you are my sanity

Better With You

 

In the middle of the pouring rain
On a crowded subway train
When I’m just about to go insane
You make it go away

 

Kyungsoo hates the rain and even more so the dampness of his clothes after running under the shower beating down heavily on the streets of Seoul without an umbrella. Cursing under his breath about inaccurate weather reports he runs down towards the crowded subway and gave out a long sigh. He just got out of work as a human resources assistant under one insufferable manager in the name of Park Chanyeol who always seems to remain cheerful even on the most stressful of days, this one being one of those.

It would be an understatement to say that Kyungsoo isn't already at the edge of his limit when he pushes himself into one of the train cars b with people with the same destination as him: home.

 

X

 

Shivering from the cold brought about by the wet clothes, Kyungsoo reached for his keys inside his coat pocket. But even before having put it into the keyhole the door to his shared apartment opened and there standing was, Jongin with a worried look on his face and a towel in hand.

“Hyung” Jongin whispered as he walked forward to his damp boyfriend, putting the towel over his head and quickly ushering him inside. Kyungsoo enters and inhales the calming aroma of black tea, his favourite.

“Come hyung, I’ve prepared a hot bath for you” Jongin turns to his hyung and ruffles the shorter’s hair to dry him out a little. He proceeds to drag Kyungsoo by the wrists towards the bathroom when his hyung didn’t seem to react much and kept his head bowed.

“Sorry hyung, I would’ve fetched you after seeing your umbrella by the door but I realized I would’ve been too late since I just arrived from dance practice 10 minutes ago” Jongin scratches his head in guilt hoping that Kyungsoo would react even just a little.

They arrived by the bathroom door with the older’s head still bowed and Jongin heaved a sigh. He guesses he must’ve disappointed the older big time if he refuses to even speak with him.

“Just go and take a bath ok? And have some of your favourite tea right after. Look, Soo I’m really sorry and I understand you must be really tired so let’s just talk later” the younger explained and then pats the older’s head.

That’s when he feels a drop of something liquid on his feet. He looks up at the older boy in front of him and thought, ‘Could it be…?’ and then he hears the telltale sniffle form the other and his eyes widened, Kyungsoo was crying! Jongin felt like he was punched right in the gut.

“Soo?” Jongin whispered as he lifted the other boys chin to make him look straight in the face.

The sight of his boyfriend’s normally bright eyes spilling precious tears, flush face, and barely controlled sobs breaks Jongin’s heart into pieces.

“What’s wrong?” The younger asks because as far as he knows Kyungsoo, he wouldn’t just cry over something as the other not being able to fetch him, they’re not some sappy teenage lovers they’re grown men! At least Kyungsoo fully is. It must be something else, so if the older refuses to talk about it now, all Jongin could give was comfort. He took the boy in his arms and to a warm embrace, letting Kyungsoo cry to his chest.

 

X

 

It has only been two minutes that they were standing there but Kyungsoo felt like it was hours. The amount of stress came crashing down on him the moment he saw the worried look on his boyfriend’s face. It took all the power he has left to not burst into tears and cling to Jongin and never let go but he’s soaking wet and probably smell of rain and pollution so he decided to remain silent and keep to himself even though he wanted to do otherwise. It was only until Jongin apologized the second time thinking that Kyungsoo was giving him a cold shoulder and even thinks he deserves it that he lets the inevitable tears flow because just how wrong Jongin was.

The embrace the younger gave only made him cry harder because for all that Jongin was childish, messy, and insufferable at times, he was also the adorable, caring, understanding Jongin that Kyungsoo loves so much and could never imagine--even for a millisecond--loving someone as much he loves the younger.

“I love you” a sniffle and then the shorter boy looks up with big puffy eyes and says “I love you so, so much it hurts. How is it even possible to still be alive and love you so much? Thank you for always being here Jongin ah” Kyungsoo tiptoes and threw his arms over Jongin’s shoulder and hugs him like he’s never letting go and Jongin all but tightens his hold on the older’s waist as if to keep his heart from bursting to a million pieces and this time, with so much joy.

“I love you too hyung” is the only needed response because those were the only words Kyungsoo needs to hear and kisses the younger boy softly on the lips. At the end of every single day, stressful or not, going home to this is all Kyungsoo needs to keep from going insane. As long as he has Jongin to go home to, everything is alright with the world and he smiles at the thought.

 

X

 

When they pulled apart the older all but sneezes to his hands and the younger laughs because “you really need to have that bath hyung” and “only if you come with me” were the last words spoken before Kyungsoo gives Jongin a supposedly seductive look but with his puffy eyes, red nose and kiss swollen lips he gave off adorable instead and how can Jongin resist that?

 

-END-

 

 

a/n: This would've been a songfic but decided not to since I only ended up writing for one verse. But anyway, thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed it! love lots x