Touchdown in Taiwan

Just a Dream?

 

I awoke to the gentle prodding of a flight attendant who woke me up to inform me that we would be landing shortly, and to make sure that my seat and table in front of me was in the upright position.

I nodded, only half paying attention.  The other half of me was staring out of the window, watching as the clouds were whisked away as we descended through the atmosphere.

There it was:  Ilha Formosa, as the Portuguese called it when they first sailed to the island.  Ilha Formosa meaning Beautiful Island.  Those sixteenth century explorers knew what they were talking about though.

The plane touched the tarmac at the Taiwan Taoyuan International for the first time in fifteen hours, and the passengers around me were starting to become restless from lack of sleep, the high altitude and the constant sunshine that penetrated the cabin from the few window shutters that had remained open. 

I was beginning to feel restless myself, and the longing for a shower, sleep and food - not necessarily in that order - took over my consciousness.  But I had to clear customs, gather my belongings and make my way - on my own - to my hotel.  Just peachy...

The Boeing 767 taxied to the terminal, and we were finally let off the plane.  I shook hands with Captain Emilie Aresa - having known her in high school - and disembarked. 

I blew through customs, having nothing to declare, hailed a taxi cab and tried - in broken Cantonese - to direct the driver to the hotel.

Exhaustion set in as I loaded my suitcase into the elevator and into the small hotel room that I would practically be living in for the next three weeks. 

It took all my energy to open my suitcase and grab all my supplies for a quick shower.  I needed to wash the gross feeling of travel off my skin before anything else could happen.

Before I could walk into the bathroom, my in-room phone rang.  Striding over, I answered.

"Hello?"

"Is this Mrs. Veronique Staragio?" I could barely understand the male voice on the other end through the heavy accent.

"Yes it is.  Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Your husband is on the phone.  Would you like me to connect him?"

"Yes!" my face broke into a huge smile, even though the man on the other end couldn't see me.  He was calling me from across the world!  I have the best man,in my opinion.

"Okay, one moment please!"

The line beeped twice, and before I knew it the voice of my husband filled my ears.

"Hey Veronique.  Did you have a good flight?" his voice was low and sleepy.  It was probably two o'clock in the morning back home.

"Hi Jordan.  It was a very good flight; I slept the entire way here.  How are you?" tears formed in my eyes.  I hadn't considered the possibility of homesickness until now.

"I'm fine.  The boss is letting me out early this shift, so I can pick up the kids from Bethany and Alex tonight."

"That's wonderful!" I had felt so bad for dropping off Sarah, Mathew and Colette with Alex, my younger brother, seeing as he had six children of his own between the ages of four and ten, but it couldn't be helped.

"Have you heard from the kids yet?" I asked.

Jordan chuckled over the phone lines, "Lorelei and Eleandra have both texted me, saying that they're having way too much fun at the cabin, and that they can't wait to see me.  Jacob and Davin's Scout leader called last night to tell me that Davin had a splinter about an inch long in his prosterior, and that Jacob was flirting with the girls from the Guide group.  Kendra and Cora's leader called to say that they were the best fireside helpers that she could ever ask for.  And Bethany called last night too," I heard the agitation in his voice as he mentionned his sister, "she told me that you had left me in order for you to find some asian man and never return home.  I told her it was a bunch of poppycock and to go to bed."

Bethany had been trying to kill our marriage since the day after our wedding.  She had a personal vandetta against me, as she had been unable to have more than two children due to complications with the birth of her second child.  I had managed to have a dozen children without any major concerns.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, I'll be home in three weeks, and then I'm all yours for two solid weeks.  I'll book a substitute, and we could spend an entire day together, like we did in our senior year."

"God, I love you Veronique.  I'll see you in three weeks.  Don't you go flirting with those asian men now, you hear?" his teasing made me smile.

"I won't Jordan.  You don't have to worry about anything, I promise."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

"Bye."

"Bye."

 

I hung up the phone knowing that everything was still normal at home without me there.

Now, it was time for that shower...

 


Hey everyone!  I know that I still haven't introduced anyone major, other than Veronique and her clan, but just bear with me, okay?  I only have one hour gaps that I can fill!  Thanks!

~fireflies