhyun groaned, shaking his head at Ahra.

“I’m with you there.” Victoria nodded vigorously.

“Oh, come on guys! It’s not that bad!” she looked at both, her hands on her hips. “Oh well, you’ll know once you guys have a baby-”

“Yah!” both exclaimed, almost glaring at their older sister.

“What?” Ahra looked at them innocently.

“Aish… just stop already.”

Victoria gave a face then chuckled. She stopped momentarily as another surge of pain went through her head. And she resisted the urge to lean back on the wall, she didn’t want any unwanted attention from Kyuhyun and Ahra. She breath out, the apartment was close to clean anyway. She just had to keep it together until later where she can rest on the couch and tell them that jet lag’s a pain in the .

After more than three hours of cleaning with the joined forces of the women the apartment was now fit to live in, than what it was when they arrived. Victoria flopped down the couch, unable to resist anymore. She closed her eyes and sighed at the comfort of the couch, she stretched and then hugged a pillow. If this keeps up she’ll pretty much give in and finally sleep…

“Yah, you might as well change first before sleeping.”

She felt a pillow hit her behind, and nodded tiredly. “Ne eonni, I will…” But as her eyes struggled to open, she gave up and wave a hand at Ahra then succumbed to sleep.

Ahra sighed and looked at her, realizing she is pretty much out of it to change, she decided to do it herself. She got fresh clothes from one of Victoria’s suitcases and told Kyuhyun to go inside his bedroom while she changed Victoria into comfortable clothes. It took much effort now than before when they were kids, but nothing she can’t handle.

She gave her a kiss before tucking her in like how she does with Soojin. A little while later Ahra, carrying a not so tired Soojin in her arms, said their goodbyes to Kyuhyun and went on their way home.

Kyuhyun looked at his peaceful sleeping sister on the couch. Smiling, it had been a good tiring day, he didn’t much show it but he was really glad she was home. Now she’s going to be here, it’ll be less worrying for him for both of his sisters.

He sighed as he opted for paperwork, but only after getting a cup of coffee. He wheeled himself towards the kitchen, where he instantly scowled.

“Great, where’s the coffee?”

 

 

The next morning, Victoria rolled on the couch and fell with a thud on the floor. It took a minute until she realized what happened and she only moaned as she felt ridiculously tired that morning. Though much better than yesterday. She shuffled to sit upright, rubbing her temples with her fingers she took in Kyuhyun’s apartment, and events from yesterday came to mind.

“Ugh…” she moaned as she crawled up on the couch, and stood up, stretching her arms. “Jet lag’s a pain in the …” she muttered as she went to the bathroom, time to freshen up and get ready for the day. It was a routine she did before. Might as well just continue it, she doesn’t do well with change and hated it.

By the time Kyuhyun wheeled in the kitchen, Victoria was already dressed for the day, a cup of coffee in hand and burying herself in her laptop. The food ready on the table was what he smelled from his room and woke up to a grumbling stomach. He looked hungrily at it, he could actually get used to this.

“Ah, you’re awake!” Victoria looked up from her laptop and smiled at Kyuhyun. “Good morning.”

“Morning’s only good because there’s coffee.” He said as he wheeled himself to the table, thankful that the coffee maker is now in the middle of it. “And there’s food. Something you don’t see at my table at…” he peered at the wall clock, “8:30 in the morning.” He looked at her amazed at how ready she is early morning. She’s the complete opposite of Kyuhyun.

“Well, I’m glad you’ll have something healthy to eat now that I’m here.” She stated proudly, smiling though she was still glued to her laptop screen.

“You finding a job already?” Kyuhyun asked after his third serving of breakfast. He looked over Victoria when he got no response. He sniggered, “I said Victoria is frog-”

Then whack!

Kyuhyun rubbed his head as Victoria sat down putting the rolled newspaper down on the chair beside her, she smirked, “I heard you the first time, Chokyu. And yes, I’m looking for a new job…” she trailed off as she focused again on her task, knowing Kyuhyun would stop the teasing.

“Why not take a break for a while? You should take it, it doesn’t happen a lot you know.” Kyuhyun suggested as he went back to eating.

Victoria nodded absentmindedly, though she heard perfectly well what Kyuhyun said. And just the thought of not being able to work might scare her a bit. Of course she’d loved a vacation, but she’d probably enjoy it after a grueling months of work. Besides, she’d probably find something related to work while she goes on vacation. She really can’t help it.

Browsing through her emails, she’s happy to see that some of where she applied had replied for available schedules for interviews and more information about their company. Of course she’d already applied before coming back, then she didn’t have any trouble of finding a job. Though in another tab she’s actually browsing available jobs.

She bit her lip as she worked silently and Kyuhyun ate silently, though she could feel her brother’s gaze landing on her quite a bit at times. And after living with him for 20 years, she knew that he was worried, as with Ahra. Her arrival was very sudden and offering them a vague explanation of things didn’t go too well with them, and them being so close was what made it even harder for Victoria to lie to them. But she had always made this invisible wall when needed to. She had always kept something for herself, she doesn’t give it all away, and much like too personal memories, bad memories, things that she knows will hurt them, direct or indirectly. And she loves them too much to have them burden her problems as well. Her siblings had their own lives to live. And as soon as she gets to work and earn a bit more, she can start finding a new place of her own.

After satisfied with replies and schedules, she’s almost done and ready when a particular email caught her eye. Suddenly feeling suspicious, nervous at the unknown sender. She’s close to opening it when Kyuhyun calls her attention again.

“I’m calling you a frog every time you ignore me.” Kyuhyun said simply, looking at her and concern written all over his face. “Are you done eating?” he asked. He wanted to ask what was wrong but he knew he’d be getting no straight answer.

“Oh,” she nodded, half back to reality and her other half still anxious about the email. She closed her laptop and stood up, immediately cleaning up the table. “Just go… I-I’ll clean up.” She gave him a smile while cleaning the table.

Kyuhyun reluctantly looked at her, but complied. He left her in the kitchen. He just hoped that she’s going to talk soon. Whatever’s bothering her isn’t something light and it might be something much, much more.

After making sure Kyuhyun was not in the kitchen anymore, Victoria stopped, clutching the sink. She could feel herself getting nauseous, whoever sent that must be just a spam, or random stranger who got their emails mismatched.

Would that be possible?

Whatever the reason, it’s just a coincidence. It was nothing.

Suddenly feeling her food coming up, she ran to the bathroom barely had time to close and lock the door, but she did and she vomited.

Somehow, she didn’t believe the convincing she just did a while ago.


A/N: And there it is, the first chap... pretty boring not much going on. But I promise to reveal more in the next! Please comment and give me feedback! :) Thanks for reading!